Looking for cheap CC gun

amtilton17amtilton17 MemberPosts: 54 Member
Hey,

I am a recent college grad, working a minimum wage job with student loans. I have a CCP and am looking for a cheap, reliable CC pistol. I would like something at least 9mm and bigger than a Keltec. What are your suggestions? Hoping to stay around $300.

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Look at the Ruger 9mm LC 9, out the door in most gun stores at $299

corrected.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Cheap??

I'd check the local gun shop/pawn shops for a decent used S&W or Ruger revolver. I found a Ruger SP101 for $350, I am looking to find another for not much more.

Buds gun shop has NEW S&W 637 listed at $361, Ruger SP101 in 357 at $464.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,932 Senior Member
    You may need to go used to get something in that price frame. Don't overlook revolvers as a viable defense option.

Check your local classifieds, gun shows, etc... and see what's out there.

What is your experience level with firearms?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    In my limited experience, Ruger's lineup will generally have options that fit your budget while being completely reliable; an example being the P95, which is chambered in 9mm and is a good size for most CC applications. As others have suggested, there are a few revolvers that are also viable options. Have a look at your LGS for the models mentioned here.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,618 Senior Member
    Second on the Ruger P95 idea good firearm for the $$$.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,331 Senior Member
    Cheap and reliable rarely come in the same package...Hit the gun stores and start looking at used handguns, as advised, don't overlook revolvers, there are some great deals out there nowadays...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Not all Keltecs are tiny little things. I have a PF9 9mm that's just a tad smaller than a Wallther PPS. Perfectly relaible and easily conealed Got mine new at a gunshow for $250. You could easily find one in your price range.
    Or you could find a subcompact Glock in 9mm or .40 used in that range.
  • amtilton17amtilton17 Member Posts: 54 Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    You may need to go used to get something in that price frame. Don't overlook revolvers as a viable defense option.

Check your local classifieds, gun shows, etc... and see what's out there.

What is your experience level with firearms?

I have a little experience with firearms. I have fired a Charter Arms .38 and Springfield XD 9mm (which I owned at one point but had to sell).
    amtilton17 wrote: »
    I have a little experience with firearms. I have fired a Charter Arms .38 and Springfield XD 9mm (which I owned at one point but had to sell).

Cool. Just making sure you were not a complete novice before making recommendations on guns.

Ruger is a darn good choice, except the P series are a little big and bulky for concealed carry. The SR series is too new to find one for under $300.

If you are comfortable with checking out a used gun, there are lots of options you can find. The last gunshow I was at had lots of S&W Autos for under $300. They were beat up looking, but serviceable. Also, I saw several of the Kel-Tec P11 9mms that were under $300.

You are just going to need to shop a lot to find it.

You mention the Charter .38. I have a Charter .44, and it is a Darn fine inexpensive handgun. Also, the Makarov would be a good "Non-9mm" choice if you were open to other calibers.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Again the Ruger LC 9 is going at less than $ 300 NEW (NIB) at most gun stores and gun shows, the average price is $299 from what I have seen here in Oregon.

compRugerLCPLC9.jpg

As you can see, it is only a bit bigger than the .380 acp version.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,315 Senior Member
    Used Glock 26 perhaps? XD9 compact, too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Brown bag lunch a few weeks and save money for a Glock, M&P or XD ... what's worth more your safety or eating out at lunch for a few weeks?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,466 Senior Member
    Buying a cheap CCW is like buying condoms from a seconds store. It's a chance you don't want to take. All the cheap revolvers have long been gone, as almost all agencies have gone to autos a long time ago.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    300 is doable if you have patience and luck. Hell, I once paid 100 bucks for a Bersa in great shape. I would be thinking used though for sure ...

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,331 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    All the cheap revolvers have long been gone, as almost all agencies have gone to autos a long time ago.

Maybe that's true in your locale...around here, solid, used revolvers are in abundance, lots have been traded in for semi-autos. Saw a really nice S&W Model 10-6 Heavy Barrel this morning for $275.00. A veritable revolver nuts dream...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    "Saw a really nice S&W Model 10-6 Heavy Barrel this morning for $275.00. A veritable revolver nuts dream..."

I would love to have one of those.

And way back when the best way to pick up an extra S&W revolver either a M-36 or a M-10 was to buy one from a retiring LEO that did not want extra guns lying around and you could pick up a pristine Chief or M-10 for around $50
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Although we knew what you meant when you said "cheap" a better phrase might have been "economical" or "budget priced", implying decent quality and not just junk.

For a 300 buck price range you are probably better suited for a Ruger revolver, like a smallish model in .357mag or .38spl. Rugers have the reputation for not being fancy, but durable and reliable. So a clean used wheelgun might be a good place to start looking.

A little hint on checking excess wear on revolvers... Most people try to rotate the cylinder to see if the action has too much play. Instead, do this (with an unloaded gun), first cock the hammer and THEN try to rotate the cylinder back and forth, seeing how well the locks hold the cylinder in line. This is a much better test for excess action wear on the cylinder locks.

Don't "dryfire" the gun because it's not good for the firing pin, so "catch" the falling hammer in your fingers, but still, test the smoothness of trigger pull and sharpness of trigger release. Everything should be uniform in action, with each trigger pull and release similar.

Guns wear and will show normal caseing wear if they've been carried a lot even if not abused. So gradual abrasions on the edges and corners are to be expected. What is not normal wear would be heavy abrasion along one portion of the gun frame, or sharply defined notches, indicating the gun may have been dropped negligently.

All in all, it's hard to find a better starter self defense gun than a nice used Ruger .357mag.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Apparently you have not done much price / product comparisons, Ruger's line of semiauto handguns tend to be lower in price as compared to their revolvers.
    A better CC option is the Ruger LC9 I mentioned a few times already and at $299 quite a bargain with Ruger's reliabitiy good reputation and commitment to service.
    Ruger produces a good quality handgun at a good price.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    A better CC option is the Ruger LC9 I mentioned a few times already and at $299 quite a bargain with Ruger's reliabitiy good reputation and commitment to service.
    Ruger produces a good quality handgun at a good price.

There are two good reasons I have nor recommended the LC9. He asked for something bigger than the Kel-Tec, and since the LC9 is the same size as the Kel-Tec PF-9(http://www.keltecweapons.com/store/pf-9-3/), that kind of cuts it out of the running.

the second reason is that I know 3 people that have had the LC9. Two have had to return to the factory, and the other one... well, the other one had a bad enough review with a horrible trigger, that I am waiting for Generation 2 or 3 before I recommend it.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    There are two good reasons I have nor recommended the LC9. He asked for something bigger than the Kel-Tec, and since the LC9 is the same size as the Kel-Tec PF-9(http://www.keltecweapons.com/store/pf-9-3/), that kind of cuts it out of the running.

the second reason is that I know 3 people that have had the LC9. Two have had to return to the factory, and the other one... well, the other one had a bad enough review with a horrible trigger, that I am waiting for Generation 2 or 3 before I recommend it.

The LC9 is possibly the worst gun I've ever shot (and I've shot quite a few), especially the long, long, long trigger pull. I have an LCP for pocket carry and don't like that trigger either, but the LC9 makes the LCP a pleasant shooter.

I don't think anyone mentioned Glock yet, but a used Glock 26 or 19 can be had for around $400. Glocks are workhorses and notoriously reliable even if they are well-used. They are also popular so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a decent used one that haven't been shot too much.

I'm with Gene. You are looking for a gun that your life will depend on. Suck it up, save up, and buy the best that you can afford beyond a "cheap" gun.

:beer:
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,855 Senior Member
    If it were me...

I would stretch a bit if I could afford it and get a Glock 22.... $349 plus shipping and handling.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html

44037942.JPG

Or a Glock 17 from the same people for $385 plus shipping and transfers...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_17__369.html

45196928.jpg

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    For some reason the Gen 2 Glock 22 are going dirt cheap all over, I have seen them as cheap as $ 320
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,330 Senior Member
    I'd imagine the reason is that some agency has gotten rid of a bunch of them.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Why ? it is a question that begs an answer.

Every other used model Glock seems to sell at almost new prices except the Glock 22
    Hmmmm... Must depend on area. Around here they ALL sell at almost new prices!

If they're factory reconditions, it might be something Glock mandates. Or market saturation.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,855 Senior Member
    Glock 22's sell for less because the departments that issue them buy them for around $395, or less. and when they feel it is necessary upgrade to gen3 / gen 4, or different guns like the .357 Sig or to .45's from .40's, etc. the sell them back to the brokers. The brokers buy them and sell them for what the market will bear. Any LEO can get a Glock for $395 at a dealer shop, so some sell them for $350 - $375 when they are done with them to get on to their next gun.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I don't think there is any doubt that a nice used Glock is a good "starter" pistol for inexpensive entry to self defense. I'll still contend that a Ruger revolver in .357 is sill a better bargain, most likely a better buy for the money than any semiauto, simply because revolvers are less expensive on base.

That being said, if he can find a decent, good condition 9mm pistol in his budget, that's another choice.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    A little hint on checking excess wear on revolvers... Most people try to rotate the cylinder to see if the action has too much play. Instead, do this (with an unloaded gun), first cock the hammer and THEN try to rotate the cylinder back and forth, seeing how well the locks hold the cylinder in line. This is a much better test for excess action wear on the cylinder locks.

I agree with Sam - checking "cylinder play" with the hammer down on a revolver is a bit like test-driving a car... in neutral. Even better checks include timing - making sure the revolver's chambers are lining up and the cylinder properly locking in place for firing. Cycle the hammer/trigger placing a little drag on the cylinder with the fingers of the other hand. If the cylinder fails to lock on all chambers doing this, there is a timing issue. Then with trigger pressed and hammer down, (a better check IMO than with the hammer back) you can get an idea for cylinder "looseness" and end-shake (the forward and back movement of the cylinder, in-line with the barrel).

Keep in mind that NO revolver (at least that I've found) will be completely free of a slight movement either in rotation or in fore-and-aft play. The nature of the beast is it will need a little "give" in the works if it's going to keep functioning, especially if it gets a bit dirty. As long as the cylinder locks with the chamber well-positioned behind the barrel, and the end-shake won't cause lead-spitting issues and an unsafe cylinder gap, even older guns can be quite accurate - I carried a well-used S&W Model 15 for duty and concealment some years back that showed significant holster wear (LEO trade-in when I got it), and had a tiny bit of end-shake and a noticable but not excessive "click" feeling when you applied rotation pressure to the cylinder with the works in "fired" position, hammer down after a trigger pull, trigger held back. That revolver got no bad marks whatsoever for accuracy from me!

Learned this trick from our gunsmiths, who found more problems with ill-treated Colt Pythons this way - about half of them that came in for sale/trade had some issue or other with timing. Excessive .357 Magnum use may have been the culprit with most, a few may have suffered "cylinder slam" at the heavy hands of a Hollywood-inspired pistolero.
    With revolvers, lockup may not be accomplished until the trigger is actually pulled. Some Colts (maybe all?) are like this.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I don't think there is any doubt that a nice used Glock is a good "starter" pistol for inexpensive entry to self defense. I'll still contend that a Ruger revolver in .357 is sill a better bargain, most likely a better buy for the money than any semiauto, simply because revolvers are less expensive on base.

That being said, if he can find a decent, good condition 9mm pistol in his budget, that's another choice.

I'm a fan of revolvers. I love shooting them. Given the budget nature of the question though, I think ammo price and accessory availability/cost should be taken into consideration. I can consistently find 9mm ammo for below $10/box. The lowest I've paid for .38spl this past year was $13/box, $15/box for .357mag. I can't find those prices anymore. Glock accessories are everywhere, which tend to keep the prices low. You can even get a 22LR conversion kit for most models of Glock, something you can't do with revolvers. A .357 revolver may be $50 - $75 a bargain at purchase time, but it will cost more in the long run.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama