Home Main Category General Firearms

Chambered round leading to extractor spring wear?

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
I was curious if leaving a round chambered for an extended period of time would cause pre-mature wear on the extractor spring in a semi-auto pistol by staying in a compressed state for a long time without relief? I am asking because on my daily carry, I keep a round in the chamber and in between range trips, it can stay there for a several weeks/a month at a time. Thanks.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Don't worry about it.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    You sure, it's not a .327 ? Just joking Ned.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    What wears spring is cycling them (compressing and letting them expand) multiple times. Leaving it compressed for a long duration won't cause premature wear on a quality spring.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One of my neighbors had his father's 1911 which had been left in a nightstand drawer since the mid-1950's fully loaded, cocked and locked, until the early 2000's. After a fire which got it coated in soot and water, but otherwise undamaged, we shot up two boxes of WW II issue GI ammo before he did a refinish job on the gun. The gun functioned flawlessly, and we only got two dud rounds out of 100.
    Jerry
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,955 Senior Member
    No, but dropping the slide over a chambered cartridge will force the extractor over the rim of the cartridge. That can cause extractor problems since they are designed to let the rim slide up under the extractor.

Just leaving a cartridge chambered should cause no issues.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Good deal, thanks for the info guys. Always much appreciated.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,590 Senior Member
    No, but dropping the slide over a chambered cartridge will force the extractor over the rim of the cartridge. That can cause extractor problems since they are designed to let the rim slide up under the extractor.

Just leaving a cartridge chambered should cause no issues.

Can you please clarify this for me? I'm still learning..............

It is my understanding that for, say, a 1911, the best practice for loading is to lock the slide open, insert the magazine, and pull back on the slide and release. Forgive my ignorance, but what you wrote there reads to me like that method could be harmful to the extractor. I guess I'm getting hung up on the phrase "dropping the slide". I'd be grateful for some clarity.......
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Can you please clarify this for me? I'm still learning..............

It is my understanding that for, say, a 1911, the best practice for loading is to lock the slide open, insert the magazine, and pull back on the slide and release. Forgive my ignorance, but what you wrote there reads to me like that method could be harmful to the extractor. I guess I'm getting hung up on the phrase "dropping the slide". I'd be grateful for some clarity.......

What he's talking about is dropping a single round in the chamber, then releasing the slide....not letting the slide strip a round out of a magazine...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,955 Senior Member
    Bingo.

When the slide strips a round out of a magazine, the cartridge slides up the face of the slide, and the rim slides under the extractor. The cartridge doesnt pop out of the magazine and into the chamber,,,,,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRMcTlbWTs That ought to help.
    If you drop a cartridge in the chamber and hit the slide release, the extractor is forced over the rim of the cartridge like your car going over a bumper block in the parking lot.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,590 Senior Member
    Ok, makes sense. Don't know why that struck me funny. Thanks for the info :beer:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    It's really only an issue with internal extractors (1911, early Hi Powers). Pistols with external extractors (Glock, Kahr, etc.) have been designed for the hook to slide over the rim.
    I'm just here for snark.