Home Main Category General Firearms

Dont leave your cleaning rod in the barrel of your 338 Lapua Magnum.................

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,364 Senior Member
..........at the range and then fire a round...............

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/19/338-lapua-magnum-kaboom/
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Last time I saw one of those incidents the barrel looked like a cartoon gun, the barrel was all sharp and spikey fragments like a strange flower......

Ok, now that I remember, the incident involved a rifle in .300 WSM a Remington 700 ish IIRRC, and it was not a cleaning rod, it was a bore sighting scope, everything else about the rifle was intact, only the barrels last 4-5 inches opened up like a flower.

We turned the barrel down, and later replaced it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, the problem is obvious. He was cleaning a bolt action rifle from the muzzle. If he'd been cleaning his bolt action rifle from the breech, then this accident would not have been possible. :tooth:

Glad no one was seriously hurt!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Well, the problem is obvious. He was cleaning a bolt action rifle from the muzzle. If he'd been cleaning his bolt action rifle from the breech, then this accident would not have been possible. :tooth:

You're right mike, cleaning from the wrong end for sure. That shooter was the luckiest guy at the range that day. What destruction. Almost seems impossible he didn't lose half his face and an eye....or two!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,501 Senior Member
    La.....KABOOMpua!!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    At least that rifle is out of its misery. A precision long range rifle cleaned from the muzzle is probably the victim of many other firearm molestations sinful to the sport.

His other rifle is probably a .270.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If I had to guess, I'd say the bullet tried to ride over the cleaning rod and jammed the bullet just ahead of the throat. With nowhere for the pressure to go, it blew up the action in the chamber area.

I was taught (read YELLED AT) to ALWAYS use a cleaning rod guide when cleaning rifles that could only be cleaned from the muzzle. Once I got a lathe, I turned out guides from hard brass stock to do that for the rifles. I've got them for pistols, too. And I have some Derlin plastic rod guides to use when cleaning from the breech. Cheap protection.

And I've seen a few ramrods for muzzleloaders launched by inattentive shooters. But none of them blew up, and it was with traditional sidelock rifles. Only injury was from the laughter of bystanders. But with the new sabot bullets and 150 grain equivalent loads some are shooting, I could see the same thing happening to the inline muzzleloader crowd.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams