Home Main Category General Firearms

Trade question for the brain trust, help me decide please.

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Thinking of trying out the .300 Blackout. I have the opportunity to possibly pick up This rifle...
Remington 700 sps tactical, aac 300blackout in excellent shape. It has an extended internal mag that took the original capacity from 4+1 to 7+1. Comes with bagder ordnance oversize bolt knob on threaded bolt handle, Midwest Industries 10 moa scope rail, Leupold medium rings, Nikon P-300, 2-7 power scope with lense covers and original box an paperwork and a Troy industries claymore muzzle break. The rifle also comes with over 100 rounds of factory ammo so I'll have some to start with while I am waiting on brass and dies.
Reimgton700AAC300BO_zps9df499e6.jpg

I have several rifles in .308 so one will not be missed, this is the trade fodder...
FN PBR rifle chambered in .308, controlled feed detachable mag, 24" medium heavy barrel, Hogue overmoulded pillar bed stock and topped with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50mm scope and Leupold Aluma caps.
4A44D13B-CB14-4B74-BB44-64BF24394C2A-1840-000002C76A1AC32D_zps7aea224a.jpg

So what do you think, if he wants to trade should I go for it? I have thought about giving the .300 BO a try off and on but also kind of feel I will find it is just a wimpy .308. On the other hand I like the ballistics of the round out to about .200 yards and it might be a neat round to play with using full house 110 or 125 grain bullets with the suppressor. The reduced case capacity might also perform better with the subsonic loads and alleviate some of the inconsistent burns I am seeing with .220 grain subsonic rounds with Trail Boss powder.

So what say you guys?
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    The only advantage I see the 300 BO has over the 308 is playing around with subsonic loads. With full house loads, it's just an Americanized 7.62 Soviet.

Why not just buy a 300 BO upper for one of your ARs? If you try it and don't like it, it should be pretty simple to get rid of it at the next gun show.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I've thought about that too but then there would be cash out for it but may go that way if this doesn't work out. Trade would be easy and like I said, I have several rifles in .308, the PBR has only seen daylight once in the last 3 years so it really wouldn't be missed.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    It is a wimpy .308. If you want a .300 AAC load in a .308 use about 40g of H4895 under a 130 gr bullet and it will be nearly identical. Plus you already have a suppressor ready .308 formula.

IMHO,

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    It is a wimpy .308. If you want a .300 AAC load in a .308 use about 40g of H4895 under a 130 gr bullet and it will be nearly identical. Plus you already have a suppressor ready .308 formula.

IMHO,

D

Very true, that's probably why I am up in the air about the trade deal.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Very true, that's probably why I am up in the air about the trade deal.

You can make the .308 do anything the .300 can do, but you can't make a .300 into a .308.....

It only makes a little sense within the size restrictions of an AR, none in a bolt.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    The FN is way nicer IMO. Not a .300 AAC fan.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    The FN is way nicer IMO. Not a .300 AAC fan.

It is a super nice rifle and sub moa shooter, I have always run 125 grain bullets out of it with awesome accuracy. Probably best to keep it and leave the .300 BO idea alone!
    timc wrote: »
    It is a super nice rifle and sub moa shooter, I have always run 125 grain bullets out of it with awesome accuracy. Probably best to keep it and leave the .300 BO idea alone!

Have it cut down and threaded if that's your attraction to the Remington. I think it would be a better rifle....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    cpj wrote: »
    Wait, what? You are considering us your "brain trust"?

How long you been here again?

More like a brain twist than a brain trust....
    cpj wrote: »
    Wait, what? You are considering us your "brain trust"?

How long you been here again?

You know what they say; "When you live in the land of the blind, the one eyed man will be king!"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Looks like a half-grown .30-06. Isn't that sending a boy to do a man's job?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    I would pass on this trade opportunity.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    I would pass on this trade opportunity.

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I would probably pass on this straight up trade, on the other hand if he is willing to swap out scopes I might consider. As you mentioned about having quite a few .308's and haven't shot it much, a new round and gun in the stable is always fun. I really don't know much at all about the round, but would be willing to go learn with some range time!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Keep the FN. No brainer.
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    One trip in three years? Not feeling the love
    , make the trade and go have some fun. Better than a safe queen in my opinion.
    Varget wrote: »
    One trip in three years? Not feeling the love
    , make the trade and go have some fun. Better than a safe queen in my opinion.

I'm going to keep the FN for now, safe queen status doesn't really bother me, I got a vault full of them so it won't get lonely.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    As much of a Remington fan as I am... An FN PBR for a 700? HELL noo!

Yep, I think I'll just look for an upper to play with. I have a gen II night scope just laying around looking for a home, a .300 upper may be just the ticket!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Seems like a colossal waste of time without the suppressor/220 grain combo, and it's another one of those "Let's see what fits in an AR mag well" rounds. Putting it in an action sized for .308's? Yawn. Big yawn.

Now a Ruger 77/44 with a 300+ grain bullet at subsonic speeds . . .THAT would interest me.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I thought I'd posted this before, but don't see it.

Anyway, I have a Remington 700AAC, which is threaded for a suppressor, which I have. It's a good gun with a good trigger and very accurate. With the suppressor, it's quiet. I got it because I had a .30 caliber suppressor without a gun to go with it. It's cute, neat, and very quiet. Be a good hog rifle and maybe a good coyote rifle. I shoot 220 gr. bullets. As with supersonic rounds, it's not overly impressive, fine for deer and such, but not beyond that. But then you've got plenty of .308 rifles to take up the slack.

You obviously want it. I say go for it. For me, it's a fun gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Brain trust, brain fart, no brainer, brain drain...... hmmm, off to bed.....

Perchance to dream, what dreams may come, when We too, must shuffle off this mortal coil.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Curious as to what make a FN PBR so much better than a Remington 700? Honest question, looking at prices I see about a $100 difference.
    twa wrote: »
    Curious as to what make a FN PBR so much better than a Remington 700? Honest question, looking at prices I see about a $100 difference.

Well I'll put it to you this way, the FN is a model 70 Winchester action, hammer forged barrel, controlled feed, sub moa shooter. I have a model 700 that shoots just as well but only after I put a shilen barrel on it, a new stock, Timney trigger and glass bedded the action. The FN did it out of the box.
    Are you enabling me timC :devil:
    Sounds like I need one.
    You are very welcome!
    Glad you sobered up... :tooth:

It was a two martini day!
    Looks like those fn's are hard to come by. What is a fair price for one these days?
    My martinis are 6oz of BombaySapphire and 1oz vermouth. One is enough to make me think stupid :tooth:

4 oz of Svedka, 1 oz vermouth and 2 oz of Olive juice, I like em dirty!