Jaywapti asked me to post this about a true American Hero!

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,062 Senior Member
Van T. Barfoot died at the age of 92 on 2 last March 2013. Remember the guy who wouldn't take the flag pole down on his Virginia property a while back? You might remember the news story several months ago about a crotchety old man in Virginia who defied his local Homeowners Association, and refused to take down the flag pole on his property along with the large American flag he flew on it.

Now we learn who that old man was. On June 15, 1919, Van T. Barfoot was born in Edinburg , Texas . That probably didn't make news back then. But twenty-five years later, on May 23, 1944, near Carano, Italy, that same Van T. Barfoot, who had in 1940 enlisted in the U.S. Army, set out alone to flank German machine gun positions from which gunfire was raining down on his fellow soldiers. His advance took him through a minefield but having done so, he proceeded to single-handedly take out three enemy machine gun positions, returning with 17 prisoners of war. And if that weren't enough for a day's work, he later took on and destroyed three German tanks sent to retake the machine gun positions.

That probably didn't make much news either, given the scope of the war, but it did earn Van T. Barfoot, who retired as a Colonel after also serving in Korea and Vietnam , a well deserved Congressional Medal of Honor.

What did make news...
was his Neighborhood Association's quibble with how the 90-year-old veteran chose to fly the American flag outside his suburban Virginia home. Seems the HOA rules said it was OK to fly a flag on a house-mounted bracket, but, for decorum, items such as Barfoot's 21-foot flagpole were "unsuitable". Van Barfoot had been denied a permit for the pole, but erected it anyway and was facing court action unless he agreed to take it down.

Then the HOA story made national TV, and the Neighborhood Association rethought its
position and agreed to indulge this aging hero who dwelt among them. "In the time I have left", he said to the Associated Press, "I plan to continue to fly the American flag without interference."

As well he should. And if any of his neighbors had taken a notion to contest him further,
they might have done well to read his Medal of Honor citation first. Seems it indicates
Mr. Van Barfoot wasn't particularly good at backing down.

Van T. Barfoot's Medal of Honor citation:

This 1944 Medal of Honor citation, listed with the National Medal of Honor Society,
is for Second Lieutenant Van T. Barfoot, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry:

WE ONLY LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE! AND,
BECAUSE OF OLD MEN LIKE VAN BARFOOT!
May he Rest In peace.
JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    Another Great American gone.

RIP Colonel Barfoot :usa:
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    May he Rest In peace.

Amen to that sir.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    :angel2: RIP sir!
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting!! We need more like him these days, our generation and younger!!:usa::angel:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    May he rest in the peace that he well deserves!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Rest in Peace Colonel...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    :iwo::angel2:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    That guy became a hero in my eyes the first time I heard about his HOA troubles!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    Thanks to Make_My_Day for posting this, cause there's no way I know how to do it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    An honorable man and a hero that wouldn't back down. Rest in peace.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.