Home Main Category Personal Defense

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,561 Senior Member
    Absolutely NOT for me!

Too great a chance of collateral damage. I'm responsible for everything that comes out of the barrel of my gun. Something that WIDENS that area of responsibility is NOT my friend. I spend too much time trying to NARROW that area of responsibility. This tool can piss up a rope as far as I'm concerned.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Nope. Don't EVEN want one of those on a shotgun. The squeezing down of the round cylinder shot charge still inside the shot cup is going to put a LOT of stress on the shotgun and the threads on the inside of the barrel and on the attachment. I can see catastrophic failure with that device.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I don't think it's a gimmick, from watching the video I think it'll do exactly what the manufacturer says it will.

I do however, thing that it's a PHENOMENALLY horrible idea. Like Zee said, I want less spread (to the point of running slugs in my HD shotgun, instead of buckshot) not more.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    It spreads the shot up to 6 feet at around 12 yards ..................Um......no thanks...........bad idea
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Now for all you gangster shotgun defenders this should be the most awesome tool available. :)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Finally, some true to the adage you don't have to aim a shotgun.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    It better have a silencer built in for the price too - holy crap. Looks like it could take out a covey of quail?:uhm:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    That actually would be good for a rabbit hunter that walks up his own rabbits in heavy brush and grass when shots need to be made fast and close.
    twa wrote: »
    It better have a silencer built in for the price too - holy crap. Looks like it could take out a covey of quail?:uhm:

Yeah, close quarters quail too.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I have no desire for that device.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    Ummmm. . .lemme get this straight, you want me to deploy a device that takes destruction AWAY from my shotgun's point of aim???

Most of the work that has been done with tactical shotgun in the last 10-20 years has been to TIGHTEN the pattern to increase effective range and reduce the possibility of collateral damage. The whole attraction to the shotgun as a CQB weapon is the massive amount of bad news it places on one torso. The Hollywood notion of the gigantic Cone O' Death is laughable. Nine to twelve pellets of 00 buck hitting as a group is a freight train; a single pellet separated from the group travelling on its own is a .32 Auto. Contrary to what M told 007, this is no great shakes.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,697 Senior Member
    Mossberg has been putting a shot spreader on one of their .410's for a long time.......

MS50359lg.jpg

I guess they wanted to reduce the awesome power of the .410 so it didn't blow the BG's in half and mess up the inside of your house........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I recently tested different shot in home defense scenarios. The LAST thing I want is bigger spread. I suppose the product may have a use, but not for me. It also take a multi-use platform and narrows it dramatically. The guy carrying that would constantly say nope can't take that shot, nope not that one either, oh wait...no can't do that, etc, etc, etc.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    A guy had an old Savage (I think it was a 16 ga) pump and it had a awesome looking choke on the muzzle. Intimidating looking. I think from the 50s or 60s?

You can almost buy a good used 12 ga pump fer the price of that thing. Not for me.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    A guy had an old Savage (I think it was a 16 ga) pump and it had a awesome looking choke on the muzzle. Intimidating looking. I think from the 50s or 60s?

You can almost buy a good used 12 ga pump fer the price of that thing. Not for me.
    cutts compensator?

I had a polychoke from the 50's that spread a shot string 4 ft wide at 7-10 yds.
    So, don't police use cylinder bore shotguns already not modified or full chokes?

My Mossberg Mariner is cylinder bore, I've heard them called police bore in years past.

Check out these pics/diagrams/graphics on chokes.They even have a Neg bore @ -.005 below/more open .735 than cylinder .000/.730 and a super full @ .675 tighter than a full @ .695

https://www.google.com/search?q=different+shotgun+chokes&client=firefox-a&hs=bxV&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m4D3UofHD-nsyQHp5oCQBQ&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=606
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    WOW!!!!
    We all agree??????????????
    I use slugs myself, so.....:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wouldn't an 8-lb hammer and an anvil accomplish the same result for a lot less cost- - - - - a shotgun muzzle that resembles the grill on a '58 Edsel?
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Which famous Texas lawman used a "duckbill" on his shotgun? Had a propensity for shooting "mesicans"....my memory is failing....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Which famous Texas lawman used a "duckbill" on his shotgun? Had a propensity for shooting "mesicans"....my memory is failing....

Mine too. Charlie something-or-nother.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    That's the guy!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    It's always "Navy SEAL's used this back in Nam" blah, blah, blah.

Why change something that's worked just fine for hundreds of years. Gun sales up at record numbers and the must have Wal-mart warrior gimmicks just keep coming.
    He was a colorful character alright. I used to read his articles in gun rags. From the link above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Askins

"Askins was controversial for the relish with which he described the numerous fatal shootings in his law enforcement and military careers, stating he had killed 27 men.[1][4] Because he was involved in numerous shootouts along the US/Mexico border, and due to his stated practice of not keeping track of African-Americans and Hispanics, the actual number of killings he committed was potentially much higher.[1] Askins once remarked that he thought he was a psychopathic killer, and that he hunted animals so avidly because he wasn't allowed to hunt men anymore.[1] Askins was a contemporary of Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Jack O'Connor.[1] These people, except for Skelton, as well as Askins, Audie Murphy, and Ed McGivern, were used as inspiration for characters in the Stephen Hunter novel Pale Horse Coming.[7]"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,081 Senior Member
    It's always "Navy SEAL's used this back in Nam" blah, blah, blah.

Thing is, for what the SEALs used the duckbill'ed Ithaca pumps for, it's a good idea... but fails in execution. Close quarters hooch clearing, or for deck clearing on small boat riverine operations- it SOUNDS like a great idea.

But, as Chief James "Patches" Watson said in his book "Point Man", even at a close range in the jungle, he dumped a whole mag tube from his Ithaca (IIRC, holding back the trigger and slamming the pump since the Ithaca did not have a disconnector) into an attacking VC at very close range, and it took all the rounds to put him down. He stated that the VC's AK and the mags in the chest rig were all dented up from the buckshot (and are now in the SEAL museum). Chief Wilson in the book was still a fan of the Duckbill shotgun after that, but I would seriously have doubts about the effectiveness of my weapon if that happened to me.

Been a while since I read that book, but I still remember that.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,889 Senior Member
    Sounds like Chief Watson should have, maybe, gone for a head shot if he had the presence of mind to do so. I understand the idea of the fog of war and heat of combat.

BTW, accounts of AK mags in the chest rig stopping ammo have been documented with 5.56 and possibly 7.62 ammo too during the current and former actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Actually, the duck bill is a very old concept in the firearms world, it dated back to when handguns were mostly single shot, and the duck bill was a multi-barrel pistol to repel boarders on naval vessels etc.... since it fired in various directions at once....

duckbillpistol_zpsa3f4bd1c.jpg
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Yulee BoyYulee Boy Member Posts: 37 Member
    Itd come in handy for squirrels or rabbits on the run
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Fat people (wide) gonna file suit for unfair shot direction. You'll see. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.