Need help with power steering

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
99 Toyota Tacoma.

Took off the reservoir because the pump started whining. Common problem for Taco's, the reservoir had an extremely fine screen in it and once it's clogged with buildup, it starves the motor.

Drained it, flushed it, no problems. Now here is the issue: I cycled the wheels back and forth dozens of times, lock to lock, trying to purge the system. Once I started the engine, the wheels are HARD to turn, just as if there was no power steering. The fluid still wants to bubble up and out the reservoir even with the cap on.... And the pump whines constantly now.

What did I do wrong? Besides not letting a pro service it..

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    Did you take lines loose? If so, did you have some sort of clamp on the hoses to keep them from leaking/dripping?

Also, if you had the lines loose, did they possibly make it back onto the wrong fittings? I don't know if this is even possible as I have looked at the pump to know what sort of fittings are on it. Just spitballing here.

Some sort of restriction is my guess.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,560 Senior Member
    Did you empty the lines? Sounds like you still have a air lock. If both lines have air, it's hard to get the air out of the system through the pump. It will need to be vacuum bled.....

http://www.rockauto.com/info/Atsco/220279%20Vacuum%20Bleeding%20Instructions.pdf

You can borrow/rent a vacuum pump from Autozone, Advance Auto, or similar
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I looked for a Youtube video and found this. You do not want to use engine vacuum. Shouldn't start the motor with any air in the system...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Think it's going to be a new pump. It whines constantly now and I see NO flow, even when turning the wheel and the engine running.
    Until return line has fluid it won't pump.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    my guess would be defective pump.
    Cardone has a return rate that's nearly 80%
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    I tried the vacuum thing. Didn't work. Couldn't pull a vacuum on the reservoir.
    Joe, the reservoir is full. Wouldn't the pump drain it if the return line was empty?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Try loosening the pressure line at the steering shaft area of the rack and pinion and turn the wheels lock to lock with the engine off. Once the air gets purged out of that line the fluid will start to flow through the system and work the rest of the air out.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Just noticed the lower unit is wet with fluid. Crap. Could be letting air in at THAT point?

Just seems odd because all I DID was remove the reservoir for cleaning which introduced air. Maybe that dislodged something that was previously stopping a leak?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Just noticed the lower unit is wet with fluid. Crap. Could be letting air in at THAT point?

I assume you're talking about the rack & pinion unit, not the pump? Yes, that could definitely be a source of air getting into the system. Don't bother trying a patch job on that one- - - -just swap the whole thing. Rebuilt rack assemblies aren't that expensive anymore.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Buffco wrote: »
    Joe, the reservoir is full. Wouldn't the pump drain it if the return line was empty?

The air has to be pushed out. The return line feeds the impeller. The high pressure line is after the pump impeller pressurizes the fluid. The impeller will only work with fluid, not air.

Got a shop vac? Try what the guy in video did.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Are your arms weak?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11