I finally pulled the trigger on a fish tank

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,458 Senior Member
I picked up a 10 gallon tank yesterday. Wanted to go bigger, but couldn't beat the 20 dollar price tag. Came with a pump with several new filters, a heater and aerator. The aerator needs a new hose but other than that it is golden. Took the kid shopping today and got some new rocks and a castle and glow in the dark rock. The kid picked it all out. Got the tank full of water and the pump running.

Now for the hard part. Need some guidance on which fish to buy, and tips on keeping them alive. Lookin to get some forgiving fish, this is a fresh water tank.

The kid is extremely excited. She is already picking out names for the fish she doesn't even have yet!

apyheqe7.jpg
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    Buy a deep fryer and raise "Cat Fish".
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    Oscars.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Oscars.

Stepsons 5yo Oscar just died last week.... 3#er
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Oscars.

Oscars are a hoot, especially when you "free" a fist full of guppies into the tank. They go berserk.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    "I finally pulled the trigger on a fish tank"

Where's the bullet hole? Won't that make it leak?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    My kid has managed to keep a pair of Mickey Mouse Platys, a Pleco (sucker fish to clean the tank), and a pair of Silver Dollar fish (Not sure the exact name). He has used a mixture of neglect, bouts of overfeeding, and a healthy dose of "daddy will do it" to keep the fish going.

It has seemed to work. Those fish are pretty hardy.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    I think Goldfish are Carp. They are tough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    DurangoKid wrote: »
    Buy a deep fryer and raise "Cat Fish".

This!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Just buy cheap 'community' fish. You can keep about a dozen small ones in a 10 gallon. Guppies, tiger barbs (need more than two they like to 'pack'), pair of silver dollars, mollies. Cory cats are fun as they zoom thru the tank and keep the gravel clean....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I like the various catfish, plecos and snails, if you have the right population, you only need to add food and change the filter elements, I used to like to run two tanks of the same size, so I could condition the water and temperature, then transfer everyone once the water got too dirty.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,900 Senior Member
    Last tank we had, had a bluegill in it.

I was a slave to the fish feeding it and it got enormous.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,104 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    "I finally pulled the trigger on a fish tank"

Where's the bullet hole? Won't that make it leak?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    That was exactly what I was thinkin'. :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,104 Senior Member
    Silver dollars are cool. Buy 3. One of them will turn out to be aggressive to other fish. Flush that one, and keep the rest. The various catfish and algae eaters are good. Stay away from Bala Sharks - they're great fish, and hardy; but they will eventually bash themselves to death on the top glass (or leap out). Ask me how I know this...

Angel fish are pretty hardy too - but just about everything loves to eat the trailing streamers on their fins.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Buy fish that are easily found at the pet store. That way replacements are more easily snuck into the tank.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Buy fish that are easily found at the pet store. That way replacements are more easily snuck into the tank.

This makes a lot of sense. We had a gold fish when I was in high school, he was the loan survivor of a jug fishing expedition. That fish was three years old when Dad committed negligent homicide. Washed Harvey's tank with a toilet bowl brush while Harvey was in the bucket Dad used to soak his work clothes. Harvey went belly up in a matter of hours.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    put about 20 suckers and a Muskie, sit back and watch the fun.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    who's job is to clean that sucker....
    I picked up a 10 gallon tank yesterday. Wanted to go bigger, but couldn't beat the 20 dollar price tag. Came with a pump with several new filters, a heater and aerator. The aerator needs a new hose but other than that it is golden. Took the kid shopping today and got some new rocks and a castle and glow in the dark rock. The kid picked it all out. Got the tank full of water and the pump running.

To bad you aren't closer. I have a 29gal with everything on a wrought iron stand in my garage. Can't give it away
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    Lookin to get some forgiving fish,

That's easy, make sure none of them are females!:tooth:

I like catfish, they're delicious!
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    The good thing is gold fish will only grow to be as big as the bowl you keep them in....

For Bream's benefit...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    While I am not a fish pet person, I agree Chris. The bigger gold fish are pretty.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    cpj wrote: »
    Once goldfish get bigger, they really are a pretty fish. Long flowing tails.

Don't think it will fit in a 10 gallon tank!!

h95CF46BE