Revisionist History Rant.....

2»

Replies

• 1911fan1911fan Member Posts: 193 Member
    Ever wonder what we used all those buffalo hides for? It's not like buffalo coats were the height of fashion.

Answer: Belts. NOT that slender strip of leather around your waist but belts to run machinery. In a water wheel powered machine shop, literally hundreds of heavy duty belts were needed to move the power from the wheel to the various machines and then make them run.

Same-same for steam.

Then, of course, there were the factories. No matter what their motive force, they needed belts to make them work and Charles Goodyear hadn't come up with Vulcanizing yet so buffalo leather filled the bill.

Without buffalo leather, the Industrial Revolution probably would have happened differently.

ed
    Fat, white, sixty, unemployed and just DIGGIN' on this "Change" thing!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    At least they didn't have Jello and a video camera.

Now that's just sick.......:silly::nono::jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Now that's just sick.......:silly::nono::jester:

And yet it happened.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The biggest problem with this country is that people learn more about history and behavior out of TV, the internet and movies instead of their parents and books.

On the other side history revisionism cuts both ways. In the earlier part of this century we had rose colored glasses about the history of this country. We learned that Abraham Lincoln launched this big civil war to free the slaves and of course in writing we as country, and our heroes, could do no wrong. I think this is the pendulum swinging the other way and somewhere in the middle is the truth. We did abuse the crap out of the natives and I still feel a pinch of anger when we call European colonialists "discoverers" as opposed to the truthful name of "invaders". But as we have proven time and time again, he who wins the war gets to write the book! if you ever hear the history of our war of Independence on the other side of the pond I'm sure the story is a little different...

Reminds me of time when young SPC Short was sitting in a history class (1865-Pres), we were near the end of the course and the Proffessor was going on about Vietnam and the catatrophic failure of the US to recognize the Tet offiensive in 68. He was coming on pretty thick with some anti-war stuff. Well in the class we had an old CW4. I dunno why he was in the class. He never said much, just showed up, sat in the back, and did what was needed. But after the second soap box speech on Tet, the CW4 raised his hand and said "sir, that ain't exactly the way things were..." The proffessor of course then demanded to know why the CW4 thought he knew more about the subject than a qualified proffessor...the CW4 just replied "Sir, I was there when it happened..."

One thing I learned from doing things down range...There are always multiple stories when doing BDA.

1) there is the agressor's Story
    2) there is the defender's story
    3) there is the observar story (media)
    4) there is what actually happened

I think writing about history is almost like using numbers and statistics. Depending on your goal, you can use bits of information to paint any point you are trying to make. I could make a damn fine argument that Genghis Khan was one of the greatest leaders of all time. Though, the story the persians tell will be very different.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,071 Senior Member
    1911fan wrote: »
    Ever wonder what we used all those buffalo hides for? It's not like buffalo coats were the height of fashion.

Answer: Belts. NOT that slender strip of leather around your waist but belts to run machinery. In a water wheel powered machine shop, literally hundreds of heavy duty belts were needed to move the power from the wheel to the various machines and then make them run.

Same-same for steam.

Then, of course, there were the factories. No matter what their motive force, they needed belts to make them work and Charles Goodyear hadn't come up with Vulcanizing yet so buffalo leather filled the bill.

Without buffalo leather, the Industrial Revolution probably would have happened differently.

ed

The British military was also buying bison hides for saddlery and military accoutrements...they made one of the first orders for hides, 10,000 in 1870.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"