NO Heat

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,280 Senior Member
and it was 18 degrees last nite. Thank God for the fireplace. I came home last nite and it was 58 in the house. Thermostat is set to 65. I cycle it on and off and go outside to listen and I hear gas and the exhaust fan, go in and wait for the fan to come on and no joy. Turn the fan to on instead of auto and it comes on for a minute or so but no hot air from the vents. Back outside I smell gas. Oh Crap! I look and smell and see nothing visually wrong, the gas smell is gone so I try again, same thing. I figure the igniter must not be working. Getting dark now. I crank up the gas fireplace and figure I'll call in the someone am. Guy comes out, says yea must be the igniter, pulls half the unit apart replaces the ignition contacts and says we are in business. Puts it back together and still no fire. He checks all the voltages and figures out it's the coil on the controller card. $550.00 for a new card. I said no thanks, I can either find a new coil and swap it myself or at least find a cheaper price for the card. I found a card for $190.00, will be here Saturday. Actually think there are cheaper ones but there was some confusion as to the part# which has been changed numerous times in the last 13 yrs since it was built. A place called TecnicalHotandCold.com. They really seemed to know their stuff.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Hope you get it fixed soon.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    That's why I like pilot lights - no electronics that go bad, and have to replace at an atrocious cost because you can't get a schematic to fix it yourself!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,854 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    and it was 18 degrees last nite. Thank God for the fireplace. I came home last nite and it was 58 in the house. Thermostat is set to 65. I cycle it on and off and go outside to listen and I hear gas and the exhaust fan, go in and wait for the fan to come on and no joy. Turn the fan to on instead of auto and it comes on for a minute or so but no hot air from the vents. Back outside I smell gas. Oh Crap! I look and smell and see nothing visually wrong, the gas smell is gone so I try again, same thing. I figure the igniter must not be working. Getting dark now. I crank up the gas fireplace and figure I'll call in the someone am. Guy comes out, says yea must be the igniter, pulls half the unit apart replaces the ignition contacts and says we are in business. Puts it back together and still no fire. He checks all the voltages and figures out it's the coil on the controller card. $550.00 for a new card. I said no thanks, I can either find a new coil and swap it myself or at least find a cheaper price for the card. I found a card for $190.00, will be here Saturday. Actually think there are cheaper ones but there was some confusion as to the part# which has been changed numerous times in the last 13 yrs since it was built. A place called TecnicalHotandCold.com. They really seemed to know their stuff.

It hasn't gotten below 20 here in a few years, but I can remember a few times when the bottom fell out and records fell. In 1962 in February , it got down to 15 and stayed below freezing for about 4 days. The bay froze and a lot of fish were killed. Then on Christmas day, 1983 it got down to 12 degrees. That killed millions of fish and made plumbers rich. Pipes broke all over town. The reason it killed so many fish is it was below 25 for almost a week.

In 1989 on Christmas day it got down to 8 degrees blowing many records away. The bay froze over but it only lasted about two days so we didn't have the massive fish kill we had experienced in 1962 and 1983. But it was still very cold for this place. We aren't rigged for that kind of weather. And if my heat went out on such a night I would pack it up and head for a motel. You could die in that.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    I buy brand new furnaces for less than the $550 he wanted for a card. Screw that!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    Well it's a heat pump so AC and heat. It's also a 3 ton unit, $5100.00 to replace.

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I once followed a large heating and air company. The home owners wanted a second opinion. The big boys said the current system was shot and needed to be replaced. $7500, oh and we have one on the truck. So I went in and did a trouble shooting diagnosis and find the circuit board is bad. In NC it is getting very hard to buy parts without a Technicians license. It took some convincing, but I got the supplier to sell me the part. $35 in parts and my labor and the system was up and running. And I can't buy parts because all I have is my coolant certification. After that I stopped doing heating and Air work. It wasn't worth the trouble.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    Well, I could have troubleshot the board replaced the parts if I could find them. It's probably either the coil, transformer or maybe a relay. I ran into the same issue trying to buy locally, guy told me the won't sell electronic parts to someone w/o a license. Fine butthole, the internet is cheaper anyhow. I wonder why brick and morter businesses are closing left and right.

BAMAAK wrote: »
    Well it's a heat pump so AC and heat. It's also a 3 ton unit, $5100.00 to replace.
    $1100 new.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    $1100 new.

Bring one to the S/E shoot. Heck, bring a couple, we can make some money off them.

I am sorry... another $300 for a new coil and another $150 or so for a line set. The unit comes pre-charged so if you grabbed a vacuum pump and some hoses from Harbor Freight for $100, and do a bit of sheet metal work you can get it done yourself in an afternoon for well under $2k.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,922 Senior Member
    Sounds like a dual fuel if it's a heat pump and gas.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,557 Senior Member
    I need a bigger A/C for my house. When it goes above 90 degrees, it runs constantly. Do you have to have a bigger evaporator coil along with the bigger compressor??
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Guy at work system went out and he had to get a new HVAC system. He used his Emergency Heat which worked , but got a $450 electric bill. No fire place.

Hope it works out fer ya.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    I think you might be confused about what a heatpump is. If you have to go outside to see if the heater is burning and have a draft inducer, I suspect that you have a package unit.
    And to the other Joe from Ohio, if you want to get a bigger system you'll have to go bigger on everything, including ductwork. If a house is ducted properly, the duckwork is designed for the CFM that the system is producing. You may be able to keep your air handler and just increase the coil size depending on the model of equipment that you have. You might be better off increasing the insulation of your home with better windows or more attic insulation. There's a lot of variables to consider.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Finally got the new card at 6:30 last night. Has been in town since 6:00 am Saturday and took 60.5 hours to go 2 miles from the UPS distribution center to my house. Any how, put it in and works fine. So $190 for the card and $14 for a new CB plus $90 for the service call instead of $640 for the card and service call. I saved like 350 bucks doing it myself. Hmmm, I should go buy a gun.

Be glad it wasn't those white trucks, they go to the wrong house.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    But, glad you fixed it
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Glad you got the heat fixed. Now about this new gun your going to buy, what you gonna git? :jester:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.