Home Main Category General Firearms

AR-15. What is the real attraction?

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I hope so, I need to join those people.......

One time I went to a public shooting range with an UZI on a sling, it had a dummy barrel no bolt, and a dummy magazine, and they called on Me, a NYS Trooper showed up, he was very friendly to Me, I gave him the UZI and he really liked it, admired it, and complimented Me on it and handed it back, he said to Me, try not to antagonize the Rubes...... The watching Rubes were pissed off at how nice he was to Me.

I asked the Trooper if he needed Me to do anything special, he said I was good to go, unloaded and safe etc..... handed Me a card and said if anyone else gave Me any grief to call him.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    N320AW,

I'm way too late to participate in the 'beat-down,' and for that I apologize - it would have been great fun. I feel obliged to thank you for your efforts to revive the 'old forum' spirit, whether it was intentional or just another bumbling effort to get attention. Either way, it was very enjoyable - I haven't seen Buford type so much in a very long time - no doubt his fingers are bruised and battered from the effort. :beer:

As for the actual topic, it is pleasantly nostalgic for me - partly because it reminds me of the good old days when DJ presided over all the troll roasting and had to be begged not to ban the perpetrator before everyone got a chance to get their licks in, but also because it makes me remember the good old days when I was a kid, and my dad was reading all the controversial articles that were being written about the AR-15 - when the military was just thinking about adopting it as their new battle rifle. He was an 'armchair' student of ballistics and cut his teeth on the Garand back when it was considered the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I grew up knowing more about the AR-15 than the average Elmer Fudd types of the day, and though fascinated by it, never even considered being able to own one. Like the guy you portray in your posts, I assumed that they weren't practical for civilian use, and I never really thought of owning one until I actually I actually got to tinker with and shoot one at the range. Of course, when I discovered how easy it was to shoot better groups than my 'real' hunting rifles, I wanted one, and fortunately had the means to actually buy one. After developing hunting loads that shot under 0.5 MOA, I immediately started saving for an AR-10, and when I stumbled onto one in 7mm-08, immediately put it on layaway and brought it home a few days later.

So, my answer to why anyone would want one is simple: Any genuine gun nut wants any interesting rifle that is fun to shoot, whether because of rapid-fire capability or accuracy. The latter is what appeals to me most, but also the fact that I can shoot it at a faster rate than a bolt gun, whether shooting at targets or game. True, it is the rifle of choice for a lot of mall ninjas, and it does annoy me a little bit that they rattle off 30 rounds without hitting much of anything. But, I solved that by just going to the range at daylight, while all of those 'types' are still sleeping off their sugar highs. Besides, that's when all of the other old farts with AR-15s are there, and I usually learn a few things while happily punching my own little holes in targets out to 300 yards or so.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Nomadac wrote: »

I guess the Performance Car crowd are more tolerant and accept all do not like or prefer the same type of cars, but are still part of the total car crowd.

But if you called those guys a bunch of Richard Petty wannabees...I bet they would get somewhat defensive.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    So, what's a "real hunting rifle?"
    N320AW wrote: »
    A Weatherby Mark V in 7mm WM with a 26 inch barrel and a gorgeous wood stock. . .

A Weatherby Mk V huh? Now that we know what kind of "game" you hunt, I have to ask: How does your Mazda Miata do off-road?:jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    But if you called those guys a bunch of Richard Petty wannabees...I bet they would get somewhat defensive.

You are referring to the NASCAR crowd which is more of the Motorsports Racing group and not the Collector Car Crowd, which does not fall into a comparable area. There is the Road Racing, NHRA, Sports Car racing, etc. Just like you have different shooting disciplines that focus on their areas.

I would be surprised if someone went on a Bullseye site and asked a question why, if they would get the same type of response as seen on this forum.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    The performance car analogy is an apples & oranges thing. If law makers were actively trying to ban engines with more than 6 cylinders and the exotic sports car collectors had been known to turn on the NHRA and monster-truckers, perhaps.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Actually I am a member on the Mopar forum with My 1967 Plymouth Fury, and I meant that the gun people react like kicked dogs because of the attacks by the gun grabbers.

I call you and raise you. I have probably been involved in the car crowd for the past 50 years. attending cars shows for that period of time. Lived in So. Calif. for 14 years and went to more car shows along with Cruise nights almost every weekend, met more people in that hobby then I can remember. Not to mention all of the forums I visited. Don't recall comments like this post has created. I guess I come from a period of more respect in communication. I.E. if you can't say something nice, why bother? This seems typical in today's society. Rain on my parade and I will retaliate.

I understand why so many people buy and own AR-15's and all of the variations. If I were younger and had the desire I would also probably own one, but with my interest I am not interested in one. But I will not condemn someone that has a different perspective or desire to have one. But because you do not have an interest in the type of firearms I choose to own will not cause me to disparage you for your decision.

Experience has shown me that there are many factors that contribute to how we react to differences of opinion, which are far to numerous to cover on this forum. It seems there is far too little discourse and understanding in today's society.

"Don't confuse me with the facts my mind is made up."
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I was not referring to the NASCAR crowd at all, I was saying is if you eluded to the car crowd (any car crowd) as the OP did the tactical gun crowd it would be met with some distain.

I am not defending anybody nor am I jumping on any bandwagon, I don't own an AR and never plan to. And I only wear camo while hunting.

However I'll bet if someone talked down about Bullseye shooters the way the OP did the Tactical guys they wouldn't like it much either.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    A Weatherby Mark V in 7mm WM with a 26 inch barrel and a gorgeous wood stock, Leupold 3x9 vari-XII. Happy now?

Overpowered junk with a glass crutch on top. Persons shooting something like this are trying to replace talent with horsepower.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Seriously, I wont run down anyone choices, unless in jest.

For example, I dont even have a urge to touch a in line muzzle loader. No desire at all. They have the same affect on me as a sweaty fat chick who is overly fond of garlic. No one has ever come up with a viable enough reason to change my mind. They are at best as exciting to me as a pack of Harbor freight screwdrivers. You know what? You want to shoot one, great. IMHO you are missing out on the intent of the season and are just going for the kill aspect of the hunt, but as long as you are within your states given weapons restrictions for hunting, go for it. Some who use them in my state want to mess up the flintlock season because they need the easy button. That I do have a problem with.

Fuddite posts like the OP made are a example of how we are going to lose. When some folks post that we eat our own, sometimes we should. He is enamored with "hunting guns". Fine, only problem with letting him get away with saying that other types of shooting isnt worth while is that facts dont bear him out. Hunting as a national pastime is falling off. Shooting, on the other hand is picking up new members daily. I hate to break it to the OP, but if he had to rely on hunters to pay his range office fee, he would be employed for about 3 months a year. The "real" hunters look down on the varmint hunters, because thats "just shooting, not hunting" those posts have been on this board.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    Seriously, I wont run down anyone choices, unless in jest.

For example, I dont even have a urge to touch a in line muzzle loader. No desire at all. They have the same affect on me as a sweaty fat chick who is overly fond of garlic. No one has ever come up with a viable enough reason to change my mind. They are at best as exciting to me as a pack of Harbor freight screwdrivers. You know what? You want to shoot one, great. IMHO you are missing out on the intent of the season and are just going for the kill aspect of the hunt, but as long as you are within your states given weapons restrictions for hunting, go for it. Some who use them in my state want to mess up the flintlock season because they need the easy button. That I do have a problem with.

I feel the same about crossbows and archery season.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    AR= ArmaLite Rifle. Jeez, this has been common knowledge for, like, nearly as long as I've been alive.

As to the rifle, some people like the pedestrian offerings, and some like something different. Like some people like the Yugo, and others like Ferrari and Lamborghini. I'm kinda partial to the Corvette of '67 vintage, myself.

AR's are versatile; with the right uppers available, one can hunt, protect the homestead, or make a can jump at the range. Other uppers can be bought with heavy barrels for precision shooting. Just by swapping the upper receiver group. A bolt action rifle lacks that versatility.
    And for HD a lever or pump action rifle is FAR superior to the bolt action for rate of fire and rounds on target, but both fall short when compared to the AR in that respect.
    For those that don't like them, good for you. Leaves more for ME and other like minded souls that see their advantages.

As to proving I bump fired one; well good luck with that exercise. Maybe I just have a well educated 'booger hook'. :roll2:

As to likes and dislikes in general. If we both like something then we have common ground to talk about. I care nothing for others dislikes, especially ill informed ones. And I don't care for hearing about them, especially when their dislikes tread on the things I like. I like fine wood and blued steel, but be damned if I'll disparage the man who likes synthetic and stainless steel (I actually like synthetic and stainless steel, too).

So if you don't like the AR and are not interested in a true discussion to learn, then more power to you. It's all mind over matter, as in, since I don't mind, then it don't matter. Trolling is easy; learning is hard.

Aw Heck! And all this time I thought it meant "Almost a Rifle!" :rotflmao::yesno::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Actually, my feelings about this are as follows: For years I thought the AR platform was a bit gawdy. I thought it looked too futuristic and I couldn't warm up to it. Now thinking back I think I felt nearly the same thing about the M-14/M1-A. I compared everything to the M-1 Garand and Springfield. I didn't like change was my problem. Even though all this was actually made either before my time or while I was too young to be interested. But through the years I have matured and now I accept the M-14 AND the AR. Both of these have one strike against them when compared to the Springfield or Garand, they both shoot a more wimpy cartridge. The Old 30-06 round just had me mesmorized. I couldn't accept that the U.S. would send people into combat with anything less than the venerable 30-06. Getting past that was part of my maturation. Bigger is not always better. The 7.62 AND the 5.56 have their place. Once I really realized that you don't need a near elephant gun or 180 grain bullets to kill people or even hunt deer, and lugging around heavier ammo is not conducive to good military tactics, I started to appreciate the two lesser rounds. And when I finally accepted that the 7.62 in combat form was the equal of the 30-06, and that the 5.56 could be made just as effective by the tactics used, I finally began to tear down that stupid wall that was preventing me from appreciating both of them. Anyway, for what they are used, all three of these cartridges have a place in my heart. I still favor the 06 for hunting, but would never say I won't hunt with the others either
    Hell I hunt with a .250 Savage sometimes and by some accounts on here it's one of the all time Wimpiest cartridges made. But I get what I need from it and love it. So I can love all of them at different times and for different uses. And one thing I want is a couple of nice ARs, an AR 10 in either .308-7.62x51 or maybe 7-08, and an AR-15 in of course 5.56x45. I have come of age.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Aw Heck! And all this time I thought it meant "Almost a Rifle!" :rotflmao::yesno::rotflmao:

Admirable Rifle
    Advantageous Rifle
    Accurate Rifle
    Adaptable Rifle
    Agile Rifle
    Assertive Rifle
    Audacious Rifle

animal0017.gifanimal0019.gifanim_19.gif
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Admirable Rifle
    Advantageous Rifle
    Accurate Rifle
    Adaptable Rifle
    Agile Rifle
    Assertive Rifle
    Audacious Rifle

animal0017.gifanimal0019.gifanim_19.gif

Anemic Rifle.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    AR:

ASSAULT RIFLE :head::guns::jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Accurate Rifle?
    Austere Rifle?
    Austrian Rifle?
    Australian Rifle?
    Ample Rifle?
    Autistic Rifle?

Ah but I've got it! Ambidextrous Rifle
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Anemic Rifle.......

With all the calibers the AR 15 is now available in, to include .50 BMG single shots, many many other guns in those calibers are now also anemic.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    jbohio wrote: »
    I can only imagine how fun it is to shoot at his range. Him working so hard to further the sport, protecting 2A rights,and all.

I can only imagine how little fun it is to shoot at his range, Him working his gums so hard to further the sport, frothing at the mouth, spouting all manner of drivel to protect His 2A rights,and all.

FIFFY :jester:
    Funny, I never claimed to be a bigger car guy than anyone else, or claimed to have bigger man parts either, I have gone to all of two car shows, My only claim to fame was spending much of My tender years smelling car exhaust and driving stock car as soon as I was able, those old codgers talked a blue streak and could make grizzled truckers and bikers blush......

However, you do not strike Me as a tea & crumpets Eaton boy either......
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    With all the calibers the AR 15 is now available in, to include .50 BMG single shots, many many other guns in those calibers are now also anemic.

There's also a 50 BMG mag fed AR upper for when one shot just doesn't cut it. :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I will say it:

The AR platform is the best all around general purpose rifle bar none, like the Ruger 10-22 it is the best bang for the buck and user fix-able etc......

Even a slightly adept caveman can accessorize and customize an AR or 10-22
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    And it makes me look cool.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    when I wear camo.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I like ARs.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I like ARs.

...and pie.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    But DeNiro said "shut your pie hole" it makes pie a moot point.

It is rather difficult to enjoy your pie once you have shut your cake hole. :roll2:
    But DeNiro said "shut your pie hole" it makes pie a moot point.

It is rather difficult to enjoy your pie once you have shut your cake hole. :roll2:

"EEEEEWWWWWW~~~ Grosss! :tooth:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    I would also add that I find them easier to accumulate since you can buy them a piece at a time, less money spent at one time and significant savings with diligent shopping.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    It is also easier to excuse (spouse) buying gun parts on the pretext of fixing what you have, than it is to buy a complete gun....