Home Main Category General Firearms

XD VS. Glock Owners Observations

2»

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Meaning it looks like they have changed having to depress the grips safety to cycle the slide from older models to new models. At least from the XD to the XDS. While I really never even noticed it until Eli posted about it, I agree that is not a very good design and wondered if they have "fixed" it on all newer models, not just the XDS??
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Ahhhhh, thank you ! now I get it.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I've owned both, and I wish I still had them. More so the Glock than the XD; I agree that the trigger is better on the Glock. For me, the XD was more accurate (precise) in both .40 and .45, but I attribute that more to the fact that they were both 5" tactical models. But the overall feel in my hand was better with the Glock, so of the two, that's the one I would buy again.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    For the record I hope no one dies in a fire......
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    twa wrote: »
    Yes I did. Like I said it doesn't FEEL like a pile of plastic like the Glock does, and weight is definetley a determining factor in that observation. (You know, the metal is heavier than plastic thing)

I will post again how I really feel about MY Glocks. (Not yours)

222730.jpg

It would be easier to believe you don't like Glocks if you didn't own 3 of them :tooth:
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 386 Member
    pardog wrote: »
    It would be easier to believe you don't like Glocks if you didn't own 3 of them :tooth:

I think it's more that he DOESN'T like cheese and high fiber.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    I think he means opinions on Glocks are like _______ and you need to stock up on lots of TP to keep them clean......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    The fellows in Croatia didn't want to mimic the Glock. They wanted to make a pistol that offered some improvements. They did, while at the same time, produced a pistol that had some deficiencies to the Glock. #1, the grip of the Glock feels just fine to those who had little semi-auto pistol experience before trying one, or to those pesky Europeans who rather liked the grip angle of the Luger. Nothing wrong with the grip angle of the Luger since one of my faborite .22lr pistols has it, in the various Ruger semi-autos, before the advent of the .22/45 variants.

Where the Glock shines, is in its finish being nearly impervious to rust and holster wear. That's about where the advantages end.

The XD line has a grip safety. Big deal. If someone simply cannot wrap their psyche around a self defense pistol with a grip safety, it's a borderline neurosis.

The line of sight is higher on the XD. While technically true, I defy anyone to produce evidence that this results in anything germane to the discussion. Supposedly, it changes the felt recoil and controllability of the firearm, but I gotta tell you, too many really good shooters don't seem to have a problem with guns that have even a higher line of sight, making incredibly rapid multiple strikes on targets - oh, and all the while depressing a grip safety. I have yet to read a single account of a grip safety failure, either mechanically or through the inability of the shooter to engage it properly.

The Glock was a wonderful example of what could be done with polymer and metal and it has its rightful place on the pedestal. It might even be argued that everything that has come afterward, hasn't been an improvement, but rather has offered only variety. Thank God!

The Mono-Block design of the XD makes for a stronger pistol. Yes, it weighs a few ounces more. The neat thing about it, is the slide rides on a removable block, whereas the slide with a Glock, rides on inserts molded into the frame and they're not removable. Is this a problem, under normal circumstances, apparently not.

We can argue all day about the genius of Gaston vs the boys at HS Produkt, but in the end, we only have personal and anecdotal evidence to support our positions. One of my all-time favorite gun writers was Chuck Taylor. When the Glock arrived on the scene, he put away his 1911s and competed solely with the Glock. Then one day came the XD. Chuck decided to give it a try. In his first competition with it (which he won), he did something he'd never been able to do before. He fired a perfect score. He wasn't certain that he'd put away his Glocks in favor of the XD, but he was pretty darned impressed with the pistol. The line of sight didn't seem to matter with recoil control and he didn't have any trouble with the grip safety.

I attended an NRA sponsored Law Enforcement Instructor's course in Summit Point Virginia that I wrote up for an article in Handguns Magazine back around 2002 and I took an unfired XD-9 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo to it. The majority of the 40 or so future police instructors were carrying Glocks with a couple other brands thrown in. There were multiple failures involving Glocks that required the line be cleared to sort out the difficulty, including a sight that popped off in mid shoot. Most, were probably operator error. Thank God they didn't have a grip safety to contend with. Mine was the only XD as they were pretty new under the Springfield banner at the time. I fired over 800 rounds with it before its first cleaning. Not a hitch, not a bobble and it accounted for the best night firing groups on the line - oh, and it also accounted for the only "win" if the night in a shoot-don't-shoot FATS exercise, a 25 yard head shot on a perpetrator holding a gun to a woman's head. When the little black hole appeared just above the bad guy's right eye, the class erupted as one would expect cops to behave.

That gun was drawn strong hand, weak hand, good grip, poor grip and all manner of other situations. The pesky grip safety not once failed.

Is it better than a Glock? Nope. Do I like it better? Yup. Will I ever buy a Glock? Not as long as they make XDs.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    I never liked the grip angle on the Luger, or the hump on a Glock either, however, as someone that has had to make do with whatever was available or approved for use at the time, either as a LEO or as an Op in some hell hole country somewhere, you grit your teeth and lump it....

If finish is an advantage, I don't see it, I have worn / rubbed off the finish off many handguns from carry alone, and may look ugly, but the gun still fulfills its intended purpose...

I never had a problem with grip safeties, nor did I ever entertain the notion of defeating it on any of My 1911s, but if it comes without one, icing on the cake..... I will take the lower parts count of not having a grip safety, less stuff to break and maybe cause a worse trigger pull. BTW it is not a neurosis, simply a misconceived notion.

Now as far as the low bore, I prefer it anyway, I rather My sidearm have as low a profile as possible......

I think anyone in this gun making game that designs such successful and a well made gun like the XD deserves high praise, I do not think however, that Gaston was as much of a Genius as the folks making the XD.

However, at the end of the day, I make the decisions that so far have been responsible for saving My own life, and I must be convinced and content with those decisions, and if not, I am at least, going to know the reason why not.

I know I am alive today, due to those decisions and the various guns I have used, and those guns were for the most part far from perfect, the Glock is far from perfect and I am far from perfect and so is My thought process and My decision making process, so anything I choose is going to be far from perfect.

I still adore the S&W model 10 and think it is probably the "perfect" gun if there is a perfect gun design anywhere in existence.

Glock perfection ? maybe in the mind of Gaston Glock and as a marketing ploy, I know better, but it is still My choice, and right or wrong, I have to be satisfied or not, or know the reason why.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,385 Senior Member
    Chuck Taylor taught a week-long course down here in GA that I attended back in the 1980s. He was an excellent instructor, far better than I expected. A good guy.

I think Gaston Glock was a genius. He completely designed a pistol made of polymer and steel, made it affordable and fairly lightweight. He is an avatar.

As for the Glock v XD subject, I have neither one and have shot both. The XD had a better trigger. Both were accurate enough. As for buying one or the other if I had to, I'm afraid I'd buy a Glock. I'm not sure why, exactly.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    When the N.Y.C.P.D. decided on Glock, and the decision was not made by the brass or the bean counters, they conducted their own very extensive tests, I was around at the time, even Harbor Patrol got involved and tied a Glock to a buoy to see how it would stand up to sea water... they tested guns by all the manufacturers of the time, money no object, only Glock passed every test with flying colors.

Almost every LE agency in the U.S. uses Glock sidearms, it is the choice of the F.B.I. etc......

With those endorsements it is easy to see why Glock is such a contender.....

I am sure why, exactly.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    So let's sum it up in one word.........Glock's is........Perfection......Sig's is Reliable.......so what word does Springfield bring up?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    So let's sum it up in one word.........Glock's is........Perfection......Sig's is Reliable.......so what word does Springfield bring up?

.Glock's is........NOT Perfection but stupid reliable......Sig's is reliable too but too heavy, and top heavy, and like Uncle Bill, we love them both .......so what word does Springfield bring up? honest & reliable and a great choice.

FIFFY