Home Main Category General Firearms

AR Question

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,484 Senior Member
If you had $1000.00 to spend on an AR, 2.23/5.56, What attributes would you look for. To be used mainly for paper punching and maybe some speed steel matches (100 yds). Better to spend 600 on the gun and 400 on an optic or put it all in the gun and worry about the optic later? Any brands to stay away from in that price range? Open to all suggestions as if I do this, it will be my first AR. Last time I shot one was basic training in 1978.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    If you want to shoot in a competition, get a Competition rifle......

r3compv.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I'll third the RRA NM trigger. I have a RRA AR with the standard trigger; it sucked. Bought and installed the NM trigger. No comparison., it's a million times better. I haven't had a chance to take the new trigger to the range yet though.

You might want to consider purchasing an upper and lower separately. I was able to save ~$300 off MSRP on my RRA by shopping around and buying separately.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    I went for a carbine for my first one, pretty much a DPMS basic carbine, should leave you plenty for some decent, not great, optics.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    My Rock River Predator Pursuit came with the NM 2-stage trigger which is one sweet setup.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I bought this exact set up a few weeks ago, and it is an absolute tack driver. I paid just over $800 for mine, but have seen the same set up go for over $1200. Still 1 day left on this auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396159440
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Come spring thaw, chuckle, if business picks up, I would gladly buy a nice AR for defensive porpoises.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    If you had $1000.00 to spend on an AR, 2.23/5.56, What attributes would you look for. To be used mainly for paper punching and maybe some speed steel matches (100 yds). Better to spend 600 on the gun and 400 on an optic or put it all in the gun and worry about the optic later? Any brands to stay away from in that price range? Open to all suggestions as if I do this, it will be my first AR. Last time I shot one was basic training in 1978.

Honestly, I'd look at the trigger first, then an optic......everything else is Legoland. Stay away from Vulcan/Hesse.....if they're still around. Parts from YHM, LMT, and MI suffice.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Really Stupid question on aisle 5 here, I was building AR-15s when all you had was crappy triggers and iron sights, and I did really well, now We have much better everything, triggers, optics etc, Soooooo, for a defensive AR, RRA NM trigger, decent parts, chrome lined bore 16 inch heavy barrel flat top upper, something I can hang a laser on etc..... decent optics, ???

Defensive purposes,. handy and svelte, not a Judge Dred monstrosity.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I bought this exact set up a few weeks ago, and it is an absolute tack driver. I paid just over $800 for mine, but have seen the same set up go for over $1200. Still 1 day left on this auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396159440

So I've bid on three of these as well as a couple others from this guy, they all end up over 1K. I do like the looks of that bull barrel one, how much does it weigh?

Any opinions on the brands DPMS,Delton, Windham and S&W?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Question, every time I think barrel, I think heavy barrel, for defensive purposes, is the weight difference between a light barrel and a heavy barrel all that much ?

Flash hiders ? long, short ? best one ?
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    When I think Heavy Barrel.......it's somewhere close to the 1" range............I've got an A2 upper with an HB barrel. Then I have a 16" chunk o' steel......The Bushmaster HB would do well in CQB.........the Double Star Heavy......not so much. I put together an HD rig.......it's an M-forgery..........go light. For a flash hider I choose Phantom.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Thanks for the learning, all the M-16s We fired had light weight barrels, and We fired them in sustained full auto, sans any worry about accuracy or over heating.

I am thinking a 16 inch barrel / carbine in any case, for defensive work mostly, maybe range shooting too, but My peanut brain rebels and screams HB !!!! Heavy contour ? permanently pinned flash hider on a shorter barrel ? help !
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    So I've bid on three of these as well as a couple others from this guy, they all end up over 1K. I do like the looks of that bull barrel one, how much does it weigh?

Any opinions on the brands DPMS,Delton, Windham and S&W?

I haven't weighed it, but I am going to say 9 or 10 lbs., it is no lightweight. You may want to just shoot them an email, onlinegunsales.net is the website and see what they would sell you one for. Tell them a friend of yours paid $803.00 (which is what I paid) and see what they say.
    What is a great Defensive purpose caliber for an AR other than 5.56 ???
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    What is a great Defensive purpose caliber for an AR other than 5.56 ???

Even though most others are designed for Hunting and paper punching, I dont think any would be bad for Self Defense, except maybe .22lr.
    But the 6.8 SPC is the first that comes to my mind seeing that is what it was originally designed for.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    Drop a couple hundred extra on a Colt 6940 (monolithic rail upper and folding front and rear sights) lap the mating surfaces on the trigger, and don't look back. You'll probably save a bit by buying this one as it already has stuff most people tend to add.

I'm looking for boring reliability/durability and "accurate enough". Colt's had 50 years of practice and input from the military to this end, and about the only ones I repair with any regularity at all are the ten-year-old SWAT guns that have created a pile of brass to rival Everest.

For that system and your purpose, I prefer the standard and simple stock trigger. You have to do about 30-40 dry-fires with fine grit lapping compound to get the grit/crunch/creep out of them, but after that, you'll have a clean break at about seven pounds, solid hammer/sear surface engagement for safety when runnin' and gunnin', and a sufficiently manly hammer spring to set off the toughest GI primers. "Adjustable this", "target that", and "competition the other thing" I want no part of unless I'm building an NRA Highpower or bench gun (fussy, fiddly things).
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee