Home Main Category General Firearms

So which is a better AR upper option in .300 BO 1:7 vs 1:8 twist barrel

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Ok, now that I have my thoughts turning to an AR upper in .300 BO which would you choose 1:7 or 1:8 twist. I will probably be shooting 110 or 125 grain bullets 99% of the time but may try my hand at some 220 grain bullets too. I am thinking the 1:8 would be fine because I doubt I will shoot much in the whisper range.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....hmmmm
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    It's easier to have too little twist than too much.

Just sayin'.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    It's easier to have too little twist than too much.

Just sayin'.

Mike

Kind of what I was thinking, I really think the 1:8 is what I need but just want to be sure; this is a new caliber for me so no experience. Dogonit and I said I wasn't going to add anymore!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    A Blackout shooting subsonic has a reason to exist.

A supersonic Blackout is a castrated .30-30.

Spin 'em fast and optimize for a suppressor. The lighter bullets won't care, the heavy ones might, and the upper will be easier to re-sell.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I think the AK barrel standard twist rate is 1:9.5, so in the 125 gr range of .308's I would go 1:8 minimum and 1:7 if possible, especially if you intend to lob 220 grain round nose.

FWIW I have considered this a lot. It is better than a 5.56 at 50 yards to 200 yards energy wise and it is between the 5.56 and .308 at around 1600 fpe at top loads. Plenty good hawg medicine and deer too.

Since I already have several AK's and SKS's I cannot justify it in my collection.

The good news is you have everything you need to load for it, except the dies and brass.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Heck if justification was needed I would have quit buying guns years ago!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I think the AK barrel standard twist rate is 1:9.5, so in the 125 gr range of .308's I would go 1:8 minimum and 1:7 if possible, especially if you intend to lob 220 grain round nose.

FWIW I have considered this a lot. It is better than a 5.56 at 50 yards to 200 yards energy wise and it is between the 5.56 and .308 at around 1600 fpe at top loads. Plenty good hawg medicine and deer too.

Since I already have several AK's and SKS's I cannot justify it in my collection.

The good news is you have everything you need to load for it, except the dies and brass.

D

Very poor enabling Dan:bang:, you go stand in the corner and think about what you said:tooth:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Go with the 1:7 twist. The lighter bullets won't care, and the heavy bullets will thank you. Seriously, buy the barrel with the twist rate to stabilize the heaviest bullet you intend to send downrange.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    I wouldn't think there's that much difference, but I'd go with the 7 twist.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Ok, hows this deal sound? I can get a DPMS 16" upper in 1:7 twist, heavy contour barrel, charging handle and bolt carrier group, 200 pieces of brass, dies, the turret for my press at a price of $675.50 delivered to my door. I have been shopping around and this is the best price I can find with everything I need to get started.

This sound good or is there something else out there that sounds like a better deal?
    A DPMS upper you describe goes for almost $700, so I guess that deal ain't all that bad.
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    A DPMS upper you describe goes for almost $700, so I guess that deal ain't all that bad.

I didn't think so, the brass is almost $150 by itself which is high but at least it will get me going. I guess since I have some 125 grain bullets I can start there until I can find some 110 grain.
    Sounds like you have everything but the light bullets. I'd say get it. It sounds like a fun upper to have.
    Hope the reloading components start getting more plentiful. I need some stuff and can't find it anywhere.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Sounds like you have everything but the light bullets. I'd say get it. It sounds like a fun upper to have.
    Hope the reloading components start getting more plentiful. I need some stuff and can't find it anywhere.

Ok, its done, the new upper and components are on the way, should have it by the 10th, I hope I like it!

I know what you mean about components being hard to find. Varget is still tough at times to get, .50 cal bullets for my Desert Eagle are impossible to find and I have had .308 bullets for hunting on backorder since December. Don't even get me started on .22 lr!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Was that a one of a kind deal?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Was that a one of a kind deal?

D

No sir, off the shelf pricing from MidwayUSA.
    DPMS A3 upper: $462.99
    200 pieces of .300 BO brass: $147.96
    Lee Pacesetter 3 die set: $34.99
    Lee 4 hole classic turret: $13.29

This was still cheaper than anything I saw on gunbroker or anywhere else for a complete upper. The handguard will change if I like it and decide to keep it, I'll probably go with a quad rail. Still thinking of dedicating this to a night time only upper. The more I check into the ballistics I like what I see for a 200 yard max rifle.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Story of my life, that's the one I ordered and it will be delivered today, of course it wasn't on sale when I bought it!

Sorry. :bang:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    Sorry. :bang:

Ehh, no big deal, it won't make or break me either way but I could have bought almost 100 more cases for that discount!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    I just got the email today and instantly thought of you. Day late and $63 short.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Go with the 1:7 twist. The lighter bullets won't care, and the heavy bullets will thank you. Seriously, buy the barrel with the twist rate to stabilize the heaviest bullet you intend to send downrange.

I agree. Whatever twist rate you buy is what you're going to have. There's no changing it and whatever you think will be your heaviest bullet should govern this. If, on the other hand, you decide to shoot some ridiculously lighter bullet in it, and it would over stabilize the bullet, doing some strange things with your accuracy or causing the bullet to disintegrate or something, then you just go up a bullet weight until things get stabile again and don't look back. If the bullet you try isn't big enough it's easy to go up, but if it's too big to stabilize in your barrel then it might limit what you can hunt with it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I agree. Whatever twist rate you buy is what you're going to have. There's no changing it and whatever you think will be your heaviest bullet should govern this. If, on the other hand, you decide to shoot some ridiculously lighter bullet in it, and it would over stabilize the bullet, doing some strange things with your accuracy or causing the bullet to disintegrate or something, then you just go up a bullet weight until things get stabile again and don't look back. If the bullet you try isn't big enough it's easy to go up, but if it's too big to stabilize in your barrel then it might limit what you can hunt with it.

I agree and that is why I did go with the 1:7 twist barrel. Going to start with the 125's since I can't find any 110 grain bullets but will also do some testing with the 220's for sure since I do have several hundred on hand already.
    I agree and that is why I did go with the 1:7 twist barrel. Going to start with the 125's since I can't find any 110 grain bullets but will also do some testing with the 220's for sure since I do have several hundred on hand already.

Tim, Graf & Sons has Hornady 110 grain round nose in stock. Better strike while the iron is hot if these will work.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6251
    ― Douglas Adams
    Tim, Graf & Sons has Hornady 110 grain round nose in stock. Better strike while the iron is hot if these will work.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6251

I do have a bunch of the .30 carbine bullets but I am looking for something more like the Vmax.
    ― Douglas Adams

Awesome, thanks!

That is what I am looking for, just ordered 400.
    Awesome, thanks!

That is what I am looking for, just ordered 400.

Cool! Glad I could help enable this project! :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams