Home Main Category Hunting

The Great 2011 Goat Hunt...

wildgenewildgene Senior MemberPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
...antelope opened 9/20, got out Wed.

GoatSeason.jpg

...huh??? Are you sure antelope season's open???

...turned down the "easy one", the "Big One" snookered me by chasing out a smaller buck first, then sneaking out thru a low saddle, stalked to 130yds of another & decided he wasn't big enough, drove past a doz. more "medium" bucks...

...had a coyote laffing @ me from across the canyon, figgering he was safe. He was sadly mistaken. Stopped to do some glassing out on a point, & was surrounded by pdawgs. I only had 150 rounds for the .22mag, so it was a "close thing", but managed to shoot my way out, ended up in a staring contest w/ another "medium" buck...

...a couple miles before the end of the unit, had what looked like a decent buck, stalked to 200yds. while he stood there broadside...

exitwound.jpg

...wasn't quite as big as I thought, there's lots bigger in the area, but "stoopid is fatal"...

...stopped @ the Elkhorn Bar & Grill for a burger, home & hung-up...

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Looks good, congrats :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member
    Coyote, p-dogs and a pronghorn, sounds like a great day to me. Congrats, may not be a bruser but looks to have nice shaped horns.

Sako
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I don't like you very much right now. The envy is surpassing the like at the moment. Very nice day you had there.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ......wasn't quite as big as I thought,

Ground shrinkage sucks...however...nice goat, great hunt...I hate you...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    nice looking set of horns, love the prongs. Out here, our goats come up pretty short on good prongs, the high scoring goats from CO get up the 80's by mass mostly.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    Great hunt
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    I hate you. Hopefully, next weekend, you can hate me. But you probably won't since I'm planning on blasting a nanny-goat. The last decent buck I shot, you couldn't eat. We tried three times, and Machelle knows enough kitchen tricks that if it can be pulled off, she can do it. But this time, nothing worked. So.....I don't put in for buck tags anymore.

So, hate me if you will, but you probably won't.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I'll still hate you, Mike. You get to go goat hunting. :-(
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Love that first pic and the caption !!!

Glad to see you got out there and were successful. What rifle and cal did you use.?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Love that first pic and the caption !!!

Glad to see you got out there and were successful. What rifle and cal did you use.?

...stupid young goat was so preoccupied w/ getting chased & trying to figger out how to get around the fence he walked right up to me...

...rifle was a Browning A-Bolt Varmint Stalker in .25 WSSM w/ a 6X18 VX-II, round was 120gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing MV 3200fps...

...entry...

file.php?id=1030&t=1

...exit...

file.php?id=1029&t=1

...rifle was a Browning A-Bolt Varmint Stalker .

IMHO, the most perfect antelope platform in existence. I had one, only in .223 Rem. Turned out to be a bit lighter than I like in a dedicated pdog rig, but if I'd had it in a heavier chambering, I'd have kept it, and I'd not be lugging my 14 lb 700 around after goats these days.

Mike
    N454casull
    BTW....those postmortum pics look exactly like a hit from my 6mm Rem with 95 grain NBT's launched at 3250 fps. Caliber sized hole going in, almost perfectly circular half-dollar size going out. Doesn't seem to matter what the range, the performance has been typically what your pics show.

Mike
    N454casull
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    ...stupid young goat was so preoccupied w/ getting chased & trying to figger out how to get around the fence he walked right up to me...

...rifle was a Browning A-Bolt Varmint Stalker in .25 WSSM w/ a 6X18 VX-II, round was 120gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing MV 3200fps...

...entry...

file.php?id=1030&t=1

...exit...

file.php?id=1029&t=1

Got to love those Sierra Game king HPBT :that: I have been using them for years and telling folks about them. They are a real sleeper. Great hunt, that is cool my friend, cool indeed. :worthy:
    Guys on my other shooting board call those "Sierra Goat Kings" as they are EXTREMELY popular antelope bullets.

Linefinder,

Why not just shoot the small young bucks? They taste pretty dang good. Its the old horny bastards that have been running themselves to death for days that are a gamey. Of course at the same time, doe tags are a dime a dozen lol. Speaking of....any interest in shooting a 2nd doe later this year?
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Very nice!

Congratulations.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Speaking of....any interest in shooting a 2nd doe later this year?

I'd be very interested in shooting a 2nd doe later this year!

In fact, I'd even said something to Machelle the other day about checking into Wyoming's season next year. IIRC, non-resident doe tags were less than $100 each, and you can purchase two of them OTC.

Closer to home would be much gooder.

Mike
    N454casull
    ...Non-Resident Doe/ Fawn were like $40...

...whoops, that was a "Youth License", regular are $48...
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Coyote, p-dogs and a pronghorn, sounds like a great day to me. Congrats, may not be a bruser but looks to have nice shaped horns.

Sako

:up: AGREED! Sounds like a great day to me!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Linefinder wrote: »

In fact, I'd even said something to Machelle the other day about checking into Wyoming's season next year. IIRC, non-resident doe tags were less than $100 each, and you can purchase two of them OTC.

Mike

How about where you already hunt? LOL There is a late season doe only, B list license that are left over, over the counter. Last I checked there were still like 685 tags for 121. It runs 12 days in December
    Linefinder wrote: »

Mike

Oh, BTW, yes WY tags! You can actually get FOUR tags if you work it right, draw 2 buy 2. IIRC last time I looked OTC non-res doe tags were like 46$ each.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member

I'll trade ya a .243 for it! :wink:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Oh, BTW, yes WY tags! You can actually get FOUR tags if you work it right, draw 2 buy 2. IIRC last time I looked OTC non-res doe tags were like 46$ each.

It's been YEARS since I hunted goats in Wyoming. Sounds like I need to look into that again.
    I smell forum hunt #2 already starting up LOL a giant goat massacre
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member

...entry...

file.php?id=1030&t=1

...exit...

file.php?id=1029&t=1

Nice animal. Oh you used the .25 WSSM? I thought you used a .270! hehehehehehehe!!!! Yeah Right!

Seriously though, you can't ask for better bullet performance than that. Looks like he was DRT and very little meat distruction. That's surgical.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    It's been YEARS since I hunted goats in Wyoming. Sounds like I need to look into that again.

Yep! That has some DISTINCT possibilities...now, if we could just find a local that knows his way around and who would put up with us for a few days....If you recall, I've got a new goat gun that really needs to kill something...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I'll still hate you, Mike. You get to go goat hunting. :-(

Wait a sec here! I have a question for the experienced goat hunters, among which I'm not. Is it the gender, the age, or what the animal has been eating that makes for good-bad eating? I remember Elmer Keith one wrote an article I read on Antelope hunting and he said that those that were killed on the plaines where they ate mainly grass and maybe a acorn or other nut, were good to eat, but those killed out where the sage brush grows were sometimes not fit to eat. So what's y'alls take on the reason?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Wait a sec here! I have a question for the experienced goat hunters, among which I'm not. Is it the gender, the age, or what the animal has been eating that makes for good-bad eating? I remember Elmer Keith one wrote an article I read on Antelope hunting and he said that those that were killed on the plaines where they ate mainly grass and maybe a acorn or other nut, were good to eat, but those killed out where the sage brush grows were sometimes not fit to eat. So what's y'alls take on the reason?

...diet can make a difference, alfalfa fed goats will have a little more fat than cactus & sage brush goats, age & gender is more the fact that mature bucks have strong smelling musk glands, & tend to run nonstop from Sept to Dec, chasing other bucks, chasing does, being chased by other bucks, building up lactic acid in the muscle tissue. Controlling the breakdown of tissue by bacteria tenderizes & gives the meat flavor (aged beef) by cooling it out & letting it hang, or throwing over the hood of a car w/ the hide on for a couple days will make more of a difference in palatablility. "Gamey meat" is more an affect of handling than age or gender...

...nothing will "sour" meat faster than being thrown in black plastic bags in chunks, a practice all too common, especially w/ goats...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Every antelope I've ever eaten came from grasslands where no sagebrush was growing, so I don't have any experience eating goats that came out of sagebrush. I've tried eating deer that did, though, and they taste bad. I'm a firm believer that diet is a major factor in how any game animal tastes.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.