has the Glock 42 grown on you yet ? you might need Surgery !

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
Anyone been bitten by the Glock 42 yet ?

Most people I have heard comments from seem less than thrilled with the new Glock 42 chambered for .380 acp, and much like those people awaiting the rapture, they await the same type of gun in 9mm, both groups may have to wait a long long time for either the rapture or a 9mm version of that gun from Glock.
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I'll wait for the 9mm flavor.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am somewhat of a hypocrite in this matter, I remember favoring the Colt Mustang .380 acp, however, now that there are enough tiny 9mm pistols out there, it is hard to love a .380 acp when a 9mm is so much more lovable.

I recall seeing that Colt Mustang NIB at a LGS, for $250 and I could not buy it fast enough.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    Held the new Glock at the gunshow on sunday. If/when it is released in 9mm built on the same frame, I will purchase one. Might wait until they have been around a while for the price to drop though.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Either way I am not interested
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    I've shot one and I liked it.

Only a little bigger functionally than the LCP, but does not have that "trying to hold your daughter's toy teacup" feel to it. Your pinky won't fit on the bottom of the grip, but the recoil is so slight that this is not an issue. Very accurate for what it is.

I imagine that like the LCP and LC9, if Glock DOES do a similar 9mm, it's not going to be small enough to totally invalidate the G42.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I've shot one and I liked it.

Was it anything like kissing a girl? :tooth:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Probably more like kissing your ancient Aunt, still a female, but not a good experience......
  • WORLD TWORLD T Member Posts: 262 Member
    I saw one the other day. Not interested here...
    I would give it a twirl, I only balk at paying full price for a .380 acp nowadays, it is a personal hangup only, then again I am a weirdo in My ideas and persuasions and hangups about guns anyway......
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Was it anything like kissing a girl? :tooth:

Way better, actually. The Glock came with an instruction manual.
    WWJMBD?

Well ? what was your opinion on it ???? why are you holding out ?
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Well ? what was your opinion on it ???? why are you holding out ?

Dude. Read my first post. How much spoon-feeding you want?

I would buy it before I bought an LCP - fits the hand better, you can see the sights, and the slide locks after the last round. I would buy it before I bought a Smith Bodyguard - no stupid onboard laser.

The Glock trigger will give most folks a little more precision than the DAO systems of most of the other micro .380's. Only downside is you'll want some kind of pocket holster that covers the trigger for safety ( Glock has gone to what appears to be some variation of the slightly heavier New York trigger spring to help with this)- - which I consider a good idea regardless to keep the gun oriented consistently.
    WWJMBD?

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,534 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Dude. Read my first post. How much spoon-feeding you want?

I would buy it before I bought an LCP - fits the hand better, you can see the sights, and the slide locks after the last round. I would buy it before I bought a Smith Bodyguard - no stupid onboard laser.

The Glock trigger will give most folks a little more precision than the DAO systems of most of the other micro .380's. Only downside is you'll want some kind of pocket holster that covers the trigger for safety ( Glock has gone to what appears to be some variation of the slightly heavier New York trigger spring to help with this)- - which I consider a good idea regardless to keep the gun oriented consistently.

If I was to carry a Glock in any mode other than a traditional holster I would use one of these: http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-holster-system/

Will work for pocket carry to manbag carry.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    "Dude. Read my first post. How much spoon-feeding you want?"

Plenty !!! you are after all a true expert and I trust your evaluations !!!!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,871 Senior Member
    Not interested in the .380. If they come out with a 9mm i may be tempted.
    Well, there are enough competing tiny 9 mm pistol made now to just plain buy one outright, I do not see paying so much for a .380 acp unless I can get the usual applicable LE discount and I don't think the Glock 42 qualifies, they are just not going to order it most likely...... and I would rather something tiny in .40 S&W anyway, if I am going to pay such a high price even with the applicable LE discount, I am still going to buy a grown up caliber.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    . . .I trust your evaluations !!!!

It's a tank-top and running shorts gun, like all its close cousins. If you don't run, wear a lot of spandex, or have lots of tailored suits, carry something bigger.

OTOH, I'm not really a fan of cramming big rounds into light guns. While the XDs .45 is a wonderfully accurate nasal inhaler, I can't really say I enjoy shooting them. The only use I have for .40 is that the ammo's free. That leaves the micro 9's, micro .380's, and small wheel guns.

My choice for this sort of thing? Stainless J-frame .357. About the same weight as a PPK/S, absorbs recoil better than the beer can guns, and can be loaded anywhere from "yawn" to "HOLY CRAP!"
    WWJMBD?

This is why I need your assessment of equipment !!

Out of all the members here, your assessment is always spot on with current LE standards, I agree, I also am not a fan of such relatively powerful cartridges / rounds, in small light primary CCW guns, but as a BUG and get offa me gun, that will be carried much and fired little and is very easy to deploy, carried in a pocket holster and fired mostly in defense of life at close distances, it fills the bill nicely in this very limited case....

Funny thing though, I miss My compact BERSA Mini FireStorm in .45 acp, as much as I would miss My right arm, it was very comfortable and enjoyable to shoot accurately even with + P ammo, in spite of it being so small and light, with an 8 shot total capacity even.

"It's a tank-top and running shorts gun, like all its close cousins. If you don't run, wear a lot of spandex, or have lots of tailored suits, carry something bigger."

Gawd !!! people here would really laugh at Me, I carry a Glock 17 like it is a ( or pretend it is ) pocket gun....... :jester:

Come Spring thaw, I will shave Me hairy legs and wear shorts and a tank top and start biking and running once I lose a bit of weight......and re-gain Me girlish figure......:jester:

And I will still CCW a full size sidearm....... to show it can be done.

Spandex too, even though it makes Me look gay.