Which one??

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,572 Senior Member
Finely decided on 2 guns for CC Charter Arms .44 Bulldog or Ruger LC-9 , & a Charter .357 for the wife ( home defense only ) So what are your opinions about the .44 & 9mm, pros and cons and other thoughts.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I do not know how quality is as of late on those Charter Arms revolvers, however, I have had a yen for their .44 special Bull-doggy `for some time now.
    I personally would get a .44 special with a 4 inch barrel for the home fence if it were Me, Bud's gun shop seems to have good prices if they are ever in stock they sell so well....... Charter Arms also has a 9mm revolver called the Pitbull, never fired one, but I an intrigued non the less....

The stainless steel .44 Bulldog is selling for $ 369 ships free to your FFL

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_203/products_id/38055

I prefer this one, it has a 5 inch barrel

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_203/products_id/411552684

Out of stock
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I've owned 3 .44 Special Charter Bulldogs (original configuration -3 inch barrel) over the decades, I still have one. They are great guns. Very easy to shoot - your wife will handle the .44 Special much easier than she will .357 Magnum. They're compact and light, perfect for small as well as large hands. Every Bulldog I've owned has been accurate and reliable, none ever needing repair. The one I have now is my car gun - sits in my Mark VIII's center console.

The .44 Special is a perfect cartridge, combining adequate size and power with manageable recoil. Don't worry about expansion - that 246 grain bullet is already plenty big and it's not going to get any smaller. If lighter, faster bullets are your thing, they make 'em in 180 grain and who knows what else. Still big and still heavy. Gotta love it.

What about the 9mm? What about it? Great cartridge, has killed millions (literally) and they're all still dead. The .357 Magnum is the one handgun caliber I'd rather not be shot with, if it's all the same to you. I love the .357 Mag, and in my nightstand sits a S&W 386 Sc/S with a 2.5" barrel and 7 shot cylinder. Yummm. Nevertheless, truth be told, the .44 Bulldog is infinitely easier to shoot and control. I will always have a .44 Bulldog in my collection, end of story.
    Even with lighter so called Cowboy loads, the .44 special is a prime candidate for "Home Defense" ugh, how I hate that term, It does the job without beating up the shooter as much as a .357 magnum does.

If you can find one with a 4-5 inch barrel even better.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,765 Senior Member
    I have one of the newer stainless Charter .44s. It had an issue NIB, but charter fixed it quickly. It has been 100% ever since.

the .44Spl is like .45ACP in a revolver. It's a great round, and gets the job done. I carry the Blazer round with the 200Gr Gold Dot HP.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I've got a Taurus titanium 44 spl revolver for my "car" gun. It lives in my soft briefcase. Many times if there is an unexpected knock on the door late night I'll grab it. I load it with Critical Defense Hornady ammo. The 165gr ammo is very effective and has less recoil than a heavier bullet. Many people don't like Taurus but mine works and shoots fine and the factory ported barrel also helps recoil. If it gets stolen I'm only out $400.00 and will go to the LGS for a Charter 44. The 44 special is a great large caliber round and the Critical Defense makes it better. :up: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    I'm sure that I've posted before that my bulldog pug is by far my favorite carry piece. I've owned it for several years now and have never had an issue with it and it's actually quite accurate also. I own quite a few other guns that I could carry but I like the durability and versatility of a stainless revolver. I can be drenched in sweat and crusted with sawdust at the ranch and I don't have to worry about weather it will rust or fire. I also like to carry a mixture of shotshells and bullets when at the ranch and still have total confidence in it's functioning. I have been looking at the LCR or LC 9 also to be able to have something light to carry in my pocket when I'm wearing overalls so my answer would be buy them both.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    I shot one of those .44 spl charter arms and it shot ok. Actually, the one mentioned above.

Only, thing was that it was not as much fun to shoot as nec for someone to practice a lot with it.

For a carry gun not shot much
    I would consider it.

At the present time and my present thinking, if I wanted an uncomfortable revolver to shoot, I'd get a SP 101 and have a better revolver.
    Actually, I do; but, it is in an unpopular caliber on this forum, probably because none of the active members have one.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,809 Senior Member
    Good choices Jay... the LC9 is on my short list.

As far as the .44 special goes, I already have a bunch of capable calibers so the .44 special is on my back list.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,731 Senior Member
    Jay my wife has a LC-9 and it has functioned flawlessly since day one.

She finds it difficult to rack the slide at times, but that is a arthritis problem not a gun problem.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    First off you guys suck as enablers. The only obvious answer is that you NEED both. That being said I have always had a thing for the Bulldog .44 and it's been on my list for years. However, I really like the idea of a micro 9mm for EDC and just bought a Kahr cm9, (the Bulldog is still on the list). It's similar in size to the LC-9 which I also like, but was a little turned off by the manual safety.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,572 Senior Member
    Just ordered a .44 Bulldog, the only thing I don't like about the LC-9 is its DAO. and I am not to fond of the 9mm, I like big calibers. Actually if someone would make a 5 round gun like the Bulldog in .41 or .44 mag I'd buy it in a N.Y. second, If I missed the sob the muzzle blast and flash would be enough to send him packing.

JAY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with a .44 S&W Spl, good choice.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Finely decided on 2 guns for CC Charter Arms .44 Bulldog or Ruger LC-9 , & a Charter .357 for the wife ( home defense only ) So what are your opinions about the .44 & 9mm, pros and cons and other thoughts.

JAY

Okay selection but did you really "decide" on which gun "the wife" will use for self defense? I'd highly recommend you allow HER to decide after checking out various options. After all, she'll be the one using it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    samzhere wrote: »
    Okay selection but did you really "decide" on which gun "the wife" will use for self defense? I'd highly recommend you allow HER to decide after checking out various options. After all, she'll be the one using it.

Any time I get my wife anything ( guns, knives, fishing etc. ) its only after she try's it out and gives me the OK, right now " her " gun is my .41 mag Blackhawk.

JAY
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,313 Senior Member
    Trigger pull on the LC9 is really long. I would have bought one a few weeks ago but I hate long trigger pulls. I had hopes for the R51 but not so sure anymore, we'll see.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Any time I get my wife anything ( guns, knives, fishing etc. ) its only after she try's it out and gives me the OK, right now " her " gun is my .41 mag Blackhawk.

JAY

Okay, keen, just checking...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Trigger pull on the LC9 is really long. I would have bought one a few weeks ago but I hate long trigger pulls. I had hopes for the R51 but not so sure anymore, we'll see.

Longer trigger pull is something that you can get used to if you really like the gun otherwise, but it's of course better to get things ideal from the start. DA triggers aren't as comfy as the SA but you've got to analyze the complete picture. Terrific that we have the range of designs to choose from.

Actually, contrary to the expert pundit gun-writers notwithstanding, I have found the DA / SA trigger with its first long trigger pull an asset for the following reason, I carry such a gun, chamber loaded and safety off as I would carry a revolver, I practice and re-member that the first shot is indeed, a careful squeeze and a long one so as to not throw that first shot away, and the subsequent shots are SA smooth as butter..... This allows for a lightning fast first shot delivery, and SA follow up shots, and I did not read this in any gun rag at a newsstand anywhere, I have actually experienced it... last time on 4/24/2013, and it was a complete success / victory because of training & mindset, I survived to tell of it, because of or in spite of it.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,971 Senior Member
    I HAD a Charter Bulldog. Was a decent pistol, but was a little large for my taste as a CCW.

Since I have my PM40, the bulldog and I parted ways.

There are a LOT more choices in defensive ammo for the 9mm compared to the 44spcl. I carried the Blazer 200gr Gold Dot load in mine, I've also seen that bullet loaded in the Speer line.

So of the 2 you listed, I'd have to go with the LC9
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    I have both, but find the bulldog to bulky for cc for me. I pocket carry the LC9 with crimson trace every day, I don't even know its there most of the time. Trigger pull is long, no doubt, but it is not a target gun, it is perfect for conceal carry. It has proven 100% reliable so far.
    " it is perfect for conceal carry."

Concealed carry.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    " it is perfect for conceal carry."

Congealed carry.

Inspissate carry?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush wrote: »
    Inspissate carry?
    Oh Shush !

Go snog with a pretty tart somewhere. :jester:
    I ordered a stainless .44 Bull Dog, should have it by the end of the week. If the wife likes it I'll order her one. She has had very little experience with semi-autos and doesn't really like them, but does well with my wheel guns.

JAY
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    For strictly home defense, I would choose the Taurus Judge or the competing S&W Governor loaded with .410 buckshot.
    I would discount the quality of the Taurus because (hopefully) this weapon would have very limited use.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Airedale wrote: »
    For strictly home defense, I would choose the Taurus Judge or the competing S&W Governor loaded with .410 buckshot.
    I would discount the quality of the Taurus because (hopefully) this weapon would have very limited use.

The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    I'm sorry, I'm an old guy and completely don't understand your reply.
    Just my blank stare in reply to the 500th time someone has suggested the "Judge" or equivalent for home defense. If that is what you would use, great, fantastic. I am happy for you. Personally, I find the Judge and all of its ilk to be perhaps the finest example of marketing run amok in recent times. I would rather suggest someone give their wife a .22lr for home defense, because she could at least have some degree of accuracy and control with it. Again if you are happy with this as your choice, go for it.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,179 Senior Member
    Overkill is underrated.
    Jay, love your choice of the .44 Bulldog. I want to try one out someday.