Woman shoots neighbor through her front door?

2»

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Shooting thru a secured door is OK. Why not shoot when they enter the yard. I looked at him and I feared for my life so I had to kill him. I need to rent an apartment in Texas and invite a couple of acquaintances down for a visit.

That is a bit over the top old boy, there are medications for that these days you know, :roll:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    That is a bit over the top old boy, there are medications for that these days you know, :roll:

Sarcasm is a complicated thing for some folks.

And that old woman should be on them. Shooting through a secured door should not be tolerated. She could have waited for the door to open. I'm surprised at the folks that think this is OK.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Use the dripping with sarcasm emoticon......

sarcasm3_zps01011d89.gif
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

And that old woman should be on them. Shooting through a secured door should not be tolerated. She could have waited for the door to open. I'm surprised at the folks that think this is OK.

Perhaps she could have waited for the door to open, Do you know what terror is, or what it feels like ?

I could have shot a few folks, that broke in on Me and these were way inside My dwelling and I found it not necessary to shoot them, but that is Me and was My decision, not what someone else might do, or should do, or could do, Folks here would say that they that chopped in on Me like that and in that manner were bought and paid for, after a fashion.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member

That "secured door" was in the process of being broken down. "Secured" only gives the resident a little bit of precious time to prepare for the inevitable invasion to come, and when you're a female senior citizen expecting to momentarily be set upon by a much younger and stronger male, who is powerful enough to violently disassemble your "secured door," I would think it's high time to start shooting - before it is too late.

I am not ready to grant to the perpetrator of a crime complete control of the initiative. A criminal's actions, or inactions during the commission of his crime, should never determine the level, extent or duration of resistance or response of his victim, besides the perpetrator's complete surrender. Even an apparent retreat may be temporary or just a ruse and should not obligate his victim to cease or desist in self defense to any degree whatsoever. If we permit the criminals to control the actions of victims, we have the tail wagging the dog, the inmates are running the asylum. Once a person elects to commit a crime, and acts on that decision, he must be considered, even afterward, at risk of life and limb until he surrenders to the authorities or is caught or killed. Outlaws should be considered exactly that - outside the law - and the protections afforded by our legal system to the accused are only invoked upon his apprehension and being charged.
    horselips wrote: »
    That "secured door" was in the process of being broken down.

You know this how? We don't know what happened. He could have been fumbling with the door knob. Again we don't know but we do know she fired through a secured door.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    You know this how? We don't know what happened. He could have been fumbling with the door knob. Again we don't know but we do know she fired through a secured door.

Agreed. There's nothing in the news story that the door was being broken through (maybe I missed something?). All I read was that the guy was fumbling at the door, apparently trying to open it. I saw the news video where the guy's keys were found in the yard near him.

So it's apparent he was drunk and thought he was home. A sad situation but the woman's within her rights, even though we all are in agreement that firing through a door is not advisable.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    I've told this story before but it bears repeating, as it's a similar situation...

I grew up in KC and when I lived there, this happened: A young draft pick for the KC Chiefs had been offered a contract and was a rookie. He was from the KC area and was an excellent lineman, big and fast.

To celebrate his being hired, his veteran teammates went out partying, and they all of course got toasted. As a joke, they decided to prank the guy's girlfriend. They stopped by a 711 and bought a big red gift ribbon and bow. They got the rookie to strip naked and they tied the bow around his, well.. you know.

Then they drove to the apartment complex where the gal lived, and sent him up to her apartment at about 3am to raise havoc. He banged on the door, nobody opened it, so he (being a huge footballer) just crashed through the door.

Bang, one shot with a .357 from the frightened resident. Turns out that in their drunkenness, they got the wrong apartment building and the resident was just some guy.

So much for the Chief's draft pick, DOA on a stranger's floor. And like the case we're discussing, unfortunate but stuff happens when you get drunk.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,056 Senior Member
    Horselips-- I am wondering why it makes any difference at all in the sex/health status/size of the shooter and shootee? Was this woman's age something that made her bullets somehow less lethal and made it necessary for to shoot earlier than bigger men like me or Buford would? If she was using a walker, would she then be allowed to shoot them in her yard? How about a wheelchair? She should be able to shoot them in the street!

How about the former Marine/firefighter that was shot? I am sure he was in pretty decent shape, but then he was so drunk, a cab had to take him "home" and he still couldn't find his house. Anyway, my point is that a 90 pound meth whore can be just as dangerous as a 300 pound linebacker. In Sam's health, his bullets work just as well as the rest of ours.

I am not buying your "poor little old woman" argument. Like I said, my mom is the same age. No smart person (no matter what their size) would mess with my mom.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Just for the sake of broadening the argument, how do you know it's only one person out there? Some fool is trying to break down your door and you allow him to for the sake of target identification, THEN you fire only to find out his 5 other armed friends that were behind him now have access into your house. Would you feel THEN that you made the right choice?

This fool was an Marine turned Fire fighter I don't believe he was trying to break in the door. Just fumbling with the key lock they did find his keys on the ground. Of course most of this is assumptions but if he was breaking the door down there should be evidence of this.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,468 Senior Member
    :topic:

I don't see the appeal of a glass door. You can see them, but they can also see you...... better if it is dark outside...

Ever watch those home buying shows like House Hunters? Whenever I see a them look at a house with a glass door in the master bedroom, I just think those morons are one brick from having someone in your bedroom in less than a second.......

Hesla%20Todd%20Lake%20Ct.%20Master%20Bedroom.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    Actually Jerm, the "poor little woman" argument is quite valid.

I believe the proper legal term is disparity of force where as the elderly or infirm has a great disadvantage when threatened by a physically fit person and/or of greater size and strength but otherwise unarmed. Or when otherwise healthy person is out numbered, disparity of numbers. The law may allow, with all other criteria met for a justifiable use of deadly force, a person to use deadly force when their is a disparity of force, even if you use a gun against an unarmed person you REASONABLY believe is a threat to your life or great bodily harm due to their disparity of force.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    Without knowing all the details it is nearly impossible to judge, only second guess which is as useless as it gets.

Exactly.
    A lot of that glass don't break so easy.
    In this case a single woman in her 60's, alone in the house with a glass door as the only thing standing between herself and a drunk ex-Marine who has been repeatedly told she is armed and will shot and he is STILL continues to try to come into her house probably has a much better chance of getting a swift dismissal from a grand jury.

And here is my take on it. If it was my wife alone in the house while I'm on a business trip and some drunken idiot is trying to break in after she has warned him she is armed and willing to defend herself I would expect her to shoot for effect BEFORE our home is breached and wide open for whatever might be out there waiting for her. If it later turns out it was a mistake we will deal with that but it beats the crap out of the alternative.

One last point, just because someone is your neighbor and an ex-marine and firefighter you can NOT possibly assume that he is perfectly harmless during a dunken binge.

This pretty well explains my own view on the matter. The results were unfortunate but nevertheless understandable, and well within current Texas legal interpretations of Castle Doctrine.

Getting wasted drunk has consequences. Sad but very true. Having killed her neighbor, the woman will likely be plagued by this action the rest of her life.

All round, a sad and tragic event, but legally justifiable, at least in Texas (as it should be everywhere).

Just for the sake of broadening the argument, how do you know it's only one person out there? Some fool is trying to break down your door and you allow him to for the sake of target identification, THEN you fire only to find out his 5 other armed friends that were behind him now have access into your house. Would you feel THEN that you made the right choice?

As soon as the door is breached you fire. The other 5 guys are not going to be in any hurry to funnel through the door with someone firing a gun unless they were all wearing full body armor. We can talk what ifs all day long. I had two Long Beach police officers beating on my door at 2 am. I couldn't see them on the porch, they parked their car three houses down and walked to my house so I didn't see any black and white on the street, really stupid thing to do. Now I'm standing there with a 44mag thinking to myself this is it. Well It ended without any shots being fired.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    :topic:

Ever watch those home buying shows like House Hunters? Whenever I see a them look at a house with a glass door in the master bedroom, I just think those morons are one brick from having someone in your bedroom in less than a second.......

Hesla%20Todd%20Lake%20Ct.%20Master%20Bedroom.jpg

There is a film available from most glass companies that will take a full tube of 12ga slugs, a full mag of 45, and still require many hits from a sledge hammer by a SWAT officer trained in breaching to fail.
    Having said that I still don't like the fact that my house has a sliding glass door.
2»