Home Main Category Clubhouse

British phrases that crack me up

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
One I hear is "You Cow", "That stupid Cow" or "You Stupid Cow" when a woman or man is speaking in a derogatory manner toward/referring to another woman.

I don't get the insult save it means they are about mindless?????
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, cows are pretty stupid critters. I have no idea why they'd call someone that, though. Unless they were large, smelly, and could also lick boogers out of their noses like a cow. Cows are gross! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Being mindless is pretty much the right idea, a basic insult for someone stupid. Goes back to Shakespearean times, I think. I seem to remember Hamlet using that phrase. Maybe it was Falstaff.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,415 Senior Member
    A British gal I once knew told me to come by and "knock her up in the morning"...my reply was that while I liked her, I didn't think I was ready for that kind of commitment....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Well, cows are pretty stupid critters.

Yep.................................To prove it, here is a picture of a cow with its head stuck in a tree..........

038.jpg
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,887 Senior Member
    Judy had a cow named after her in her uncles barn :uhm: I wonder what that means. :yikes:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    NN, there are some questions best left unanswered..................................and better yet, unasked! :silly:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Another good Brit phrase is "old sod" (can be either denigrating or complimentary, ambiguous).

Best of all, a bit anti-Brit, is the Aussie term "Pommy" (or Pommie), for "Prisoner of Mother England), a derogatory term applied to Brits who come to Australia and spend all their time with "Back in England we used to do it this way..." or "England was better because..."

The phrase is however best spoken as its full length title, "Bloody Pommy"
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,855 Senior Member
    I'm an almost permanent first-hand witness that "such is life in the tropics"........

I like how they call (Or used to call) planes "kites".
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Another good Brit phrase is "old sod" (can be either denigrating or complimentary, ambiguous).

Best of all, a bit anti-Brit, is the Aussie term "Pommy" (or Pommie), for "Prisoner of Mother England), a derogatory term applied to Brits who come to Australia and spend all their time with "Back in England we used to do it this way..." or "England was better because..."

The phrase is however best spoken as its full length title, "Bloody Pommy"

Know why Aussies and Brits call us "seppos"?
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Know why Aussies and Brits call us "seppos"?

Buffco's Cockney rhyming slang?

Septic Tank = Yank
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,427 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Well, cows are pretty stupid critters. I have no idea why they'd call someone that, though. Unless they were large, smelly, and could also lick boogers out of their noses like a cow. Cows are gross! :tooth:

Yeah, but they taste good, :jester:

Cows are like Dummycraps. Dumb as a rock and always first in line for food. :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,451 Senior Member
    when I was much younger, I was talking with a female brit camp councilor that had come to Texas for the summer. She looked over to my very redneck buddy who was smoking a cigarette and asked
    "Do you have a [email protected] on you?"

The blank look on his face followed up by "I damn sure better not" was freaking hilarious.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,887 Senior Member
    When I was in Dairy land, a cow was a big fat girl.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Yep.................................To prove it, here is a picture of a cow with its head stuck in a tree..........

038.jpg

Aw, don't pick on the poor cow. People also get stuck in things, and places all the time, and they even get lost. It's gotten so bad that people had to invent GPS and navigation systems just to get where they're going, or get back home again.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    In well mannered society ''silly moo'' is considered more polite.
    shush wrote: »
    Buffco's Cockney rhyming slang?

Septic Tank = Yank

Quiet! I was trying to test Sam!
    orchidman wrote: »

038.jpg

That poor cow. Come midnight, ........ Nm.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Oh that's cute! She found your dating' tree!!!
    :love:

The well-trained ones back up to a tree stump!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Oh that's cute! She found your dating' tree!!!
    :love:

Nope...............her mum broke it off..............no bull.

Ok..............here we go with the cow jokes again.

I walked up to her and asked her "Do you come here often?" ........

She replied, "I am only heifer the night, Angus where I am going to be tomorrow night............But I am busy at the moment making a trunk call."

I suggested she might like to slip into something more comfortable and she said " You really know how to tree't a lady"
    Alec, is that one of your pictures? Looks like your kind of country in the background.

Folks, this proves that cows are stupid the world over. I don't have a picture of it, but my banker also raises cows, and he recently had to get his chainsaw out to cut a pecan tree down because a cow stuck her head in a huge hole in the trunk and was lodged there.

What are they looking for in there?
    Alec, is that one of your pictures? Looks like your kind of country in the background.

Yep................here is the story............ http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?8798-Here-is-a-picture-of-a-cow-with-its-head-stuck-in-a-hollow-tree
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What are they looking for in there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MnU6p3sGSw

Definitely a wrong place!
    Jerry