Home Main Category Clubhouse

Aborted babies incinerated to heat UK hospitals

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
This IS NOT an abortion pro/con thread. However, this just seems very wrong and I'm glad they stopped the practice.

On one hand I can see medical waste needs to be incinerated, on the other the thought of it (babies/fetuses) is repulsive. Then again how else would they get rid of it? Can't just throw it in the dumpster. In a purely practical sense, why not and if some energy can be 'Recycled" go fer it.

Maybe it's best we don't know what happens to it..........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10717566/Aborted-babies-incinerated-to-heat-UK-hospitals.html

"The bodies of thousands of aborted and miscarried babies were incinerated as clinical waste, with some even used to heat hospitals, an investigation has found.

Ten NHS trusts have admitted burning foetal remains alongside other rubbish while two others used the bodies in ‘waste-to-energy’ plants which generate power for heat.

Last night the Department of Health issued an instant ban on the practice which health minister Dr Dan Poulter branded ‘totally unacceptable.’

At least 15,500 foetal remains were incinerated by 27 NHS trusts over the last two years alone, Channel 4’s Dispatches discovered.

The programme, which will air tonight, found that parents who lose children in early pregnancy were often treated without compassion and were not consulted about what they wanted to happen to the remains."
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Chief, we're losing our souls.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,894 Senior Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,308 Senior Member
    I just Googled it. An infant is 75% water, I doubt they heated anything. The incerator may be used for heat, but the remains were not 'fuel'.....

Still horrible, but the news article itself is bunk....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I know medical waste/by-products need to burned to prevent spread of diseases. Chopped off limbs/tumors whatnot. I also know burning is the most sanitary way and some of those incinerator systems can use that energy and convert it to power for other uses.

Still.............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    In the US, there's a variety of things done with fetal material including sales to cosmetic companies. Fetal material contains high levels of collagen that is a popular ingredient in high end cosmetics.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Chief, we're losing our souls.

According to who's statistics you use, there have been 54.4 million+ abortions from 1973-2011, and an average of 3,288 per day in the U.S.
    So I have to agree with your statement. Something is very wrong about the situation, and what is done afterwards with the aborted fetus.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,567 Senior Member
    As you say, not an abortion pro/con thread: the deed is already done - but here's the thing. . .those offended by the practice are going to be offended by any aspect of it - possibly even seeking out reasons to be offended by any aspect of it. Those that aren't, probably not so much.

Practically, dead meat is dead meat and needs to be disposed of for public health reasons. Doesn't matter if it's amputated limbs, tumors, or entire carcasses - fetal or otherwise. Incineration is a highly effective way to keep any communicable "bugs" under control.

As to "heating the hospital", as has been said, water-heavy things like human tissue are not particularly effective as a fuel. The point, I think, is that if you've got a fire going ANYWAY, you might as well use that fire to heat up some water to run through your building's radiator. What is the sense of running a separate medical waste incinerator AND heating unit when one can serve for both?

At the end of the day, why can't the byproducts of death or dismemberment be practical? Sure, the Nazi's made us a bit squeamish on the topic in that their soap and lampshades were taken from people they murdered, but take the genocide angle away, and what's wrong with using grandpa for mulching the crops - or if you need something pretty, the starting point for a fruit/nut/shade tree? Ashes to ashes, after all.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A crematorium consumes HUGE amounts of fuel. My son's fiance' is an administrator at a nearby funeral home. Recently, one of their facilities burned down due to the fire in the crematory getting out of control. It seems the 400+ Lb. client they were trying to reduce to ashes exceeded the capability of the equipment and resulted in the building catching fire.
    Jerry
  • DurangoKidDurangoKid Member Posts: 183 Member
    If anyone in America killed 3,200 Whales everyday it would result in very long prison terms.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The Oro Valley Police Department (a Tucson suburb) has appealed to the public for information that would lead to the arrest of a puppy killer who fed a hot dog laced with rat poison to a 7 week old Chihuahua. If he was a doctor who had killed a thousand human babies, nobody would even bat an eye. Just sayin'.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,567 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    In general principle I agree with this statement but like BC said, this is not about pro-con abortion. This is about the dignified treatment of a human body after death, a subject that is highly emotional and very short on objectivity.

Herein lies the rub, as it brings up the old abortion argument of whether or not a fetus is technically a person. Once you start regulating treatment of what is currently classed as medical waste as a human body, the whole legal/illegal debate comes right back to the forefront.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee