Home Main Category Clubhouse

alphasig comes to Houston, huge fire breaks out

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
alphasig is in Houston for the next few days (he and I will meet up Wed pm 3/26, I'll post some pics Wed evening). All was going fine, until...

suddenly, a mammoth fire has broken out just a few blocks from where I live. And not too far from where alpha's staying. Hmmmm...

I am certain that there is no connection between alpha's visit and this fire. Fairly certain -- although there are theories regarding psychic juxtapositioning of various arcane elements of the spirits afloat in the world. And it's well known that alpha is somewhat liberal minded. I leave any final conclusions to your personal analysis.

Re. the fire... Girlfriend & I saw the huge plumes of smoke and she thought she'd ride her bicycle up to the fire, being curious. We turned on the TV and were stunned to see that the fire was actually a couple miles away. The flames were so immense that we'd underestimated the distance. Flames were shooting several hundred feet in the air at the fire's peak.

It was a huge city-block size apartment/townhome complex under construction, a monster rabbit warren in the area called "midtown" -- not far from our more sedate and old fashioned neighborhood (Teach can attest to the laid back area where we live). There are apartments, yes, (I'm as you know a lowly apartment dweller) but the units are low key, 5-10 units, quaint. And surrounding private homes and small scale townhome areas.

But not far away, in the mid-town area, developers have been constructing these immense and very ugly, massive 8-10 floor block-size lego-type teeny apartments, and this new one is what went up. Thank God the place wasn't occupied yet.

The "neartown" or "midtown" sections of most American cities are undergoing huge resurgences of young couples, young singles, and older retirees, who once lived in the deep suburbs and are now moving back into the city proper.

For the past 4-5 years, developers have been going nuts, razing old warehouses and small business zones, and putting up these huge squirrel cages.

Check out your network news or Fox or wherever -- this monster fire was a real doozy.

Great news? No injuries! All the workers evacuated safely, and no firefighter injuries either! Whew.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,300 Senior Member
    If it was occupied the sprinkler system would have probably been turned on. Might have kept it in control
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    If it was occupied the sprinkler system would have probably been turned on. Might have kept it in control

Maybe but I wonder. A monster fire -- check your Fox or whatever network. Flames several hundred feet in the air, biggest fire I've seen in years. Of course, we all were pretty awed by that Great Fire they had in London a while back, remember it well.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    DON'T!!!!!! The Texans heard a lib was in town and they are trying to smoke you out!!!!!

:spittingcoffee: Dadburn anarchist firebug! :rotflmao:

Hope none of the firefighters got hurt fighting that fire.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, you two should have some lively political discussions, neither giving an inch :yesno::yesno: :tooth:

Then when the conversation is about guns :guns::guns: all will be right in the universe again.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    DON'T!!!!!! The Texans heard a lib was in town and they are trying to smoke you out!!!!!

Be very careful when knocking on someones door. Stand to the side of the door when knocking.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Hope none of the firefighters got hurt fighting that fire.

No injuries to firefighters or construction workers! Pretty amazing, considering the scope of this fire and how quickly it spread.

Firefighters did rescue a worker who'd been trapped on a faux balcony, lifted him to safety just before the flames consumed that section. Close call but he didn't even need to get to the hospital.

Firefighters did a superb job holding the fire away from nearby structures, cops did great work re-routing traffic and keeping idiot gawkers at a distance. Bad fire but only property damaged, no people.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Well, you two should have some lively political discussions, neither giving an inch
    Then when the conversation is about guns all will be right in the universe again.

We plan to only discuss totally safe topics: Obamacare, Taurus firearms, .270 caliber uses, etc. No cause for alarm here.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    No injuries to firefighters or construction workers! Pretty amazing, considering the scope of this fire and how quickly it spread.

Firefighters did rescue a worker who'd been trapped on a faux balcony, lifted him to safety just before the flames consumed that section. Close call but he didn't even need to get to the hospital.

Firefighters did a superb job holding the fire away from nearby structures, cops did great work re-routing traffic and keeping idiot gawkers at a distance. Bad fire but only property damaged, no people.

Good to hear nobody was hurt. Fighting fires and protecting adjacent structures can be bad business sometimes. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,300 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »

The worker had to jump down one floor onto another balcony. He cam very close to going backwards off the one he landed on...... two stories up.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,427 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I still remember me and Jerry brining you back to his place down that, dark lonely road. And the look on your face. :tooth:

And to think that wasn't even Texas, but rather Tennessee! Wait what am I talking about? Those are mountain people and they have one leg longer than the other for walking around mountains and they're all stump broke. And they might be married to their sisters ah Goat
    On second thought Alpha, you're probably much safer with Sam!

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Damn! Dude was LUCKY!

Stunning video. Each time I see that I still get queasy. And right after the worker gets on the ladder, that entire wall collapses, could have easily struck both men. Luck doesn't begin to describe it. I'd be more inclined to thank Heaven, literally.

Today, the worker was interviewed, showed some burns he received. So there were injuries from the fire, but thankfully not severe, and amazingly no fatalities.

The Boston fire deaths show just how easily this can happen, though.