Home Main Category Clubhouse

Tragic fire in Boston today

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
Don't have all the details yet, but I have heard 2 of Boston's bravest won't be going home at the end of their tour. Just wanted to ask if you could take a little time and say a prayer for their families.

3e7asuje.jpg
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    :angel2: Bad fire and really bad conditions to be fighting one. I think they said the fire started in the basement, so I bet the heating system had something to do with the fire.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,437 Senior Member
    Prayers out to the families, Rest in Peace Brothers....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,823 Senior Member
    Most I ever cried at a funeral for a non-family member was when they toned out the "Last call" for a co-worker who was killed in the LoD 12/19/96 :tissue:
    http://honorees.nemsms.org/edwacs97.htm

My prayers go out to those families in Boston :angel:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    :angel: RIP Brothers
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Most I ever cried at a funeral for a non-family member was when they toned out the "Last call" for a co-worker who was killed in the LoD 12/19/96 :tissue:
    http://honorees.nemsms.org/edwacs97.htm

My prayers go out to those families in Boston :angel:

Chokes me up every time. I've attended funerals for people I didn't even know and it still got me.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Chokes me up every time. I've attended funerals for people I didn't even know and it still got me.

Man, gives me the Heebee Jeebees to think about it. I heard two firefighters died in this today. That gets me bad. I remember when I was on the Emergency Squad in the Chemical Plant. We weren't as professional as a regular fireman because it wasn't our primary job, but that didn't make it any safer or sooth my nerves in the least. I remember a couple of fires that got my attention. One was at the back of the plant in the gas separations unit. I was fire truck driver and the alarm came in. One of the Health and Safety guys met me at the truck (Which was parked in a garage across the street from my unit) and he gave me a specific note on where to park the truck for better access to the fire hydrants and up wind of the fire. When I went around the corner and headed north I saw the flames a half mile away and they were 70-80 feet high. I won't share with you what bodily function hinted at my guts. Half the Ethylene in south texas went through that gas unit from wells on the King Ranch. But you can imagine my relief when I discovered the problem was an instrument tubing had blown off a pressure tap and ignited. It was under 450-500 pounds of pressure so it was making a big flame. However all it took was a fine spray or full fog pattern to shield the brave soul who closed the 3/8 inch valve going to the tubing that blew off and the fire went out.

Another memorable time I got the pooh scared out of me was in a poly ethylene unit's catalyst area. The reaction had backed out of the reaction system's piping into the catalysts lines and they were hissing and popping under our feet. Here I was in a unit I had very little knowledge of and had no idea what was going on beneath me. The sprinkler system was going and you could barely see anything. We were soaking wet. We had power cone spray patterns to help further cool the lines in hopes that the reaction would die out when it got too cool. That's what happened so I'm here to tell about it. I'm no hero, just in the wrong place at the wrong time, LOL!!! But when these guys do this for a living they expose themselves to these kinds of dangers on a daily basis. And now and then the law of averages can catch up to you.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,740 Senior Member
    Prayers :angel2:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :angel2::angel2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!