Home Main Category Clubhouse

Field report - from the Sun House in Emigrant Montana

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
We arrived last night around 9:30 PM local time, after leaving the Miami airport at 10 AM. While all of the people living in the north have been craving warmth, we wanted some wintertime. The property we have lucked into is spectacular. We are about 20 miles north of Yellowstone.

As the sun came up to the east there is a herd of 21 deer and to the west a group of 8 elk. I am postin g from my iphone so I cannot post links or pictues yet.

If you want to see the property google: the sun house emigrant montana .

It's just the start of day one. I am going downstairs to make some breakfast. More to follow.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I googled it. Wow! Have a great time.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    While you are there try not to feed the Bears Dan.

Sounds like an awesome time Dan Ill google it a bit later
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Camping means a 3 star hotel just off the Vegas Strip. Roughing it is settling for the house wine at dinner. An outdoor adventure is a sidewalk café, or a backyard BBQ. Enjoy. There ain't nothing nice about nature.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Today we went from Emigrant to Mammoth Springs starting at 10:30am. We saw hundreds of bison, elk, mule deer pronghorn, and ewes, but no moose. One eagle, no yotes, no wolves.

The weather has been crisp and clear, at 15 F this AM, with a 1/2" dusting of snow, but warming to 38 in the afternoon.

Our accommodations are amoung the best I have ever had.

Tomorrow my in laws get here.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,135 Senior Member
    Lies. A link to Google photos don't cut it. You want to see the girl that is stalking me for sex? Google Kate Upton.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Lies. A link to Google photos don't cut it. You want to see the girl that is stalking me for sex? Google Kate Upton.

The view yesterday when we got up of the Absoroka mountains...

C38138FA-A12D-4913-B0FD-C8ABE294F207_zpsiqbd4rbw.jpg

Some bison near the road on route 89 on the way to the Rooseveltt Arch.

667B4222-489F-41C7-AAEB-F6EAA0F27EDB_zpsgg1ezkba.jpg

Check out how worn these antlers are on this elk bull... he is going to drop them soon I am sure.

DDE65900-1313-482A-8489-3933474B36B1_zpsbdco5g8l.jpg

Day two coming up. We had sausage and potatoes, eggs, milk juice and coffee for breakfast and plans are to head into town. Emigrant has a population of 397, while Livingston is 30 miles away and Bozeman is 65 miles.

More to come....

D
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,135 Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Dan, if you have time, drive across Beartooth Pass, I've drove it many times, one of the outstanding rides in the US, You wont be sorry. The town of Red Lodge Mt. is really neat great shops and restaurants.
    Welcome to God's country.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey that ain't FLA beach sand in that pic :jester:, but I reckon it will do. Have fun.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Dan, if you have time, drive across Beartooth Pass, I've drove it many times, one of the outstanding rides in the US, You wont be sorry. The town of Red Lodge Mt. is really neat great shops and restaurants.
    Welcome to God's country.

JAY

Jay, we really want to drive the Beartooth pass but it is closed until May due to avalanch danger. We spent yesterday being lazy, went to the local General Store, took a brief road trip through Livingston, Montana, then home. Today we did a tour of Mammoth Springs and saw the travertine steps and thermals.

We climbed altitude to blacktail flat, but as we got above 6700 feet the wildlife disappeared . Tomorrow we do Tower, the petrified tree and maybe Cook City.

We returned back the old Yellowstone Road west of route I 89 and again we saw hundreds of bison, deer and pronghorn.

D
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Great country! I was through there twice when Dad and I helped my brother move back to Tennessee from Beaverton Oregon. If you get the chance to make the trip over to Cody Wyoming, the Buffalo Bill Museum is a must see! Something like 5,000 guns on display, plus four other sections of the museum featuring the Wild West Show artifacts, a natural history section. etc. It's easily a 2-day tour to see it all.
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    You suck!!!

Thanks for posting this up Dan. I might have to plan my next trip to the SE around visiting that place!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    As Teach (Jerry) said if ya get to Cody, don't miss the B.B. Museum, oh and bring towels, ya might drool a lot.

JAY
    Here is a group of bison exiting the park ahead of us.

C35575C7-BF70-4F47-9658-E08AC2C37233_zpsj6lljxg0.jpg

Here we are at Mammoth Spring, at one of the travertine steps. Geothermal boiling water and acid dissolve calcium and deposit it in an enormous travertine dome.

A88D3026-D1BC-4205-9D1F-6E861B3B8B7D_zps0pi9hbao.jpg

End of day three, we came home to grilled burgers...

More to come!

D
    cpj wrote: »
    You drove to Missouri?

Beartooth Pass is on the Wyo. Mont. border

JAY
    cpj wrote: »
    You drove to Missouri?

Chris I am lucky to be able to post with the crude tools I have in the middle of these mountains, but yes I meant MT... :bang:

D
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There's a lot of scenery to enjoy up there. Enjoy the trip! :up:

And that herd of buffalo reminds me of a song; every time I see buffalo, this song gets stuck in my head for a day or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YflASNDUsIU
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,661 Senior Member
    Enjoy!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Up at 7 AM to watch the sun rise over the Absaroka mountain range. To the west less than 100 yards from the house a heard of approximately 200 elk walked by grazing. This was the largest single herd of elk I have ever seen outside the Elk Preserve in Jackson Hole. Only a few of the bull elk still had spindly antlers, and most have dropped.

It was crisp and a little misty early this morning but it has burned off and it is now sunny with a light high overcast and about 20 F.

We had a simple breakfast of oatmeal with maple syrup, cut fruit, and milk. Coffee is just a whole lot better in the morning when it is cold outside. One great feature of this home is the heated floor. The floors are stone and painted concrete, but we walk around barefoot.

We are heading into Bozeman to a grizzly bear rescue for the kids and a little shopping.

D
    Spent the day going into Bozeman. We went to the Montana Grizzly Experience, a grizzly bear rescue that has four bears. At first I thought it was going to be hokie, but it was great because of the host. They really do a great job showcasing the grizzly issues, and serving their animals.

Had a Mexican lunch, and hit some shops, including a pawn and antique shop. Picked up a pair of mule deer sheds for a home project for just $12. Lots of guns and knives, but no bargains.

Came home to magnificent weather,about 60F and sunny in the shadow of Emigrant peak.

851f7bae-6196-4374-a055-7b03e02f94d4_zpsc787006f.jpg

We combed the field around the house and found some deer bones, made a fire and roasted marshmallows.

End of another awesome day.

D
    [video]http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/Daniel_Scipione/media/707C765D-A98F-4E61-B257-34E46C39FAF4_zpsm5ldjpfr.mp4.html[/video]

This is a short clip if two of the bears that were rescued from a Georgia owner.

D
    Today was Wednesday the 27th. We decided to start the day early and headed back into Yellowstone. The westher started crummy but improved. This elk decided to strike a pose before we entered the park...

88F186D8-785F-4E70-95F0-96F1A23BAB43_zpsn56cznoq.jpg

Only the north road of Yellowstone is open in winter, and you can go as far as Cooke City outside of the NE entrance, about a two hour ride. The road east of Cooke City is closed and only accessible by snow machines.

We saw some amazing animals today. The largest bull bison were obvious with their huge heads. This pair was hanging out past Mammoth Springs.

D50153E5-BEFA-4012-A354-B533C69F3FA6_zpsajnu3pa2.jpg

We saw some big horn sheep rams, and moose today. We climbed to about 8000 ft in Cooke City the snow pack much deeper. The NE Yellowstone entrance is open but unmanned and deep in snow.

7EBBB6A9-38AE-48F9-827D-6396637FA4C6_zpsq643uuya.jpg

We came home to another great view of Emigrant Mountain.

08FF3310-9EB3-4AD0-9000-0B1EA7B14623_zpsnt25arax.jpg

We walked the fields around the house looking for sheds but only found one deer skull.

Tomorrow we relax at home.

D
    March 27th - day 7

It was a stay at home day. Slept in, played Balderdash, then went back to bed. I wasn't feeling 100% and one of the kids came down with a fever.

The weather turned odd today. About 3:00 PM we had a thunderstorm of hail and snow. The hail was small but unlike snow it did not melt when it hit the ground. It was followed by 1 inch of flurries ghat blanketed everything. My in laws leave in the AM.

D
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    March 27th - day 7

It was a stay at home day. Slept in, played Balderdash, then went back to bed. I wasn't feeling 100% and one of the kids came down with a fever.

The weather turned odd today. About 3:00 PM we had a thunderstorm of hail and snow. The hail was small but unlike snow it did not melt when it hit the ground. It was followed by 1 inch of flurries ghat blanketed everything. My in laws leave in the AM.

You're not the only one suffering. Winter's last gasp blew even through Tucson, Arizona. Temperatures plummeted into the high 70s, and we won't see the 80s again until the weekend. This is ridiculous - after all, supposedly, one of the benefits of living in a resort community is...you get to live in a resort community. How I'd like to spank Mother Nature for this.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks like a great family trip with lots of memories. Neat to visit, but it would way too cold for me to park my rear end there on a permanent basis.

Thanks fer sharing the pics and stories.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!