Home Main Category Clubhouse

The Iliad

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
I'm sorry Achilles was a whiny momma's boy.

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I never liked Achilles either. Here you are, practically invulnerable, and you're always sulking and complaining. "Hey, Achey, grow some like Odysseus here!"
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    This one came out of right field?
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    So you're saying Achilles was a heel? I'm up with that!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Since you started the thread about these people...

My "hero" of all time has been Odysseus (Ulysses). Unlike most all the other heroes of epics, Odysseus was 100% human and although he was helped a lot by Athena, he made his own way and told the gods to kiss off.

I'm thinking that there was an actual person upon whom Odysseus was based, a seriously bad adventurer and thief who made his own way in an age when there were few other individuals to did that.

And naturally I've read the Odyssey numerous times, mostly the Fitzgerald translation. And yeah, the Armand Assante-starring TV miniseries was excellent.

The killing of the suitors is still one of the most exciting passages in all of fiction, Ulysses and his son slaughtering all those rich snobs. Preceded of course by Ulysses' stringing that mammoth bow. The first arrow went through the 12 axe heads. The 2nd shot went straight into the throat of the chief suitor, up to the fletchings. Keen.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,203 Senior Member
    Athena's Blessings!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Diomedes was THE man.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Many folks have no idea that is where "mentor" comes from...

I also tell folks the Iliad is the greatest military story ever told, and it applies to ever generation that sends husbands and fathers off to war.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    And yeah, the Armand Assante-starring TV miniseries was excellent.

Except for Armand Assante.... reminds me of a reincarnated Victor Mature...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    I always like Hector....it really pissed me off when Brad Pitt killed him and desecrated his body...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Except for Armand Assante.... reminds me of a reincarnated Victor Mature...

There is that, albeit he's a better actor at least.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Hold on! Doesn't the Achilles (tendon) make the foot work. Just asking. :tooth: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Samz: I agree about the suitors. The Odyssey just takes too long to get there.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    Achilles was a nancy boy with Patroclus. But then so were most Greeks. Alexander's father Phillip was killed by a former lover, with the aid or encouragement of Olympias, Alexander's mother.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Samz: I agree about the suitors. The Odyssey just takes too long to get there.

Well, it's not the Readers' Digest, for certain. But some stories are good in the telling, y'know. I find the character of Ulysses so fascinating, how he's always working a scam, even on the gods who try to help him.