Home Main Category Clubhouse

What's for dinner Dad?

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
This week's menu:
*Pasta pomodoro cruda. Pasta, olive oil, and raw tomatoes with basil and parsley
Fajitas (there ain't no such thing as chicken or shrimp fajitas so we don't need description )
*Enchiladas a la Borrunda with red sauce and chili con carne gravy
Chicken pot pie
*Sub sandwiches with home made meatballs
* indicates a child suggested dish

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I only recognize the chicken pot pie and the meatball subs. And I also won't eat anything I can't pronounce! :rotflmao: :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,894 Senior Member
    We had chicken
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,135 Senior Member
    Homemade pasties.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,308 Senior Member
    a217e0d08b14f3fea61dd9ebda77.jpg+497.jpg+tyson_frozen_grilled.jpg

15 minutes start to finish...............

Edit; and..............

300_134743.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Leftover chicken, stuffing, sourkraut, and sweet potatoes.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,894 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    Leftover chicken, stuffing, sourkraut, and sweet potatoes.
    People actually eat sweet taters
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Homemade pasties.
    Didn't the stripper object?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,308 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Ummm, no.
    Me and alfredo....don't mix. I used to like it. Then, one time at Olive Garden both myself and an ex girlfriend got that. Next morning, both of us were puking our guts out. Once I un-eat something, I typically won't eat it again for a looooong time. I tried it for the first time in 15 years ago a few years back....nah. Can't do it.

I get it. I haven't eaten in a Denny's since 1998 after a bad sausage.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Homemade pasties.
    Didn't the stripper object?
    Not too much. That is some tricky grammar there. Pasty= Meat/potato/rutabaga pastry. Pastie= singular boob cover. Pasties= Plural for both words.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Damn right! My MIL made the second best sweet taters I ever had.
    NN wrote: »
    People actually eat sweet taters
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    On an inspection trip through central Mississippi, I picked up a 40-pound lug of just-harvested sweets from a grower there. Fresh ones are awesome, microwaved with a little butter. Some of the ones in the store have been in storage since approximately the Eisenhower administration!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Fresh sweet potatoes baked in the oven and given a good dose of REAL butter is good eats.

Little known fact about baked sweet potatoes: If you don't pinch the ends off after baking and before eating, they will produce 10X the amount of gas and give the butt-trumpet a run for its money! Also, eating any kind of beans with baked sweet potatoes is like mixing nitroglycerine with C-4. :silly:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    My secret to awesome sweet potatoes is steam. I peel and cut them into appx two inch chunks and steam them for 30 minutes. Add butter and brown sugar.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    My secret to awesome sweet potatoes is steam. I peel and cut them into appx two inch chunks and steam them for 30 minutes. Add butter and brown sugar.

Dan, You lost me with the brown sugar. Butter is fine, then season them with salt and pepper......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    I have been dieting for the last two weeks (8 pounds lost) and decided to make something similar to the Big Boy/Weight Watcher's cabbage soup recipe. Diet or no diet, I love this soup. The kids liked it and even had seconds. Mrs. Jerm doctored it up "her way" and added some chicken stock, a bit of olive oil, diced potatoes, and a ton of garlic. The "base recipe" I have below comes in at 112 calories for a 16oz bowl. Every time I get this at Big Boy, I add a buttload of pepper. If I were to deviate from the base recipe, I would add garlic and dill on top of my buttload of pepper:

1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup diced green peppers
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 quart water
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1 quart canned tomatoes
    1 small (or half a large) head of cabbage chopped coarsely
    1 quart tomato juice

In a stock pot, sweat carrots, celery, and green peppers with a bit of water and salt until tender.
    Add the remaining water and the rest of the ingredients to stock pot. Bring to boil, simmer on low for an hour or until the cabbage is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

When you first add everything together, the onion soup flavor is going to come out strong-- I almost freaked out. After it simmers for awhile, the flavor starts to mellow and everything tastes like it is supposed to. The above makes about a gallon of soup.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,442 Senior Member
    A bowl of Honey Nut Cherrios
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I have been dieting for the last two weeks (8 pounds lost) and decided to make something similar to the Big Boy/Weight Watcher's cabbage soup recipe. Diet or no diet, I love this soup. The kids liked it and even had seconds. Mrs. Jerm doctored it up "her way" and added some chicken stock, a bit of olive oil, diced potatoes, and a ton of garlic. The "base recipe" I have below comes in at 112 calories for a 16oz bowl. Every time I get this at Big Boy, I add a buttload of pepper. If I were to deviate from the base recipe, I would add garlic and dill on top of my buttload of pepper:

1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 quart water
    1 quart canned tomatoes
    1 quart tomato juice

In a stock pot, sweat carrots, celery, and green peppers with a bit of water and salt until tender.
    Add the remaining water and the rest of the ingredients to stock pot. Bring to boil, simmer on low for an hour or until the cabbage is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

When you first add everything together, the onion soup flavor is going to come out strong-- I almost freaked out. After it simmers for awhile, the flavor starts to mellow and everything tastes like it is supposed to. The above makes about a gallon of soup.
    Thanks for the recipe Jerm, It sounds great. I happen to have all the ingredients on hand. I'll try it tonight!
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 quart water
    1 quart canned tomatoes
    1 quart tomato juice

Thanks for that recipe Jerm. Made it this morning and had it for dinner, followed the recipe to the letter EXCEPT I couldn't resist adding some browned cubed Elk steak and another packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Yummy!!
    Awesome! I always use recipes as suggestions anyway. It appears that you made the concept work for you.
    -Thomas Paine