Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fuel topped off?

2»

Replies

  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    JLDickmon wrote: »
    Floods the charcoal can. Can make purge and vent solid valves malfunction


    I know the charcoal cans can become flooded, but never heard that it might happen due to 'topping off'. The other cases (extremely few to be sure) that I'm aware of were due to other malfunctions in the fuel system. (plugged return line, IIRC)
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Y'all have my luck on the road. Stop and fill up at what you thought was a good price and then see it cheaper by a dime down the road a bit :bang:

    A couple cents a gallon won't sway me, especially on Interstate exits where getting back on or driving further and crossing a lot of traffic is required. I sure won't drive across town someplace for "Cheap Gas" when I may take 1/2 gal to get there and back in traffic and distance because it may save me a buck, but cost as much in gas for the trip. At least in my Saturn, 12 gallons max and usually 5 or 6 when I top off.

    Maybe a vehicle with 16-20 gal tank and near empty may make a difference.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    No, but it will sure as heck set codes.
    So, it might affect mileage. Depends on how the software is written, as far as what it does to the fuel and spark curves when the MIL is lit.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I usually top off at 1/2 tank and especially after a trip just to be in a good "Standby" like we did vehicles in the Army so we would be ready roll again if need be.

    :that:
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,653 Senior Member
    I normally keep my truck above 1/4.

    Sam, according to everything i can read, CURRENT automotive fuel tanks are designed to trip the auto valve when the tank is at 80-85% of its actually capacity to prevent overflow from heat expansion.

    If there's a situation where there's a high probability of me needing to make an "emergency" road trip (Pregnant D-I-L approaching due date) I'll increase my minimum to have more than enough to get where I need to go plus 25-50%.

    In the D-I-L scenario, that meant keeping it at 1/2 or more. That was enough to get me there + ~50-75 miles.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Sam, according to everything i can read, CURRENT automotive fuel tanks are designed to trip the auto valve when the tank is at 80-85% of its actually capacity to prevent overflow from heat expansion.

    Thanks for the info. Modern vehicles have all sorts of sensors and valves and whatever that the old ones didn't offer. For better or worse, depends.

    I now remember my Mini-Cooper ('67) that had two, count 'em, two separate gas tanks, one set into each space just above the rear wheelwell and intruding into the shoulder-bag size trunk. There were 2 separate filler pipes, very short, about 4" that went straight to the tanks. Naturally you'd be filling the tanks and the hose shutoff valve was either not there (this was the 60s and you still had those thin hoses and perfunctory nozzles), and if you weren't careful, whoosh! and a big spout of gasoline would gush out and wet your legs and make sticky goo on the car's body. Lotsa fun owning a Mini-Cooper, eh?
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Modern vehicles have all sorts of sensors and valves and whatever that the old ones didn't offer. For better or worse, depends.

    I now remember my Mini-Cooper ('67) that had two, count 'em, two separate gas tanks, one set into each space just above the rear wheelwell and intruding into the shoulder-bag size trunk. There were 2 separate filler pipes, very short, about 4" that went straight to the tanks. Naturally you'd be filling the tanks and the hose shutoff valve was either not there (this was the 60s and you still had those thin hoses and perfunctory nozzles), and if you weren't careful, whoosh! and a big spout of gasoline would gush out and wet your legs and make sticky goo on the car's body. Lotsa fun owning a Mini-Cooper, eh?

    My Chevy 2500HD 4x4 doesn't pee gas on me when I fill it up, clear to the top. Right to the cap.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Like the 22 shortage that caught many by surprise do you keep your vehicles topped off or are you the type who drives around with a 1/4 tank or the gauge on fumes? I used to gas up only for the needed amount of daily driving but the last few years I religiously kept both the trucks and car topped off. Haven't gone as far as keeping a couple 5 gal cans around (although I should) but it's nice to know I always have a 400-500 mile radius should the need arise.

    It's $3.60/gal regular here right now and $4.12 for premium. Brutal. Keeping the F150 topped off requires federal reserve assistance.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    My Chevy 2500HD 4x4 doesn't pee gas on me when I fill it up, clear to the top. Right to the cap.

    As I said, you musta missed out on the varied joys of driving a primitive 60's Brit hotrod.

    What I was saying is that, I guess, the truck doesn't actually know when to stop accepting gas, it's the person operating the hose. And with the teeny short filler neck on the Mini, almost any attempt to really fill the tank was subject to a momentary lapse of reflexes, as you tried to get that last little bit in, and hit the pump handle a bit too hard. Swoosh. Yet another example of topnotch Brit engineering.

    I kinda think the truck would do the same if you kept the handle pulled. Unless it's got some sorta magic re-router pipe?
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Y'all have my luck on the road. Stop and fill up at what you thought was a good price and then see it cheaper by a dime down the road a bit :bang:

    Step into the modern world Chief, there's an app for that! (Gas buddy)
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    My Chevy 2500HD 4x4 doesn't pee gas on me when I fill it up, clear to the top. Right to the cap.


    Same here, with just about every vehicle I've owned. I say just about because our newest (2012 Ford Escape) apparently has a 'hey stupid' hole just below the top of the neck that WILL pee out if you try to top it all the way off, but it does it into the wheel well, not down the side. Mebbe I'm doing it wrong? :jester:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,728 Senior Member
    I fill up just about every outing and living 15 miles from the nearest gas station I have no problem hitting the lever a few extra times and right now don't have to worry about heat expansion.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Same here, with just about every vehicle I've owned. I say just about because our newest (2012 Ford Escape) apparently has a 'hey stupid' hole just below the top of the neck that WILL pee out if you try to top it all the way off, but it does it into the wheel well, not down the side. Mebbe I'm doing it wrong? :jester:

    No, as I said, you've just not been a recipient of amazingly retro Brit automotive engineering. On my Mini, it was a straight 4" pipe, no bleed holes. Actually, two pipes, one for each gas tank. What fun it was...
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,535 Senior Member
    69 Vette had a 3 in hole IN the gas tank. There was no tube. Real easy to top off. Of course there were no sensors and other GARBAGE to deal with, and it still got close to 25 mpg if you kept your foot out of the secondarys and ran fast enough to be efficient. 65mph was a sweet spot for long trips.

    As for filling up, I like to fill up at 1/2 tank because 32gal when the low fuel level comes up on the screen is painful to the right hip pocket. However I normally fill on payday once in a while I need to stop before that if I am doing running around or hauling. The id-10-t nozzels have a tendancy to kick two of three times before I get 32 gal in it though so it is a manual thing.

    The bike is once a week if I am just commuting. I fill it at 120ish on the tripometer, topping it off, then burping it, then topping it off. I store it for the winter as full as I can with Sta-Bil in it. If you keep it full, it wont condensate, and rust will not form on the inside of the tank. 6 carbs means dirt and rust BAD.

    At home thare is always 2 ish gallons of mix gas for the chainsaws, and a 6 gallon is pretty much always full for the splitter, loader, generator..... whatever. I put a pump on my heating oil tank and run that in the tractor, so there is anywhere from 100-275 gal for it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement