Home Main Category Clubhouse

Best April Fool's pranks you've done?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Best April Fool's pranks you've done? Gotta be something you personally took part in, okay? And yeah, we know it could be something as "exciting and original" as making a prank phone call (Prince Albert in the can) but c'mon, let's hear about a truly original prank?

Like the "Wainwright Award"?...

Guy at college was on a personal vendetta for me. He was "editor in chief" ha ha of a small campus newsletter, sponsored by the school. I wrote and published an "underground" rag, and although I freely gave my name, myself and other contributors poked fun at the school. So this guy used his school-paid newsletter to ramp on me.

Therefore I simply reprinted his diatribe but correcting his grammar, grading him C- and that got him angry. So he ranted and ranted and insulted me, hinting that I was part of a Jewish conspiracy (my name is Jewish but I'm not).

That was it. So... About a month after (just about April 1) he got a nice official letter on Kansas City Star newspaper letterhead, that he was gonna be awarded the "J. Homer Wainwright Journalism Award" for his forthright battle against yellow dog journalism, specifically mentioning his flame war with me. That the KC Star reporter and photog would be there Sunday afternoon to present the award, given by the widow of the "famed" but deceased Star editor Homer Wainwright.

So naturally the guy was ecstatic -- he dedicated his next newsletter to the upcoming award, and that Sunday they had all gathered to await the KC Star team. He had his parents, his girlfriend and her parents, and the dean of student affairs, all eagerly waiting for the Star team (Kansas City is about an hour's drive from KU, in Lawrence KS).

Naturally the team didn't show. After waiting a couple hours, he phoned the KC Star. And naturally the Star people were quite amused, an AF prank.

Wow, you've never seen a bunch of people so angry! My pals and I laughed for days.

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Or, at school, if I had another enemy, occasionally I'd run an ad in the Daily Jayhawk (the main campus paper) that would say "Must sell, getting drafted! Genuine raccoon coat, great for football season! Please call after 10 pm"

And naturally all the frat rats would drive him nuts.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,203 Senior Member
    We never waited for 1 April to pull off a prank, when the opportunity arose!! We put a co-workers motorcycle on the hanger roof, glad it was only a 90CC. Going down was easier than up!!
    I once pranked my stepson... between marriages he moved to the Bay area and roomed with me, then got a job for an electronics company and a small apartment in Palo Alto. He was a big baseball fan and so we went to a SF Giants game one Saturday as near to April 1st as never matters...

Stepson is very much into technical stuff and is slightly obsessed with detailed matter, like Spock. As we sat down, he explained to me in excruciating detail that all his life he'd wanted to catch a major league foul ball but today, no way, as we were seated behind the foul screen and any ball would have to squeak through the teeny gap above the screen and below the press box.

Well, before the game starts, a couple arrive and sit next to us. A nice quiet guy and a very cute girl. All the whole game, my stepson chatted up the girl, extreme and kind of pushy. The boyfriend was irritated but said nothing.

Amazingly, about the 5th inning, here comes a foul ball right over the screen and straight for us. "I've got it!" my stepson yelled, and shoved both me and the girl out of his way, and caught the ball. And naturally, the remainder of the game, he bored us to tears about the ball.

A few days later he got a phone call at work. It was the "legal representative" from the San Francisco Giants Baseball Club. He wanted to tell my stepson that the girl was filing personal injury civil charges due to "bruising about the muscles and connective tissues" when she got shoved. But that there would be a way to peaceful settlement, if he'd relinquish the baseball and let her have it. That the Giants legal rep, Norman Filbert attorney at law, would send my stepson a prepaid mailer, etc etc. Of course the "lawyer" was a friend of mine, reading from my prepared script.

Naturally, all the previous week, my stepson had bragged about his foul ball catch and had agonized all his pals at work. Now this new twist. He told the lawyer he'd consider it, and then spent about 2 hours cajoling everyone at his office/lab about the event, whether he should give up the ball or go to court.

Finally he phone me at work, asking for advice. I said, "This lawyer. Was his name Norman Filbert?" and he said "Why, yes. How did you--- Arrgh!! Arrgh!! You did it!"

I said "April Fools" and hung up.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I'd tell you..........but I'm a little fuzzy on this whole "statute of limitations" thingy.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    A few buddies and I picked up the back end of another friend's car and turned it 90 degrees while it was parked in a driveway with a steep 2' drop on either side. There was maybe 6" of maneuvering room on either end. After watching him blow up for about 5 minutes, we came out of hiding and helped him straighten it back out.
    That's a funny one, Mississippi. I'm guessing that the pal had been bragging about his parking skills previously?
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    That's a funny one, Mississippi. I'm guessing that the pal had been bragging about his parking skills previously?

Nah. We just decided to mess with him when the opportunity presented itself.
    Nah. We just decided to mess with him when the opportunity presented itself.

Good, but best is creating and planning a "personalized" joke, based on the person having bragged or otherwise "asked for it" in some way. And ideally, if you can get the person to "help" with his own demise. For example...

I worked for a while in an electronics company in Kansas City, in the 60s. Previously, Charlie Finley had purchased the KC Athletics and then moved them to Oakland. A couple years after, KC was an expansion team, the Royals. Now being a totally new team, they put out a request that any local semipro or other experienced players could try out for the team. Keep that in mind...

We had a city softball league, typical easy playing games, Saturday afternoon. Our company had a team and we were the worst, fielders often standing there with a beer in one hand during the game.

This new kid came to work at the company and apparently he'd played Ban Johnson or whatever and offered to be our "coach" (as if that was a real thing). So he shows up with a clipboard, stopwatch, and whistle. Ordering us to "take 4 laps!" and so on. And he was so in your face (the DI in Full Metal Jacket) that it made our normally casual game of softball onerous. So...

One day he receives a letter, on official KC Royals stationery (amazing how you can lay hands on things if you work part time for a big newspaper, as I did). The letter praised his get up and go attitude in the face of such sloppy players (us) and told him that he might not get a starting job but one year of triple A and then he'd be ready as a starter.

So he shows up at work, dangles the letter in our faces, telling us to screw off and so on. And naturally we asked him "Well, can you get us passes for opening day?" to which he laughed.

And he quits his job as receiving inspector! And (his girlfriend and her mom worked the assembly line, the mom told the following)... he goes down to the KC Royals office, carrying his cleats and glove and flipdown sunshades, and takes his girlfriend and her mom along for the victory.

Naturally the team office had never heard of him and the operating manager was nice enough to chat with him, "Son, someone's played a prank on you. This is Royals stationery but there's no guy named Filbert here."

So he crept back to the company's manager and got his job back (he was a pretty good inspector, better inspector than baseball player, I guess). And naturally, when he walked by our department, we'd ask "When's opening day?"

Can you spell "angry"?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    The guys my wife works with are constantly putting ads on Craigslist listing another guy's phone number for all kinds of crazy stuff from gay sex to free boats. Since it's not the victim's ad he can't delete it. And the paybacks always escalate.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    No comment! I didn't do a thing! I swear!
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    Typical office pranks, best done at random days, not Apr 1? I recommend:

Simply turning down the brightness of the monitor. Works best on sales reps.

Leaving a "While you were out" message on a sales rep's desk, phone number would be the local zoo, and the people who phoned the sales rep "Mr. Baer", "Mr. Lyon", and my fave, "Mr. C. Lyon"

And for those who have computer supervisory access and programming skills, a program I wrote, suggestion... My program would check to see who had logged on, and then initiate a timing. It would simply switch off the keyboard intermittently for about 3-4 seconds. The time between turn-off would be random, maybe 40-50 seconds to 2 minutes.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,983 Senior Member
    Back in 1953 we dressed up as gangsters, one of the guys had a 39 Lincoln Hearse, Since I was the smallest I got to play the victim, I stood on the corner of Lincoln Rd. & Collins Ave. on Miami Beach wearing a black suit, shirt, tie, and fedora, the guys pulled up and yelled " mugsy your going to die" they shot me with cap pistols, I clutched my chest and broke the ketchup balloons, and fell to the sidewalk, they stopped the car, opened the trunk threw me in and drove off with my arm hanging out while I poured ketchup down my arm and into the street.

10 minutes we got arrested, one of the cops said to bob, the driver, " how stupid are you, we do business with your father we know he owns the only 39 Lincoln Hearse on Miami Beach.

Yes it did happen on April 1, 1953 I'm still friends with some of the guys and we still laugh about it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I posted a note in the 2nd Amendment section a few years ago that reeled a few in. Something about Old Farts, I think.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Back in 1953 etc etc
    JAY

Now that's a terrific prank (prank on nobody but it still counts)!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,224 Senior Member
    I read today that George Clooney and Matt Damon were in a movie together. Clooney bribed a costume worker to take up Damon's clothes an eighth of an inch at a time so Damon thought he was gaining weight.

I don't know if this is true but it's a very good prank.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    In a tire factory, carbon black powder mixed with Vaseline can find its way onto lots of things- - - -like telephone receiver earpieces and the black toilet seats in the women's restroom! About a pound of the powder got poured into the air conditioner blower over the desk in the maintenance supervisor's cubicle. When he came in for day shift and turned the AC on, it looked like somebody turned the lights off!
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,983 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Now that's a terrific prank (prank on nobody but it still counts)!

Quite the contrary, the tourists were running and screaming and ducking for cover.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jgunpilotjgunpilot Member Posts: 211 Member
    A great computer prank is to get on someone's machine and take a screen shot of their home screen. Then take this screen shot and set it as their Desktop image. They will click on those little, dead icons all day sometimes...
    "Remember, the state appointed psychiatrist is not your friend." - Jack Handey®
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    jgunpilot wrote: »
    A great computer prank is to get on someone's machine and take a screen shot of their home screen. Then take this screen shot and set it as their Desktop image. They will click on those little, dead icons all day sometimes...

Well, there you are, long time no see. I wuz just thunking what may of happened to you yesterday.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Back when cars had hubcaps we would pull a couple off and fill them with gravel, sounds like a major bearing failure while driving. Also at work if a pop can is left unattended then a small vent hole poked below the drinking hole in the side makes for great dribble cup. Burn gel on the ear piece of a telephone causes some cursing to whomever uses it, must be careful that no one else uses the mark's phone though.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Back when you could pop the hood of the car from the outside, we had a bunch of fun with **** fluid and carb. vac. lines...the longer the line, the further your victim would be down the road (did this to a racing buddy of mine at the track...thought he blew the engine).
    Vasaline on the underside of car door handles, tool box drawers, etc.
    Those little pull apart fire works are fantastic attached to the door jamb and the door, or the drawer and the cabinet.
    Never on April 1...my best prank is to have folks all edgy when I around...

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Quite the contrary, the tourists were running and screaming and ducking for cover.

JAY

Well, I meant, nobody specific was selected for the prank, a general audience. But excellent.
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Back when cars had hubcaps we would pull a couple off and fill them with gravel, sounds like a major bearing failure while driving. Also at work if a pop can is left unattended then a small vent hole poked below the drinking hole in the side makes for great dribble cup. Burn gel on the ear piece of a telephone causes some cursing to whomever uses it, must be careful that no one else uses the mark's phone though.

Re. the phone thing, I agree that it's imperative that you prank a specific person and not just leave the setup for the next person -- that sort of thing would indicate crassness and not a good joke. Best if worked on a crabby, impulsive guy.

Re the soda pop and the rattle, reminds me of a thing we did back when I was working on a pit crew and our driver raced Mini-Coopers and a Datsun 2000 sports car... not a prank, but funny...

Summers at the racetracks could be hot, and adding the asphalt, the engine, and the driver's suit, it could get blistering. So we wanted our driver to be more comfy... We got a new half-gallon plastic windshield washer bottle from the auto parts store, plus some hose. Rinsed it out good and filled the bottle with ice water, taped it to the upright of the roll bar behind our driver, let the tube come over his seat and dangle down the front of his suit. We kept the tube in place with a patch of duct tape.

Well, driver was happy, knew now that during the race, all he had to do was snatch the tube, get a cold drink, just let the tube drop and hang for the next drink. So he was racing along, took the opportunity of a straightaway, got the tube and had a nice drink just before he was deep into a curvy point of the track.

And naturally, when he let the tube go, he'd created a siphon that very dutifully dumped a half gallon of ice water down the front of his suit and into the bucket seat!