Home Main Category Hunting

First attempt at "Old School" 38 spcl "snake shot"

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,602 Senior Member
Can't find any of the Speer 38 cal shot capsules to load, so I just tried making some "old school" snake shot.

5.0gr Unique,

Hornady 35cal gas check (cup down) used the mouth expanding die to "seat" it in the case.

77.5gr of #12 shot (My preferred shot size for snake shot)

Hornady 35 cal gas check inverted and crimped over the top.

Works good :up:

This is from a 4" S&W at ~6 feet, which is about as far as I expect to need to use them. One GC hit sideways, and the other cut a nice hole dead on POA.

DSC_0001_zps4999b4dc.jpg

edited because I found it's easier to install the first GC cup down as well
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,731 Senior Member
    Careful there Buddy...next thing you know we're going to have some maroon claiming that it's the best thing for home defense since the .410....Seriously...I like it...I see some .45 Colt snake loads in my future...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    That's pretty cool
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,371 Senior Member
    Looks good, I have done that before using the vegie black powder wads in place of the gas checks in 44 mag brass.

Sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,602 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Careful there Buddy...next thing you know we're going to have some maroon claiming that it's the best thing for home defense since the .410....Seriously...I like it...I see some .45 Colt snake loads in my future...
    Hey, shot capsules for the 45 colt are the only ones I can find in stock, and they can hold more shot that just using GCs

Also, I edited the OP because I found it's easier to install the first GC "cup down" as well, thought the expander plug in my RCBS dies nice it a NICE cup shaped dimple

edited to add: I also gave up on weighing the shot charges, poured some shot in my scale pan, then poured them in slowly until the shot was just BARELY above flush with the mouth, used the wadcutter seating stem to slightly compress the shot, hold the GC flush and put a fairly heavy crimp on them
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Academy has .22, .40 and .45 in stock. Can you shoot that stuff through a rifle? Is there a wad the stays with the shot on the way out?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member
    You've got the right idea, Paul. Six....maybe ten, feet is about max. Nothing kills snakes deader, even a load of #6 shot from a 12 gauge. I've blown snakes clean in half that had a lot of life left in them, but the old .38 Spl #12 shot load is the only thing I've seen that makes one go "lights-out limp". But.....you've gotta be at almost hand to hand range. Beyond that....meh.

I once had a guy tell me he used to routinely shoot dove with a 686 loaded with "snake shot". I didn't waste much time trying to tell him my own lies. I couldn't top that one.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Linefinder wrote: »

I once had a guy tell me he used to routinely shoot dove with a 686 loaded with "snake shot". I didn't waste much time trying to tell him my own lies. I couldn't top that one.

Mike
    Could be like me, I used a 1911 to kill a couple of doves, now I HAD already crippled them with a 12ga, and as I went to pick them up they would sort of fly away a few feet, and as they got up the next time I popped them with a CCI shot cap from it.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Could be like me, I used a 1911 to kill a couple of doves, now I HAD already crippled them with a 12ga, and as I went to pick them up they would sort of fly away a few feet, and as they got up the next time I popped them with a CCI shot cap from it.

^This^

I load 'snake shot' .38's for this specific purpose - #6 with about 4 grains of Unique. Since I've gotten older and fatter, it isn't as much fun to chase a slightly wounded dove around through mesquite and various snaky looking sticker bushes. I wouldn't be foolish enough to try to bring one down on the wing, but at 5-10 feet on the ground, it works OK. After slogging around in sandy soil all day, and shooting two boxes of 12 gauge shells to kill 15 doves, I'm hunting some shortcuts. I don't use a shot cup, though. It works fine with cardboard or horse hide and a dab of hot glue, or even Elmers glue if you want to wait for it to set up.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,602 Senior Member
    Cool idea Paul. If I had any reason to make some, I would. Not too many snakes that need shootin around here. Might be handy for starlings in the barn....
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Paul, Where did you find #12 shot? The smallest I could find is #9's, so that is what I used. I also load 9's in 20ga hulls for quail, and early doves..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Paul, Where did you find #12 shot? The smallest I could find is #9's, so that is what I used. I also load 9's in 20ga hulls for quail, and early doves..........Robin
    Bought it from BPI a few years ago. Since I only use it for handgun shotshells, that 10# bag should be a lifetime supply.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,022 Senior Member
    Those loads can work well, just do a double tap if the snake is swimming for a quick and sure kill, as the water lets the snake move with the shot hit and lessens the effect.
    If'n they're swimming, I'll use "real" bullets. The shot shells are for, as your waffle chef puts it, "OH CRAP IT'S A SNAKE"

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Academy has .22, .40 and .45 in stock. Can you shoot that stuff through a rifle? Is there a wad the stays with the shot on the way out?

You can shoot it from a rifle, but it has the same range limitations as a pistol. There is, for lack of a better term, a base wad just like a shotshell over powder wad between the shot and the powder, and it pushes the shot out of the barrel. On the pistol rounds, that plastic cup in place of the bullet is brittle, and shatters as it passes through the rifling. But the plastic base pushes the shot out.

Here's a picture of one. The white piece is the base that goes over the powder. Shot is placed in the blue cylinder and the white cap pressed in. Then the assembled capsule is loaded into a charged case and lightly crimped in place. Too much crimp will crack the blue plastic case.

SP878ShotCapsule_L_zps98dbe388.jpg
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • WheresMyGunWheresMyGun Member Posts: 139 Member
    my uncle likes to shoot snakes ........ he got some steel BB's off of A GUY WORKING IN THE MALL YEARS AGO......... sorry for the caps ....... anyhow the guy was using them in some sort of floor buffing machine ..... gave my uncle a big cup full that lasts awhile and has cut some snakes in half .. but at spittin distance
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    On the first sunny day in February. TKOTCB found a young copper head on the walkway near our gate. She is deathly afraid of snakes, but she was afraid that it would bite one of the dogs, so she pushed it under the gate, with a rake, all the while screaming like a little girl. I wheeled my chair out to see what all of the commotion was about. I saw the little booger coiled up and striking at anything that moved. I told her to go get my Ruger Bearcat, that was loaded with .22 caliber snake shot. She shot the gun at the snake five times and missed it every time. I took the gun from her and told her that I would aim the gun and she could pull the trigger, (my fingers were not yet working correctly). At a range of about 10', I centered the snake in the pattern, dispatching it nicely. When I asked her how she missed it five times, she said its hard to hit something when you close your eyes. God, I love that woman............Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO