Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

cain on 2A

DCortezDCortez MemberPosts: 58 Member
Well, if the states can regulate one constitutional right, they can regulate them all. Illinois, California, and NY have horrible gun laws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wmhu1QkRbqY

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,612 Senior Member
    Freedom of religion, too. From Fox News Sunday, July 17:

WALLACE: So, you're saying that any community, if they want to ban a mosque ...

CAIN: Yes, they have the right to do that. That's not discriminating based upon religion -- against that particular religion. There is an aspect of them building that mosque that doesn't get talked about. And the people in the community know what it is and they are talking about it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    This is the rest of what Cain said: “I don’t believe states should restrict access to guns, but what if a state wants to pass background checks? What if a state wants to pass carry-and-conceal? That’s what I’m talking about,” he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57282.html#ixzz1ZYSnVP9b

Sounds fine to me,
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    This is the rest of what Cain said: “I don’t believe states should restrict access to guns, but what if a state wants to pass background checks? What if a state wants to pass carry-and-conceal? That’s what I’m talking about,” he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57282.html#ixzz1ZYSnVP9b

Sounds fine to me,

Is that not infringements on where the 2nd amendment says none can be placed? Seems to me someone who claims to be a Constitutionalist ought not have such a belief that the Constitution can be crossed in such manner. If he holds the belief that the 2nd amendment doesn't mean what it says then what other amendment doesn't mean what is written in the Constitution?
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    Is that not infringements on where the 2nd amendment says none can be placed? Seems to me someone who claims to be a Constitutionalist ought not have such a belief that the Constitution can be crossed in such manner. If he holds the belief that the 2nd amendment doesn't mean what it says then what other amendment doesn't mean what is written in the Constitution?

It was the state of Florida that was a forerunner in CCW, starting all the way back to 1987. Florida has continued to legislate pro-gun laws ever since. Sure, states like NY, IL and CA have done mostly the opposite, but if it wasn't for the CCW movement, where would we be today? Florida has reciprocity agreements with 36 or so other states, all of whom honor each other's CCWs.
    It's easy to be a "purist" and say that there should be no gun laws at all, but that's never going to happen. States have rights, for sure, and they are as bound to the Constitution as the feds. The recent SCOTUS decisions have helped enormously, but we still have a long road ahead of us. Owning and possessing a firearm is clearly established by SCOTUS, but the carry of hand guns is not.
    It is the states and their CCW laws that provided the impetus to get us this far. What other options are there?
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Plus starting today the gun laws passed in 87 along with the CCW now have teeth to them.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    What if a state wants to pass NO CARRY AT ALL? Or NO ACCESS AT ALL? Or go back to MAY issue status?

Matters not that the SCOTUS has ruled recently that the state or city can not totally restrict access if Mr Cain thinks that it is the right of the state to do so and chooses justices who agree with him how long might it be before the state govts or the federal govt do indeed institute those restrictions?

The SCOTUS has ruled at least once that Social Security is not an entitlement and yet what is it the politicians claim it is even today?