Home Main Category Hunting

Best 357 magnum revolver for hunting

WORLD TWORLD T MemberPosts: 262 Member
I would like to buy a new 357 mag revolver to shoot hogs and deer within 50 yards. I have shot deer/hogs with 44 and 460 magnums. Time for a new 357 to do the job with now. What do all of you handgun hunters use 357 mag wise? Post pics if you have them.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,914 Senior Member
    Ruger GP-100 is my preferred .357 - it's a solid frame (no sideplates), and locks the cylinder back, front, and bottom. The extractor rod does not rotate, so no hangups or inconsistent action if it somehow got bent. It's a stout beast. 4" or 6" barrel would depend on your uses, local hunting regs, and how it fits in with your other toys.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    As far as revolvers go, I would choose one of my S&W 686's. The 8 3/8" barreled model in the photo would be ideal.
    The 6" barreled model could have the heavy underlug removed and would also be very well suited to hunting.

686sisters.jpg
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    If it was me I'd look for a good used N frame Smith. I killed a doe years ago with my 19. But it's old now and retired to my wife's nightstand duty with SD 38 spl loads. But good luck whatever you decide on. I really enjoy handgun hunting and have 2 new ones to blood this year.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,593 Senior Member
    Smith or Ruger. Take your pick. I have a 4" GP100. Not hunted with it, yet. There is a very nice Smith at my LGS that I'd love to have. Not for the $800 asking price, though.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,769 Senior Member
    I've got a 6" Dan Wesson Model 15 that is an amazing hunting handgun...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 792 Senior Member
    I shoot a Smith and Wesson 686. Shot my 8 point buck last fall with it using Buffalo Bore 180 grainers.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,859 Senior Member
    I would suggest Ruger for the pistol as it would handle about as hot of a load as you want to put through it for hunting.

Speaking of ammo, what would be a good commercial round to use?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I would suggest Ruger for the pistol as it would handle about as hot of a load as you want to put through it for hunting.

Speaking of ammo, what would be a good commercial round to use?

Buffalo Bore and Double Tap are the constant recommendations for high powered rounds.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=303_331

Looks like you can get 700 fpe or so out of a .357.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I never hunted with them but a model 27 or 28 would work.
    Freedom arms may be the best ?
    Skipped right by one of my favorites cartridges though the 41 mag

69b04b50-b932-49c4-87ea-8789f8838f36_zpsb3c012d6.jpg

IMG_0316-1.jpg
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,378 Senior Member
    coltpythonelite001.jpg

This would be my choice..... except I'm afraid to scratch it, get it wet or even dirty:silly:

Sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,659 Senior Member
    6" S&W 686 with red dot
    Load is LBT 180gr FNGC in front of a max charge of Li'l Gun
    DSC_2780_zps2cad9613.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    I've killed a few deer with a Ruger Blackhawk in .357, before I moved up to 44mags (and the the 454 Casull)

As for loading a 357 mag hot, if you have to go above published loads, maybe it's time for a 41 mag. (and to kill deer at 50-75 yards, standard "max" loads with a 357 magnum work for deer.

Oh, and one caveat: Shot Placement! Shot Placement! Shot Placement!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    586-686 (686 is the same in stainless) S&W with whatever barrel length you like. I have an 8 3/8 but a 6 works great too. I like the 8 3/8 for the longer sight plane and I don't want a scoped handgun because to me, it defeats the purpose.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,573 Senior Member
    I also have a 6" Dan Wesson that I would absolutely be comfortable hunting with, though I haven't yet used it for that purpose.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    I have a 4" S&W 686, and my son has a 6" 686. They both shoot good, I have started looking for a 8 3/8" 686 just because. We both keep our shots on deer to 50 yards or less. (Bow Range)
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have a 6" Colt Trooper Mk III, that is a tack driver. I have killed 6 deer with it, 4 were hit by cars and had to be put down. I hand load 158 grain SWC flat nose bullets, cast out of wheel weights, over 17 grains of H-110. I have a few cast out of pure linotype, saved for thick skinned critters, like hogs. I also have a 6" stainless Ruger Security 6, that I carried in the Florida marsh, and a 6" Dan Wesson. All of them are very accurate, and a pleasure to carry, but the Trooper is my favorite........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • remmagremmag Member Posts: 92 Member
    The best shooting .357 I've had is the S&W 686, I have 6" barrel, very accurate. My ruger, loved it and looked cool but didn't hit well with it...actually all three of my rugers (yeah, they looked so cool I got three different ones) It I want to hit something consistantly I used the S&W 686. Last hit was a jack rabbit, head shot at 30 yards (was luck involved?? we'll never know)
  • best defensebest defense New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    I must agree that in my personal experience the Smith & Wesson 586 or 686 is probably the best revolver in the 357 caliber. They're not too heavy to carry all day and they perform well. Ruger makes a pretty good gun, but they tend to be heavier and I prefer the trigger pull on the S&W.