Changing a head Gasket...

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,508 Senior Member
Spent this weekend changing out a Head Gasket in the Explorer. I was surprised at shape of the upper and lower. Not to bad for an older engine. The gasket wasn't broken, just completely worn out. But, The valve covers and manifold gaskets were almost non-existent. There was no trace of gasket between the throttle body and Intake manifold...

Learned some valuable lessons.

But one the most important, Make sure you reconnect everything...Every last one of the damn cannon plugs has a purpose...even that little cap plug that goes to the Crank sensor...Don't forget that SOB when you still have Power Steering pump off.

Another thing, a power steering pump still has fluid in it even after you think it is drained...and it will pour all over the floor while you are removing it from the bracket, making everything in between slick as snot.

And one final piece...Sometimes a hammer is okay.
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    Did you need to consult "The Sailor's Guide to Magic Words and Incantations"?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    About 100 years ago, a shop in Nashville had a sign on the wall- - - - -"We repair automobiles- - - - -We also fix Fords!"

Nuff said!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    And one final piece...Sometimes a hammer is okay.

A hammer is ok or getting hammered makes the job a little easier.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,451 Senior Member
    I may or may not have broken the parking brake lever in the Liberty today..... hammer.gif

I pulled the parking brake on the other nite (for the first time since we bought it.) When I released it, they were frozen on. Pulled it all apart, cleaned, filed, wire wheeled, greased, and bought new shoes, pads and rotors. (Made another trip to the parts store for rear axle seals since the cups on the old one were awful rusty)

Turns out the brake lever is self adjusting. It takes up the slack in the cable like a winch. Well with all new parts back in, I needed that slack in the cable back. Couldn't figure it out how to release the tension. Pulled on the lever with a bit of oomph and the coil spring in it broke...... :bang: New one is <$50 so not to bad of a up.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Sometimes a hammer is okay.

Percussive Engineering definitely has its place. :tooth:
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I would have had it done in a day, but I spent about three hours trying to get the exhaust off....First I couldn't get the last bolt off of where the exhaust bolted to the head..almost completely rounded that bastard. So then I tried to get tho the exhaust flange and do it that way. Getting to those two bolts was an exercise in frustration. My knuckles look like I was in a fight from slipping on of the bolts and banging the frame, drive shaft, undercariage, and a few other things...on the drivers side, everything is in the way of getting the exhaust off.

At one point, if I could have lit the truck on fire and pushed it out of the Hobby shop bay on flames...I would have..
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."