Home Main Category Hunting

Turkey hunting in the wind and rain?

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 13,679 Senior Member
Waste of time, set up as usual, any sugestions? Hunt early, hunt late? My season runs from the 26th through the 30th and it's going to be raining the 27th through the 29th to varying degrees. I have some dialed in at their roosts, could not get one to walk out of the woods yesterday morning. I do have a hub blind to use so I will stay fairly dry. I did not use my blind yesterday morning, I sat down in a brush pile and some weeds with my Gilly suit. Thanks in advance
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,762 Senior Member
    You're right....largely a waste of time....especially if it's raining. Hell, I've had some stay roosted all day in those conditions. If it's just windy, it's always worth a try, just remember that the wind will limit your up-wind call range...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,679 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You're right....largely a waste of time....especially if it's raining. Hell, I've had some stay roosted all day in those conditions. If it's just windy, it's always worth a try, just remember that the wind will limit your up-wind call range...

How about right after it rains AND later in the day?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,913 Senior Member
    Three days of rain? They're going to get hungry eventually. Let that make them stupid. Be ready to pounce if it looks even a little clear.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Thanks guys, it is 38 degrees and raining hard off and on, my motivation is low.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    How about right after it rains AND later in the day?

They have to eat sometime...I've killed turkeys in the middle/late afternoon many times. If I know where their roost is, I'll set up between where they are feeding and the roost and wait for them to come home. Use your call to locate them then move to intercept. More spotting and stalking/ambush than anything else...
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 792 Senior Member
    You need to invite your friend from SW Minnesota to come up and hold the camo umbrella for you!
    You need to invite your friend from SW Minnesota to come up and hold the camo umbrella for you!

Sure, if you quit hogging all the pheasant hotspots in your backyard.
    cpj wrote: »
    Lucky you. Our hunting time closes at 1:00 pm

Some places have silly laws....I'd invite you over but I suspect that you'd balk at paying 100 bucks (license & permit) to take a crack at a gobbler....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I've got several flocks of turkeys that make this area home. What I've noticed over a lot of years of watching deer, turkeys, skwirrles, wabbits, and quail is that they all exhibit the same behavior to rain and incoming storms. They get out there and pig out before it hits, and if there's good daylight after it's over they are back out there foraging. If it's raining in the morning but clearing up in the afternoon, be out there before the rain stops and get set. Same for clear in the morning but rain coming; be out there as they will be feeding before it hits.

Yesterday morning the turkeys were all over the creek bottom getting vittles; rain was coming. By noon it had started that drizzly rain that makes birds not like to be out, and the turkeys had hit the trees across the creek to roost. They were back out early this morning in the same place, and it's fixin' to rain pretty soon. There's a few stomping around the creek now getting bugs, seeds, and clover. They will be in the trees again before the rain hits; the woods across the creek are pretty protected from the wind and give them good shelter.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 792 Senior Member
    Sure, if you quit hogging all the pheasant hotspots in your backyard.

You know there is an open invitation to come pheasant hunting.
    You know there is an open invitation to come pheasant hunting.

You need to talk to Alec so we know in advace when you will have a picture of pheasants stacked up on the tailgate.
    OK, I have my compadres that live in the area spotting for me, they are still around the field I have been hunting at 5:30 last night, I get out to the field about 7:45 PM and gobble call, nothing, I set up and sat tight till the end of legal shooting, nothing, nary a gobble. They have been roosting along this field so I get back out there in the dark this AM, gobble call, nothing. I set up for an hour and watch the sunrise, nothing, nary a gobble. Last saturday AM they gobbled steady for a couple hours. The rain finally mostly let up yesterday afternoon late, we have gotten 2-3" since sat. evening . I drove around the area until just now and glassed fields and gobble called, nothing. Is this what is called "henned-up", the Tom's are busy with the ladies and ignore everything? Any suggestions?
    OK, I have my compadres that live in the area spotting for me, they are still around the field I have been hunting at 5:30 last night, I get out to the field about 7:45 PM and gobble call, nothing, I set up and sat tight till the end of legal shooting, nothing, nary a gobble. They have been roosting along this field so I get back out there in the dark this AM, gobble call, nothing. I set up for an hour and watch the sunrise, nothing, nary a gobble. Last saturday AM they gobbled steady for a couple hours. The rain finally mostly let up yesterday afternoon late, we have gotten 2-3" since sat. evening . I drove around the area until just now and glassed fields and gobble called, nothing. Is this what is called "henned-up", the Tom's are busy with the ladies and ignore everything? Any suggestions?

Lay off the gobbles....get a slate or box call and start making hen calls - purrs and clucks. Henned up is when they won't leave their girls to investigate another girl....so far you've been sounding like a guy....Our gobblers are notoriously close-mouthed critters and gobble very little ... I've got a gobble call, but use it very little and then only as a last resort.

Once they get truly henned up, spot and stalk/ambush is about your only option.
    I am just gobble calling to locate, the crows were squaking all morning, a couple crows were in my field of vision, nobody was talking back to the crows, they must be henned up.
    I just picked up an owl call, I have had good luck in the past getting a response from a gobble though.
    I just picked up an owl call, I have had good luck in the past getting a response from a gobble though.

Anybody kmow how to make a Primus Owl Call NOT sound like a duck:tooth:? Much better night to finish my turkey season, had 6 hens and a tom within 60 yds, got to watch them for about 1-1/2 hours with my back on the tree. I think my new gillie suit was flagging me, it looks like a leafy pattern and there are no leaves on the oaks I was sitting in, I was the only thing blowing in the wind, if only the tom would have walked around 1 tree.......
    cpj wrote: »
    When you blow it, "say" who cooks for you, who cooks for y'all?

Yep, still sounds like a duck. I was cracking myself up at my un-owl like sounds, the instructions say to blow harder if it sounds like a duck, I just sound like a duck going through puberty.