Learn me about nice sailboats please?

13»

Replies

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    One last try,

you can also google "whatever boat floor plan/layout" and see if you like it. I just did it for a catalina 30.

there is a lot to learn for terminology and even with my time sailing and taking classes, i know there is still a lot to learn. I think if you get a "how to sail" book or "sailing for dummies" it would go over a lot. you maybe able to find much of it on the web by googling.

good luck and smooth sailing.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I give up.

Well, it's not as though you really exhausted your full knowledge of sailing in the effort. Whew!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Buffco wrote: »
    No, they're not.

And for your protagonist:

Jon-Boat-cover_fu.jpg

But then I'd have to find a couple of drunk rednecks to sit in it and drink beer. Launching it over water is of course optional and it's likely safer in the open field configuration. Just take off the tarp and you're good to go!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    But then I'd have to find a couple of drunk rednecks to sit in it and drink beer.
    I volunteer! (As long as I am allowed to stand up and pee off the side.)

Edit-- I mean PORT side.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I volunteer! (As long as I am allowed to stand up and pee off the side.)

Edit-- I mean PORT side.

You only pee over the Port side if you have been drinking Port..................(walksawaymutteringaboutbloodylandlubbers)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,417 Senior Member
    Mitch can gripe that his ladyfriend not only lied about the size of her yacht- - - - -she also made him row!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    I always heard "Port and Starboard" in that order, just like I've always heard "Left and Right" in that order. Kinda more simple of a way to remember it.

It used to be "Larboard" and "Starboard". Imagine the sailor who had a bit too much grog during a full broadside. "...what did Cap'n Bligh just say?!!

btw... "right" and "left" would be too confusing as sailors on boats during battle were helter-skelter, facing every which way. Starboard and Port (or larboard) is relative to boat, not sailors position. Kinda like a pilot, "left" and "right" is irrelevant. "Bandits 10 o'clock left!!!" See the confusion?
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Her boat should be custom from an Australian maker. She makes a remark about the fact that it isn't a Kiwi maker but the company offered x y and z features. She sailed it in stages to the left, right, third, south or east Fla (sorry don't have a nickname for it) coast She remarks on the hassle of one way tickets. Says she could have bought a good one x times from a US maker for what it cost to get it here but, as her hand caresses the rail leading to predictable thoughts from Mitch, says it was totally worth it. Couple of details like her hair getting blown into her mouth and we're done.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Why the hell didn't they just call it.....left and right?

Because the 'Port' side is the side of the ship that is normally tied up to the dock when the ship pulls into port. Sheesh, bunch of wobbly legged landlubbers! :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    May I suggest the following link?
    www.buizenyachts.com.au/buizen48.htm

BTW the self furling sails came in handy during a dicy time off the x coast.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    Sam, your gonna have to decide what type of rig the boat will be, Sloop ( Bermuda ) cutter, ketch yawl, or gaff. The sloop is easiest for 1 or 2 people to sail, my favorite is the ketch or gaff. Notice I left out the "square rig " as that takes a whole crew.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Listen and watch this video, Sloop John B. May not help your quest though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAoEf1Ib58&feature=kp
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,529 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    You only pee over the Port side if you have been drinking Port..................(walksawaymutteringaboutbloodylandlubbers)

Port side is where the port comes in, pee off starboard, never mix. Since you are on the hull of the world, perhaps it is backwards from up here on the deck.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,529 Senior Member
    If you are looking for a funny woopie scene, she could be a kayaker.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Sam, your gonna have to decide what type of rig the boat will be, Sloop ( Bermuda ) cutter, ketch yawl, or gaff. The sloop is easiest for 1 or 2 people to sail, my favorite is the ketch or gaff. Notice I left out the "square rig " as that takes a whole crew.

JAY

Absolutely I need to pick a boat type to start. I had thought a sloop (from seeing pic of them and remembering my one time on that type of boat).

• calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    The only high end ones I know about are Hinckleys. http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/

I toured their shop the last time I was in Maine and I've been on a couple of them at the Annapolis Yacht Show, but I've never sailed on one.
    No one should be allowed on a sailboat, or especially a Navy ship, that cannot sing this song with vigor and feeling. Adding of verses is highly encouraged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

And if you sailed the Caribbean, sail or power, being able to sing this one is MANDATORY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi8IokYYR4M
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,147 Senior Member
    I should have thought of this before...my wife has been researching some topics on different things and has located thousands of instructional youtube.com videos on various topics. I just tried using the search words "the basics of sailboating" and it gave me 12,300 results. You can refine your search to whatever topic you want and probably learn more about sailing and sailboats than you'll ever need.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    Tenmike , ya brought back some great memories, thanks

My brother and I were very much into " The Irish Rovers " so much so that he named his 41' Hatteras " Finnegans Wake " . We would be on the flying bridge going to the Bahamas singing it as loud as we could.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Jay, sea shanties had a purpose other than just singing them, as you know. They raised the spirits of the crew and gave a feeling of camaraderie that could not be done otherwise. And they helped pass the time when things got boring. I don't know if Navy crews sing them now, but the ship I was on heard a bunch of them ringing out above and below deck. One thing I know; they made boring work seem to go a bit faster.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    More important they provided tempo for multi-man team tasks like furling square sails and pulling heavy lines.

Or, in my case, heaving on a 5" mooring line to pull the ship in tight to the dock. Only windlass we had was for the anchor chains; everything else was 'turn to, heave!'

This one came out while I was enlisted. It got sung "for the 'ell of it" on a regular basis in port, out at sea, and anytime 'just because'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_poMZSUUyg