Looking for cheap CC gun

2»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Good point, Myth. I do think however that for a starting SD shooter, the quantity of practice rounds fired will not likely be a big factor. For continued shooting, sure, but for the amount of shooting required to become acceptable with a handgun, then own say 100 rounds of SD ammo, not a big jump in costs, I think.

For overall gun ownership, however, you're correct, especially if choosing a "oddball" round like .45GAP or .357Sig.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    Cheap??

I'd check the local gun shop/pawn shops for a decent used S&W or Ruger revolver. I found a Ruger SP101 for $350, I am looking to find another for not much more.

Buds gun shop has NEW S&W 637 listed at $361, Ruger SP101 in 357 at $464.

I dunno about pawn shops, every one I've ever looked at wanted ridiculous $ for guns, and I do mean ridiculous. I've seen old rusted scratched dinged-up junk that they were asking NIB prices for, usually with a tag that claimed it was a rare or hard to find model or that it was magic and could make you fly, etc..
  • Troll Em' UpTroll Em' Up New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    amtilton17 wrote: »
    Hey,

I am a recent college grad, working a minimum wage job with student loans. I have a CCP and am looking for a cheap, reliable CC pistol. I would like something at least 9mm and bigger than a Keltec. What are your suggestions? Hoping to stay around $300.

I've purchased a few guns off gunbroker.com. All of them arrived at the local gun store on time and in the expected condition. Plenty of guns to look at and consider. Most guns offered also have a phone number attached so you can actually speak to someone if you have specific questions or concerns.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    I dunno about pawn shops, every one I've ever looked at wanted ridiculous $ for guns, and I do mean ridiculous. I've seen old rusted scratched dinged-up junk that they were asking NIB prices for, usually with a tag that claimed it was a rare or hard to find model or that it was magic and could make you fly, etc..

Locally the gun shops are also generally pawn shops (not all of them mind you but enough of them). The normal everyday pawn shops are indeed quite pricey on stuff but the gun/pawn shops are quite reasonable on new guns and not bad on used stuff. I just picked up a second Ruger Sp101 in 357 for $400 or less (the wife decided she wanted one after I got the first one, the latest one has March 2011 on the envelope holding the fired case).
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member

Same problem around here. Buds Guns is usually cheaper, and Gunbroker is typically a LOT cheaper than the local gun/pawn shops.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • amtilton17amtilton17 Member Posts: 54 Member
    Hey guys, I've got it narrowed down to a couple of choices. Either a Ruger P95 or S&W Sigma New or a used Springfield XD all are between $300-370
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "a used Springfield XD all are between $300-370"

Get the Springfield XD !!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    "a used Springfield XD all are between $300-370"

Get the Springfield XD !!!

The used XD is the older model, not the XDm or XDm 3.8. Is this still your favorite of the three? What about a Taurus 24/7 CA?
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    amtilton17 wrote: »
    The used XD is the older model, not the XDm or XDm 3.8. Is this still your favorite of the three? What about a Taurus 24/7 CA?

The XD is a MUCH better gun than the Taurus 24/7. MUCH. No comparison between the two whatsoever IMO.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I think I am going to go with the Ruger P95 that several here have suggested. While I like the XD (used to own one), I would prefer that while I can only afford one gun right now, that I buy one new and a new XD can cost twice as much as the P95.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    P95 is an excellent choice....

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Done! Bought it today at a local gun shop for $360 and should have it in hand tomorrow.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Excellent! Get yourself some good practice ammo and a box or two of defense ammo to start, as well as a cleaning kit (gotta take care of the tools). Give it a cleaning and, if you like, a light oil before you shoot it. My first handgun was a Ruger P94 (.40s&w), and it was absolutely reliable.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Thanks for the advice ya'll! I'll probably go try it out Friday.
2»