Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Monday Night Football just got shot in the foot....

olesniperolesniper Senior MemberPosts: 3,763 Senior Member
ESPN dumped Hank Williams Jr. from his 20 year MNF gig because of anti-Obama statements he made during a Fox News interview. I'm not a football fan but if I was, I think I'd find something else to do on Monday nights, from now on.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-20115065-10391697.html
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I won't say I'll quit watching football because of it on Monday Nights, but seems an apology would suffice. Looks like a double standard to me. Same thing others did with Imus over a comment about "Nappy Headed HOs......" black female basketball players. He apologized and they accepted it, but the PC Liberal crowd was screaming for his scalp. When a DEM/LIB mouths off, then it's just an easily forgiven slip of the tongue.

Hank Jr surely doesn't need ESPN/MNF or their $$$$$.................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,568 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I won't say I'll quit watching football because of it on Monday Nights, but seems an apology would suffice. Looks like a double standard to me.

I sincerely doubt that Hank Jr. will apologize. Why would he?
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Jr ain't PC ... but who owns ESPN ... ABC ... who owns ABC ... Disney (and I think Hearst has a part too) ... need we go any farther ...

Anyway what about the Dixie Chick and their BS ... What about when MovingOn refered to Bush as Hitler in the 2004 election ... S.O.S. different twist when it is "The Anointed One" is likened to Hitler ... can we say double standard ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that Hank Jr. will apologize. Why would he?

Apology complete.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Hank-Williams-Jr-apologizes-for-Adolf-Hitler-Barack-Obama-analogy-100411/?GT1=39002

Anyway, who cares? Every president I can remember has been called Hitler by one group or another.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,925 Senior Member
    I'll watch Monday night football or not either way.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Arena games got boring when the Romans took the swords away from the gladiators! If they're going to put 22 guys out there trying to maim each other, why not make it interesting and give 'em some weapons? Otherwise, they're just a bunch of overpaid, underworked steroid abusers pushing each other around in their foam rubber suits!
    Jerry
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Apology complete.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Hank-Williams-Jr-apologizes-for-Adolf-Hitler-Barack-Obama-analogy-100411/?GT1=39002

Anyway, who cares? Every president I can remember has been called Hitler by one group or another.

Like I said, never been a football fan. Also never been a Hank fan, can't stand drunks and dopers. But ESPN dumping him for what he said was stupid. Now, he goes and apologizes.........well......you know what Gibbs says about apologizing.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    ESPN has been on my S##T list for years with their Lib crap, I haven,t watched them in years, I live in Florida, its beautiful
    out side, fish are biting, what do I need ESPN for ?
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    ESPN has been on my S##T list for years with their Lib crap, I haven,t watched them in years, I live in Florida, its beautiful
    out side, fish are biting, what do I need ESPN for ?

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! The weather Tuesday was fantastic!!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Arena games got boring when the Romans took the swords away from the gladiators! If they're going to put 22 guys out there trying to maim each other, why not make it interesting and give 'em some weapons? Otherwise, they're just a bunch of overpaid, underworked steroid abusers pushing each other around in their foam rubber suits!
    Jerry

yea I agree with that I quit watching televised sports many years ago to...
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Seems like to me that all the big time neworks are "DUMPING" their spokes persons if they speak out against the Odummy administration. Adios to free speech I guess.... Not to hijack this thread but some of you might remember way back somwhere between Jan 1971 to Oct. 1976 IIRC, when Richard Nixon, was president, and then Gerald Ford, then United States Secretary of Agriculture then Earl Lauer "Rusty" Butz, was canned, for making a comment about our Black African Americans....( And this comment was made in private), they say......while on his way to a California Republican National Convention.... In 1981 Butz was found guilty of tax evasion. He died in 2008.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Adios to free speech I guess....

It may seem that way, but this is not the Gov't restricting speech.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Won't be any loss for me. I only watch one football game; the Superbowl. Well, that's sort of a lie. I don't watch the game; I watch the advertisements.:tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Jerry
    :worthy: Well said Jerry, well said :beer:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,568 Senior Member
    Now this is the response I expected from Hank Jr. when this all started:

“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run," he said in a statement to FoxNews.com.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    My watching a TV game has nothing to do with the lead-in semi-music or whatever, only who's playing. And if I want to listen to Hank or Mozart or Zepplin, I'll do that too.

Hank Jr. really didn't say anything too much out of line, if you listen to what he meant, it had zero to do with Hitler anyway. Just a poor choice of comparison, really. He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler and everyone knows it.

But TV sports, particularly the NFL, is the most politically correct hypersensitive bunch around.

Hank Jr. doesn't care, i think. He's got plenty of gigs and the residuals for his promo spot are probably minimal compared. All Hank Jr. has to worry about is keeping out of the back seat of Cadillacs.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    He should probably be more concerned about avoiding mountain climbing.
    Jerry
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,647 Senior Member
    Meh.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Who cares? I'm just there for the opening kick off.

Steelers.gif
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    He should probably be more concerned about avoiding mountain climbing.
    Jerry

Not only that Teach, but he should probably not be climbing mountains while consuming Jim Beam!!!! Hank Williams Jr. beard and sunglass, are a constant reminder of his mountain climbing days.....
  • ChefChef New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Anybody remember Rev. Jeese Jackson's hiemetown remark.What's up with that!
    :yesno: MARK
    Welcome aboard.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    What happened to "Freedom of Speech"?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    bruchi wrote: »

The government ain't mad at him. His employer well they didn't like it.
    bruchi wrote: »

It's slowly being errored away due to the "Political Correctness" movement in this country.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Who cares? I'm just there for the opening kick off.

Steelers.gif

I didn't know the Steelers were playing on MNF. Did I miss the game?
    samzhere wrote: »
    I didn't know the Steelers were playing on MNF. Did I miss the game?

No, the game is December 19
    Hank is striking back
    can't wait to hear the new song.