Home Main Category Hunting

Any 308 bullet suggestions for Moose?

shawn1172shawn1172 Senior MemberPosts: 588 Senior Member
I have lots of Winchester Super X Power Points in 180 gr. for deer hunting but I'm not so sure they are suitable for moose. They are very effective on deer and group under 1/2 moa in my rifle. I'm wondering if they are too soft for the thicker, tougher hide of moose, and of course the need to penetrate deeper. If you guys think they are up to the mission I'll stick with them, if not i'm open to suggestons. I'd like to stick with 180 gr. Partly because I just have more faith in a heavy bullet and also because with the same weight bullets there's less scope fiddling to adjust for moose and readjust again for deer. Thanks.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Are you stuck with factory ammo or do you reload? I can't remember.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    This would make a great load...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=156779

Black Hills .308 with 180gr Nosler Accubonds. Black Hills is the one maker where it is almost pointless trying to get reloads to get to shoot as good as their stuff.
    -Thomas Paine
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...to be right honest the PP's should be just fine, been a lot of moose killed w/ .30-30's, .303's etc. & lesser bullets...

...if you'ld feel better w/ a controlled expansion bullet (I would), these would be worth a try...

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsm308winchester180grgrandslam.aspx

...thing to remember, your 12" basketball-like kill zone covers 75% of a deer's chest, about the lower 1/2 on an elk, only about the lower third on a moose, dead center on a moose is like punching a couple holes in a 55gal. drum (yes, you can crawl inside 'em), same thing on the neck, you shoot centerline on the neck, you might get lucky & clip the top of a vertebra, spine's in the lower 1/2...
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Jerm, I don't reload. My father does for his 308 but all he's ever loaded is Corelokts. He doesn't branch out or experiment. I may try the Black Hills Accubonds. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tvracinfan, I've never tried Ultra Bonded Corelokts but the regular Corelokts didn't group well in my rifle. Generally about 2". When I can get under 1/2 moa with other ammo that isn't acceptable. Of course the Ultras might be a different ballgame.

Gene, I've never heard of HSM ammo before. Speer is of course a good reputable bullet though. The site doesn't really say anything about the round.

Should I generally be looking for a bonded core bullet? Is a polymer tip of some sort also something to look for? Thanks everyone for your input.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    I think you're just fine with what you are using. Yes, moose are physically larger, and naturally the skin is going to be heavier...but if you stay away from the shoulders, moose really shouldn't be hard to kill. They're just...bigger. I think a good power point in the boiler room will equal dead moose.

However, if you really wanted to experiment...and who doesn't?.....the above suggestions are good ones! If you try reloading Accubonds remember they are fairly long bullets, 180's in the 308 case are going to eat up a LOT of powder space as compared to those power point 180's.

The HSM/Bitterroot Valley stuff gets good reviews, is cheap, and uses a proven bullet. That Grand Slam is right up there with Partitions and A-Frames...that's good company to be in.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

Excellent suggestion, I agree, good choice and good advice indeed. :that:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    I have lots of Winchester Super X Power Points in 180 gr. for deer hunting but I'm not so sure they are suitable for moose. They are very effective on deer and group under 1/2 moa in my rifle. I'm wondering if they are too soft for the thicker, tougher hide of moose, and of course the need to penetrate deeper. If you guys think they are up to the mission I'll stick with them, if not i'm open to suggestons. I'd like to stick with 180 gr. Partly because I just have more faith in a heavy bullet and also because with the same weight bullets there's less scope fiddling to adjust for moose and readjust again for deer. Thanks.

Yeah, seat those .308 bullets in a 30-06 or larger case. A moose can be HUGE and I wouldn't want to be undergunned. Remember, they can be dangerous.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah, seat those .308 bullets in a 30-06 or larger case. A moose can be HUGE and I wouldn't want to be undergunned. Remember, they can be dangerous.

I'm in no way playing down the Eastern Moose he is hunting, but, they are not Yukon's. Eastern and Shiras are quite a bit smaller, and when people think of moose they usually think of the 1500lbs Yukon monsters with racks wide as most are tall, or wider. They can all be dangerous, and large, but a 308 is still plenty. For Yukon moose....I'd be more apt for a larger caliber then a .30 cal of any sort.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Eastern moose are huge animals, but they aren't made of kryptonite. If I ever do moose, it will most likely be a once in a lifetime thing and cost me a fortune so the cost of a special "moose" rifle would just be a small part of it but that is just me. In fact, Applefarmer used to call Mosin Nagants chambered in 7.62x54R "disposable moose rifles" because after shooting a moose up in Canada, they would just chuck the rifle (because they were so cheap) and pack out the animal. That round is on par with the .308 Winchester and seems to be more than adequate.
    -Thomas Paine
    Good point Jerm. There is a BIG difference in someone getting a once in a life time tag, or doing something expensive/guided vs in state that might be hard to draw, but still more readily available.

I look at it the same way as an "elk" rifle for Colorado. For me, its a common every year thing. I could get away with something smaller/more common or what have you (if thats what I wanted), but I totally understand the desire to have something new and more powerful if you are dropping the same price as a new fully loaded Kia to hunt here.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    FWIW, a buddy of mine drew a cow moose tag in Colorado several years ago. He used a 280 Remington loaded with 140 grain bullets. I don't know which bullet, though.

I think he had to shoot the cow he killed twice, but at fairly close range.

This is strictly anecdotal. You mileage may vary.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Guys, I'm not getting a new rifle this hunt, my Icon .308 will do the job just fine. I have plenty of faith in the .308 for moose. I'm just wondering if the Super X Power Points that I already have are suitable or if I should get different ammo. And I won't be loading my own, just looking at factory loads. If you think the Super X's are good to go I'll stick with them.
    As for the moose, it most likely won't be anything too huge. My tag is for a cow only (or a bull with antlers smallers than his ears) so I'm guessing the critter I'll shoot will be in the 500 lb range.
    Thanks again for all your input!
    Young boy kills his first moose, a 63" bull with a 7mm08 and 140gr Partition, one shot and the moose did fall where he was shot. The 308 is enough to do the job.

ad75f0fc.jpg
    Guys, I'm not getting a new rifle this hunt, my Icon .308 will do the job just fine. I have plenty of faith in the .308 for moose. I'm just wondering if the Super X Power Points that I already have are suitable or if I should get different ammo. And I won't be loading my own, just looking at factory loads. If you think the Super X's are good to go I'll stick with them.
    As for the moose, it most likely won't be anything too huge. My tag is for a cow only (or a bull with antlers smallers than his ears) so I'm guessing the critter I'll shoot will be in the 500 lb range.

Try something else besides the power points, they are awesome of deer and average to medium size game, but they do not hold together as well as some to the other choices you have out there for the 308. They will work but why take the chance when the bullet is such a little expense compared to everything else that goes into your hunting trip.
    I have plenty of faith in the .308 for moose. I'm just wondering if the Super X Power Points that I already have are suitable or if I should get different ammo. And I won't be loading my own, just looking at factory loads. If you think the Super X's are good to go I'll stick with them.

I agree that the .308 is fine. I would suggest going with the Black Hills ammo though. It is a bit more expensive than the others but their stuff is well worth it. It is the most accurate factory ammo I have ever shot in .223 and .308 and according to the reviews on Midway, the stuff I showed you is no different. If you look at Nosler's website, that bullet will expand on down to 1800 fps and will stay together at any velocity. The few extra bucks is good insurance when a 500 pound moose in the freezer is at stake, IMO.
    -Thomas Paine
    :that::that: AMEN!!!
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    "Gene, I've never heard of HSM ammo before. Speer is of course a good reputable bullet though. The site doesn't really say anything about the round."

...HSM makes loads for "Best of the West", loads will be near max., but call 'em & ask. Now after careful consideration, & checking on my ballistics program, I've changed my mind...

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsm308winchester165grgrandslam.aspx

...the 165's will give you higher velocity/ more energy w/o sacrificing any bullet performance out to 300yds.

...might wanna grab a couple boxes of these to check your "Zero"...

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsm308winchester165grgrandslam-1.aspx

...I've used the 165gr. GrandSlams on elk & mule deer, the bullet will work fine on moose...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Good point Jerm. There is a BIG difference in someone getting a once in a life time tag, or doing something expensive/guided vs in state that might be hard to draw, but still more readily available.

I look at it the same way as an "elk" rifle for Colorado. For me, its a common every year thing. I could get away with something smaller/more common or what have you (if thats what I wanted), but I totally understand the desire to have something new and more powerful if you are dropping the same price as a new fully loaded Kia to hunt here.

Well you boys from the Northern Climes know infinitely more about such things as moose than I do. I've only seen one moose live in my life in the wild up close (Well I have seen 3 or 4 at a distance in Alberta once), and that was in Alaska where my nephew was driving us around on the base at Fort Richardson and that thing made me think .458 Lott or something. But I'm like this; I will use 22 cf on deer and even hogs. I wouldn't feel so comfy with Elk and as things get bigger so does my imagination. Also, if i go Moose hunting it will definitely be a once in a lifetime experience so I will take some form of large bore magnum and leave the deer rifles at home. With regard to the MN Throwaways remember, Bell used a 6.5 and a 7x57 for pacyderms, but that doesn't make me want to recommend it for them. Anyway, If a .308 will work, a 300 Mag. is better, and a .338 is even much better. OK that's the extent of my wisdom or my best guess on this subject.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Ok, it's settled. Thanks Jerm. I just ordered the Black Hills. Should be sighted in early next week.
    There will definately be a follow up report after the hunt.
    Shawn
    Ok, it's settled. Thanks Jerm. I just ordered the Black Hills. Should be sighted in early next week.
    There will definately be a follow up report after the hunt.
    Shawn

Good choice, let us all know how it does.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I'm late to this party, but just like Jerm said, the .308 is fine. I shot my Shiras with a 30-06 165g factory Core-Lokt ammo. Bullet placement is all that matters. Focus on heart shots. If you hit the lungs high, it can take up to two minutes for a moose to die. He will leave little blood behind because it takes so long for the lungs to fill.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    IIRC, Federal loads the 180 grain Nosler Partition in a factory offering. Put that behind the shoulder and you'll have your mooseburger. Be prepared to rinse and repeat as needed, but it'd be same story with a .375 - - just without as much bone-breaking potential.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee