Cop says milsurp police toys are needed to combat returning vets

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,638 Senior Member
A new justification for "free" military gear. :roll:
“When I first started we really didn’t have the violence that we see today,” said Sgt. Dan Downing of the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department. “The weaponry is totally different now that it was in the beginning of my career, plus, you have a lot of people who are coming out of the military that have the ability and knowledge to build IEDs and to defeat law enforcement techniques.”

http://fox59.com/2014/05/12/armed-for-war-local-police-tote-pentagon-surplus/#ixzz32DXRq2RH
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    Gecko45 is now a deputy sheriff.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Ignorant stuff right there.

How about spending that money on helping vets cope with the return trip home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Ignorant stuff right there.

How about spending that money on helping vets cope with the return trip home.

There are Vets who have issues, to be sure, but I'd bet a WHOLE lot of money that the 'Vets returning and using IEDs and military tactics' is at least as overblown as the 'gang members with AK47s' media hype. Shame on that Sgt. for buying into it.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Agreed!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,202 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You have GOT to be kidding me...

"As he spoke, Downing was perched in the driver’s seat of a $650,000 Mine Resistant Vehicle (MRAP) that once protected soldiers in Afghanistan from mines, rocket-propelled grenades and .50-caliber weapons."

Read more: http://fox59.com/2014/05/12/armed-for-war-local-police-tote-pentagon-surplus/#ixzz32FyMTwZ8

Wambli . . . you obviously missed this part:

"You have a lot of people who are coming out of the military that have the ability and knowledge to build IEDs and to defeat law enforcement techniques.”

The cops NEED MRAPs to fend off all of the IEDs that vets are planting on Main Street.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    PFD wrote: »
    Wambli . . . you obviously missed this part:

"You have a lot of people who are coming out of the military that have the ability and knowledge to build IEDs and to defeat law enforcement techniques.”

The cops NEED MRAPs to fend off all of the IEDs that vets are planting on Main Street.

It's for the kids.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    PFD wrote: »

Absolutely correct. Why, we get this all the time here in Houston, IEDs going off almost hourly. We've got special convoys we use just to get to Kroger.

Right? Duh!

Lemme ask: When has anyone here read ANY news report of ANY vet making an IED here in the States? I watch and read the news fairly closely and I've yet to see a single report.

Of course the guy making the statement is an idiot, but he's only reflecting the liberal Obama regime mantra. We've already seen plenty of similar quotes from regime officials regarding how "dangerous" these vets are. Lots of it tweaked to their getting carry permits and so on.

It all goes to the distrust and genuine hatred of the military these people have.

I'm also thinking that much of this mindset is related to the shameful way the VA has treated some vets, as well.

Grrrrr!!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    On an honest note, I do think that there is the rare need for an armored vehicle in a big city, on a serious Swat raid on some sort of entrenched drug cooking operation. Which means ONE of these things and that's it. And only one for a big city or maybe a rough county where there are lots of meth labs, that sort of thing.

I don't know the law but I kinda think that the local National Guard or whatever might not be able to lend their armored vehicle due to maybe legal issues or posse comitas. I may be wrong there, often am.

But the genuine need for an armored assault vehicle is rare. I think that Houston PD used their about 5-6 years ago, and that was it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    It was about 5 or so years ago that former DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano who let slip administration policy to consider returning vets as potential terrorists.
    horselips wrote: »
    It was about 5 or so years ago that former DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano who let slip administration policy to consider returning vets as potential terrorists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEsI2fTaJo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Their little liberal theories. They wreck everything. This commentary explains it well.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    Grabbed these from the article:

On Sept. 19, a Reimbursement Request from Holder to Purvis included a $550 Unique Heavy Recovery tow bill from the crash location to Phoenix and the tire shop, and $3,117 for installation of four tires and vehicle repair.

"A majority of the expenses are attributed to the incident in which the military vehicle sustained two blown tires in the Phoenix, Arizona area and our subsequent delay in returning to Banning," Holder told Purvis.

In a letter to the City Clerk of Banning dated Oct. 8, a Farmers Insurance Company of Arizona representative advised the City of Banning is expected to pay in full the Ford pickup driver's claim of more than $42,000.

"City agency vehicle first seen after I entered I-10 at mile post/exit 128," Wells wrote in his claim. "City agency vehicle was app. one half mile ahead of me. . . . Vehicle had pass. rear tire blow out, causing vehicle to collide with mine. . . . Vehicle is total loss, towing and storage fees."

A repair estimate for the Ford pickup totaled $22,083. Farmers Insurance declared the damaged vehicle a total loss, valued at $38,750. Final valuation of the claim of $42,173.75 includes sales tax, license transfer fee and deductible, according to Farmers.

Approached in person Thursday after city records about the MRAP and the crash were released to Patch, Holder, one of Banning's two acting police commanders, and Banning city spokesman Bill Manis both declined to comment.

The Banning Police Department remained in possession of its MRAP this week. Retrofitting a surplus armored military vehicle for law enforcement can cost $100,000 or more. Whether Banning police will be allowed to keep their newest one remains to be seen.

Wait...I thought they were free? As to the "$100,000 or more" cost of retrofitting, I'm going to go with "more". Likely a crap-ton more. They went into this acquisition of a 'free' vehicle knowing there would be LARGE expenditures to retrofit it. Not only that, but they ALREADY HAD an armored truck, but it wasn't IED and RPG proof. IOW, this group of yahoos have pissed away or pledge to piss away somewhere in the neighborhood of $200K because their current rig wasn't tacticool enough.

The International MaxxPro MRAP "is built to withstand ballistic arms fire, mine blasts, IEDs, and nuclear, biological and chemical environments that threaten the safety of its crew," according to Navistar Defense.

I'd guess the possibility of them having to deal with an IED is pretty close to zero. The other contingencies? Even less likely.

The maximum road speed for MRAPs similar to the one acquired and crashed by Banning police is listed by multiple online sources at 65 mph. The posted speed limit where the crash occurred was 75 mph, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Two things: I wonder if these idiots were surprised and disappointed that their new tacti-toy could actually be damaged by operating it outside it's designed parameters? I wonder if any of them received a citation for operating this vehicle in an unsafe or reckless manner?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,111 Senior Member
    Progresso-libs are paranoid idiots, along with police agencies that buy into that paranoia. The local jihadist would be more likely to place an IED in downtown, than any returning Vet. Yet they do nothing about the packs of jihadists that have set up their own Private Idaho training camps all over the U.S.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!