Reduce recoil

GUNSMOKEGUNSMOKE New MemberPosts: 6 New Member
What is considered the best recoil butt pad. I have a Ruger M77 .338 cal. and at 69 yrs. old the recoil is affecting my accuracy. Would appreciate help on this subject.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,087 Senior Member
    PACHMAYR - D752 DECELERATOR RECOIL PAD and Mag-na-Port, if you don't want any extra barrel length. .338 can be a beast, and the pad on a Ruger is very inadequate.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I've installed a few of the Kick EZZ pads for people, & they've been pretty happy w/ 'em...

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,140 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    PACHMAYR - D752 DECELERATOR RECOIL PAD and Mag-na-Port, if you don't want any extra barrel length. .338 can be a beast, and the pad on a Ruger is very inadequate.

If Pachmayr products didn't look like they were molded in Bosnian sweatshop I might buy them.

Same price...Limbsaver or Kick-Eez.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    I've got two rifles with Limbsavers on them now, and LOVE'em.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    I suspect that a muzzle brake will be the most effective solution to your problem...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Savage99Savage99 Member Posts: 43 Member
    Does your Ruger M77 have a soft recoil pad?

Here is an easy to use slip on pad thats well made that I use at the range.

Another suggestion might be to load lighter loads for the 338. I too am a senior and I have 'retired' my 375's!
    Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes!
    When we go to the eye doctor they ask us what lens we like! They have us look through lens's and find what we see best with! Do that with your shooting optics.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    Wear a Past recoil pad under your shirt. Following the advice I got from the guys here, I bought one and used it when sighting in my pre 64 Mod 70 in 375 H&H. put 20 rounds down range and the recoil was like that of my .222.

Using a Past recoil pad means that its not firearm specific like a Butt pad and can be used for all rifles. Probably more cost effective in that you don't have to have the gun altered or worked on.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=past+recoil+pad
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    I got a muzzle brake and a Limbsaver on my Ruger 77 in .338 Win mag. The two combined takes it down to 30/06 recoil.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Ditto
    cpj wrote: »
    Limbsaver. You can buy either a fitted model, or a slip on. A muzzle brake however is the most effective solution, but with it comes the expense of having it done, and the added muzzle blast.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    I'd do two things:

Pachmayr Decelerator pad - they make a bunch of different colors and surface finishes

Dead Mule mercury recoil reducer. For sure have one put one in the butt. I think there are also smaller versions that you might be able to have bedded into the forend - which makes a dandy excuse to have the rifle bedded and free-floated anyway.

If that doesn't get it done for you, there's always muzzle breaks. I regard them as the absolute last resort, as I would rather not have the added concussion, dust clouds when prone, pissed off "neighbors" at the range, etc...
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    I have an older model 77 that I had rebarreled to 9.3x62 Mauser and it will pulverize your shoulder shooting my hand loads with 270 grain Speer bullets. I have a P.A.S.T. Recoil pad that I strap on when I go to the range. Taking one or two shots while hunting doesn't present the problem as shooting at the range on a bench. So I don't worry about it then. One or two shots of anything doesn't hurt like shooting even just five rounds at the bench.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GUNSMOKEGUNSMOKE New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Thank you all. Alot of good ideas. I really appreciate this form.
  • ddrillerddriller Member Posts: 77 Member
    Limbsavers are good but plan on replacing about every 10 years-they start to disintegrate-leave black goo on everything they come in contact with, until that time they are great
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    I use a Cauldwell lead sled at the range with my full power 30-06 loads and it makes it like shooting a .223 from the bench. In the field I don't care about recoil for one or two shots. It takes some getting used to it, but it absolutely drops recoil to almost nothing.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    ddriller wrote: »
    Limbsavers are good but plan on replacing about every 10 years-they start to disintegrate-leave black goo on everything they come in contact with, until that time they are great

I've got one on my .45-70 that is at least 11 yrs old... no issues yet. :uhm:

Maybe it's an issue with something that has been left in extreme heat like a vehicle in the summer?

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug