Home Main Category General Firearms

Lever Action - 357 magnum, 38 spcl. and 9mm?

bruchibruchi Senior MemberPosts: 2,581 Senior Member
How hard will be to make this, even to just convert a 357/38 model?

I know, the madness of an American classic firing an European cartridge!

But this would be a great EOTWAWKI gun, all around plinker and tben some!

Add 380 while at it like the Medusa revolver?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Tennmike......make it so.......
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    9mm won't work in a combo lever gun. There's to much difference in chamber dimension between the 38's and the 9mm. It would be possible to rebarrel and chamber a levergun for 9mm, but I don't believe it to be very cost affective.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    9mm won't work in a combo lever gun. There's to much difference in chamber dimension between the 38's and the 9mm. It would be possible to rebarrel and chamber a levergun for 9mm, but I don't believe it to be very cost affective.

The Medusa revolver can fire any of the calibers mentioned including 380 so I gather one barrel will fit all, then the Medusa was designed by a rocket scientist...

No moon clips needed and being a revolver action you can mix calibers.

Could this be worked out somehow on a lever action?

I don't mean a gun where you could mix various calibers at once but one that you could load with whatever you had at hand, all same caliber at once with perhaps some type of adjustable action?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    The trick will be with the follower, I think, and some sort of controlled-round feed bolt/extractor that will firmly grasp the rimless 9mm case. Maybe double-extractors like some .22 rimfire bolt actions? The follower might need a spring-loaded stopper, a la the Medusa, to engage the 9mm case and hold it in place while the extractor(s) grab hold.

Or maybe not.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Ruger has been selling combo blackhawks for a couple of lustroms now, but they use a separate cylinder that is specifically made to fit the 9mm cartridge. There's really no way to make a levergun that will do both cartridges. The 9MM is a tapered cartridge that is bigger at the base and the mouth than the 38 is the entire length of it's body.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    i think if you have enough $$$ you can make just about anything.

imo, i think you're going to have issues with the feeding mechanism. How will it know a 9mm from a 357?

If you look at how it feeds a round from the tube into the chamber you will get an idea of what you're facing.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt