Are you a meat hunter, trophy hunter, or just after whatever's legal?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,659 Senior Member
For the most part, if it's legal, and I have a shot I feel I can make, I take it. I've passed on a few small buck deer over the years, but not very many. I always have dreams of getting a trophy buck or bull, but it rarely works out.

Where do you fit in the scheme of things?

Are you a meat hunter, trophy hunter, or do you just take whatever is legal? 27 votes

Strictly a meat hunter
18% 5 votes
Strictly a trophy hunter
0% 0 votes
Will take whatever is legal
81% 22 votes
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,121 Senior Member
    Early in the season, trophy hunting is in the front of my head, and by late season I am switched to meat. And sometimes they just stand there and look at you and you say what the heck and pull the trigger.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I'm after food....if I am seeing a ton of animals..very rare......I might be fussy...but with an average 10 day season..and odds I will have to work 6 or 7 of those days......I want legal food......Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,950 Senior Member
    I'm a Trophy Meat Hunter.

I mostly hunt for meat and in doing so, want the biggest representative available. I will pass small animals to get a greater return of edible meat.

As for a "trophy"...........I rarely have the opportunity as I mostly cull hunt. But, when I do...........I will go for the most mature of the species. Not necessarily size. Age.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,215 Senior Member
    At this point in my life, meat hunter with an occasional trophy aspect, but always for meat. My coworkers that hunt on the lease with me organize BBQs often, so meat is needed when 50 hungry cops show up.

I've never hunted for anything bigger than deer (well, a bear once in Kentucky), so big time trophy animals have never been on the agenda.

Some day, though. A big ram or elk would be marvelous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    Meat hunter. Like Zee, most of my kills are as a result of culling. If a trophy presented itself on a non cull hunt I would take the shot if it was available, but bone hanging on a wall, while it may look good, doesn't hold that much interest for me.

I hunt because I like being there mainly.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,273 Senior Member
    Another meat hunter....I'm hunting primarily to fill my freezer, and that generally means fat, mature does. On the other hand, if a real toad happens to show up, I'm not likely to pass on him, but he would, in reality, just be a target of opportunity...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    Always been a meat hunter, have taken some game that some would consider a trophy, but never had anything measured or weighed.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,165 Senior Member
    Four hard-hunting seasons and a single hundred-pound 1x2 to show for them. . . I regard people who "pass" on a legal deer with the same suspicion I reserve for meth addicts and Democrats.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,912 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Another meat hunter....I'm hunting primarily to fill my freezer, and that generally means fat, mature does. On the other hand, if a real toad happens to show up, I'm not likely to pass on him, but he would, in reality, just be a target of opportunity...

What he said. Mature does are my target. The last trophy buck I shot tasted like crap. I couldn't hang him long enough to get the rut taste out.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Four hard-hunting seasons and a single hundred-pound 1x2 to show for them. . . I regard people who "pass" on a legal deer with the same suspicion I reserve for meth addicts and Democrats.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::cool2:

I realize that there are some hunters who see far more opportunities that I do, who might have the luxury of passing on a legal deer, or who due to legal constraints are forced to choose very carefully what to shoot at, but I'm not in that boat. If a legal deer appears, it's probably going to get shot.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...I'm perfectly happy w/ a nice little spike or forky buck & a cow elk or two every year, but given the choice & opportunity between "nice & tender" & "lots of horns", the "Horns" are going down, I'll just chew a little longer while admiring 'em...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,393 Senior Member
    For the most part, I am a meat hunter. I could really care less what it looks like on a wall, what really matters is the freezer. The one exception is bear-- when I go this fall, I will admit that I want one with a nice coat for a rug. If I ever get the opportunity to do moose or elk, I am totally cool with anterless, but something trophy worthy would be neat too.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    I shoot targets of opportunity, and eat them. The exceptions are when I have a good place to hunt, with plenty of time to scout the game trails and get a good idea of what to expect. Big bucks thrill me as much as they do anyone else, but I don't mount dead animals on the wall any more, so they have no trophy value to me. I just like to take the older ones because they are smarter and harder to get, and it makes me feel like I've accomplished a little more than just shooting a youngster that hasn't 'wised up,' yet.

I have passed on some pretty decent bucks, though, in recent years because of the Texas 13" rule in the counties I hunt. That rule has actually caused me to shoot nice bucks on a couple of occasions, simply because I could tell at first glance that they were legal bucks. The borderline bucks sometimes drift away before I can make a decision. I have had 8-10 point bucks in my crosshairs for 15-30 minutes without being able to determine if their antlers are 13" between the main beams. These are always young healthy bucks, though, and I don't mind too much when I decide to let them walk away.

Hogs and other varmints...I will shoot any one I see, and may or may not eat them.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I'm not good enough to find trophies, so everything I shoot is meat. However, tenderloin is not what gets me out of bed at ungodly hours.

I'll check back in when I finally shoot something with antlers.
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    I hunt for the meat and the experience. If a "trophy" sized animal is what presents the first good shot, that's what fills my tag. But I also take into consideration the circumstances, and some times a spike or similar, and sometimes even an antlerless, is a bonafide trophy.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I will edit ......IF I ever draw a Lope tag... I will take whatever time off I need and hunt all day everyday for a Trophy.......because it will be a once in a lifetimes hunt here......same with Sheep and Bison..............Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Back when I worked cattle ranches I used to hunt quite a bit ...it was all for the meat locker. Never was a trophy hunter. These days I just fish and go after dove once a year.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,964 Senior Member
    I'm in the "All of the Above" group. I would love to get another nice deer with a big rack in my life time and if I'm offered the opportunity for elk or moose and I have the money to do it, I will. I will always try to shoot a nice trophy at least once a season. And if it doesn't get hung on the wall it's because of the ridiculous taxidermist costs.

Also, anything I kill I want to eat. I don't like to waste an animal. Some people shoot hogs and leave them lay because they're a pest. They may be a pest, but they are a really fine eating pest. I think it's a sin to shoot one and leave it lie.

And lastly, I am a legal eagle. I don't shoot anything illegally. I don't always agreee with Parks and Wildlife here, but I don't play God and do as I please. You gotta draw the line somewhere. I believe in ethical hunting. It also makes our case for hunting more justifiable against the bunny huggers.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    meat........cause you can't eat antlers.....and those antlers are a PITA when trying to move 600 lbs of carcass soooooooo......
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,102 Senior Member
    Depends...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,132 Senior Member
    I've killed 3 deer that I would consider "trophy class", in each case, they were the first legal deer I saw that day.

Where I hunt, the game regs are so liberal that the only thing I CAN'T legally shoot is spotted fawns, so I use the basic mantra, "If it's BROWN, it's DOWN"

As others have already said, if it's a once in a lifetime kind of hunt, that mantra is subject to change, but honestly, a bunch of mounted heads on the wall aren't a priority to me.
    The 8pt I have on the wall is important to me mainly because it's the first buck I ever killed.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,233 Senior Member
    I hunt for meat. During the muzzleloader season I try to get a couple of young does or a young doe and young buck. During centerfire gun(bucks only) season if a big buck shows up I'll shoot it knowing that everything but the backstraps will end up as hamburger, but I like the hamburger.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Mostly meat, but will definitely take a trophy when it's handed to me by circumstance. On more rare/special hunts, I do try to get the highest quality animal I can with the knowledge that I may eat the tag. My upcoming pronghorn hunt is a good example of one where I willing to pass on some animals to get the one I'm after.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I take what is legal and try for mature for the area...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,659 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Depends. If I know there is a monster lurking about, I may pass on smaller critters. Of course, the further into the season it gets, the less likely Jr will get a pass. We like jerky. And I'll shoot whatever to get it.

For bow hunting, whatever gives me a chance will get an arrow flung in its general direction. Be it a wall hanger, doe, or fawn with spots.

To those who say "you should let those little bucks walk so they can grow up!", go piss up a rope. Unless you buy my tag, gun, ammo, and all other assorted items that go with it, I'll shoot whatever I damn well please as long as it's legal to do so.

Don't hold back, Chris. Tell how you really feel.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,825 Senior Member
    I would pass up several 300 lb boars for a 175 lb sow any day. I don't want a boar over 100 lbs, and I have no interest in a pig head sticking out of my wall, big teeth, or not. I might add I would shoot a 300 lb boar any day, just to cull them, but I don't want to pay for it by ending my hunt.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,002 Senior Member
    I'm out of meat
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Meat and Trophy hunter

IMG_1439_zpsefa6a18c.jpg
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Depends, really. I do both, and have regretted passing a few "meat" animals before but only for a second. Last year I was after a trophy deer (got em, in my books it was a trophy at least) and meat elk with the chance of a trophy (didn't get em). For the most part elk hunting is meat hunting, but this year....its horns or bust until the last day or two of the season. I think I drew an either sex tag, and I'm going during the rut for a reason. Never shot a bull, sure hope to this year. Again, "trophy" is in the eye of beer holder, but I'm going to work my butt off for something impressive.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,739 Senior Member
    Where I hunt, the deer are plentiful and the limits are generous. I can only take three bucks in about three and a half months but I can take two does a day during that period. I generally don't take a buck unless I plan to mount it and I try to take six does a season for meat. Hogs are pretty easy to come by also but I generally try to take smaller ones at 50# or less so I guess I'm a meat hunter. I do have quite a few heads on the wall but never really ventured out expressly looking for heads.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me