Carmen Mountain Whitetails

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,560 Senior Member
Who's heard of 'em?

They're a whitetail sub-species that inhabit the Big Bend region of west Texas and northern Mexico. They can be found in the Big Bend National Park, the Carmen Mountains (hence the name), and a couple of other mountain ranges northwest of there, including the Chinati Mountains. Here's some web pages with additional info.

http://www.westernwhitetail.com/whitetail/carmen-mountain-whitetail/

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/science/15/chap3.htm

http://acf-outfitters.com/carmen_deer.htm

http://lower48plus.com/species-notes/deer-of-north-america/untitled-12.html

Boone and Crockett does not recognize this animal as a separate sub-species for record book entries, but Safari Club International does.

The reason this interests me is that my father killed one in 1971. We were hunting in Pinto Canyon, which is in the Chinati Mountains of west Texas. It is located in Presidio county between Marfa and the Texas-Mexico border.

Here is a picture of the deer's antlers. It is the set in the lower right. The antlers in the upper left are from a Colorado mulie, which is the last deer my dad killed. The mulie has a 22 inch spread, and was measured, by me, at about 150 inches. As you can see, the Carmen Mountain deer is much smaller. However, note that the circumference of the antlers is not that much different.

DSC01407_zps2863d9ba.jpg

The second picture is just the antlers of the Carmen Mountain deer.

DSC01410_zps529aaa88.jpg

I wish that B&C would recognize them, and believe that there's as good a reason for doing so as for recognizing the Coues deer.

Any way, just thought that others might find this interesting.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    You were correct. I find this interesting. That Mulie is a dandy any hunter would be proud of. On the whitetail rack, Is that a nice specimen of the type?
    In any event, I envy you your priceless momentos.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    You were correct. I find this interesting. That Mulie is a dandy any hunter would be proud of. On the whitetail rack, Is that a nice specimen of the type?
    In any event, I envy you your priceless momentos.

Thanks.

I wasn't hunting with my dad when he got the mulie, but I heard all about it. :-)

From what I can tell on the Carmen deer, it's a very respectable specimen. I think it was a better deer, species wise, than the mulie.
    Jerry

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    These deer show up in the hunting press from time to time.

Much as the Couse (sp) deer of AZ, NM, & nothern Mexico I understand them to be quite elusive. From what I have been told more are taken as a target of opportunity rather than a specific subject.

They occupy my favorite region of the republic.

Are you planning a hunt in the future?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    These deer show up in the hunting press from time to time.

Much as the Couse (sp) deer of AZ, NM, & nothern Mexico I understand them to be quite elusive. From what I have been told more are taken as a target of opportunity rather than a specific subject.

They occupy my favorite region of the republic.

Are you planning a hunt in the future?

I wish. Unfortunately, the areas where these deer are found are usually leased out to outfitters who charge a lot for their hunts. I've never been able to justify to myself spending that kind of money on a hunt, and am not sure I would enjoy it if I did.

If you ever hunt one, though, I'd like to hear about it. The country where they live is rugged and dry, but has its own unique beauty.
    Jerry