Guided hunts?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,656 Senior Member
I've never been on a guided hunt, and really never have had the desire to go on one. I realize that the chances of taking an animal are much greater on a guided hunt than on a DIY hunt, but I have never been able to justify the expense of one. I also don't know that I would appreciate taking a game animal that someone put me on as much as I would finding one for myself.

What say you?

Guided hunts, yea or nay? 36 votes

Been there, done that, would do it again in a heart beat
22% 8 votes
Been there, done that, don't care to do it again.
5% 2 votes
Never have, but would like to
8% 3 votes
Have no desire to go on one
16% 6 votes
Would do it under the right circumstances
47% 17 votes
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,113 Senior Member
    I don't think you would need one on one attention, there are guides that will put you in a spot and let you do your thing while they run camp, leaves you more time to hunt. Mike would appreciate the help hauling elk back to the truck too.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,908 Senior Member
    I've done a semi-guided hunt for hogs in California. The guide drove us out to an area on a private ranch, pointed out where the water, bedding areas, and food sources were, and left us to hunt on our own. He returned about sundown and loaded up the hogs and drove us back to the sleeping quarters.

I found the animal myself, but didn't have to walk 5 miles in and drag the animal 5 miles out.

I enjoyed that hunt (all the fun without the work), but that was the only time I've ever hired a guide.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    I voted that I have done it and would do it again, but I need to caveat that: I would do it again in a heartbeat for a hunt that requires it. In South Africa, there is no choice but to be guided. The way I understand it, it's the same going for brown bear in Alaska. Want to hunt wilderness areas in many parts if the American West? Guides are required.

So, if I have a desire to hunt it and it requires a guide, yes, I'll pay. If I have the means to scout it and make it happen DIY, I will always prefer to do it that way. The one exception might be a once-in-lifetime sheep hunt in an area that I have no hope to scout pre-hunt. Depending on how old and physically able I am when I get it, there may be a hard choice between hiring a guide to minimize the physical requirements and eating a tag I can never get again. That decision will be made if and when the time comes. It could be 25 years or more from today before I have to make that call.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,125 Senior Member
    I guess i could say I've done 2 "guided" hunts, both in Tx.

One I took 3 axis deer off a friends goat farm in 2001, (2 were for his freezer) so he was my "guide"

The other, TimC was my guide on my unsuccessful hog hunt on his lease back in 2008.

edited to add: Since I didn't pay to hunt (other than hunting license, travel etc) I voted Would do it under the right circumstances
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,850 Senior Member
    I've done a guided doe cull on the 777 ranch in Hondo, TX. It was a blast, and I would have no problem doing a real guided hunt.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I don't think you would need one on one attention, there are guides that will put you in a spot and let you do your thing while they run camp, leaves you more time to hunt. Mike would appreciate the help hauling elk back to the truck too.

Well Chiro you've been on a "guided hunt" and you are gearing up to do another, hope you voted first choice :jester:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    cpj wrote: »
    Nope. I wouldn't. If I won the lottery, maybe. I'm an independent (and cheap) son of a that way.
    Now meeting up with a friend out of state? Sure.
    And if I did hire a guide, I'd like it to be "head this way, should be critters there. I'll have lunch ready at 12:00, see you then. "

If only you didn't think applying for a lottery was such a PITA ;)
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I did one, and besides the situations Six mentioned that absolutely REQUIRE a guide...not sure I'll do it again. It was a very strange hunt, basically just tagging along and being told which one to shoot at, when to shoot, so on and so forth. I'd like to try it again possibly, but I'm not in any rush. At the same time, it put me on a guaranteed tag on a private ranch where there was 1 other hunter on 25k acres.

Conversely, I had a heckuva time playing "guide" for forum members, happy to do it again this year and I hope I continue to keep doing so. Tell you what, I took WAY more satisfaction taking some friends scouting, calling an area "elk-y", going back the next day and saying we might see animals at any second, and having JB wear his scope scar of pride seconds later after shooting his first bull.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I've done a semi-guided hunt for hogs in California. The guide drove us out to an area on a private ranch, pointed out where the water, bedding areas, and food sources were, and left us to hunt on our own. He returned about sundown and loaded up the hogs and drove us back to the sleeping quarters.

I found the animal myself, but didn't have to walk 5 miles in and drag the animal 5 miles out.

I enjoyed that hunt (all the fun without the work), but that was the only time I've ever hired a guide.

:up: I could see going on a (semi-guided) hunt like that. I can definitely see the attraction in paying for the opportunity to hunt land that has plenty of critters on it, versus some heavily hunted (or poached) land that is open to the public. What holds no attraction for me is having a guide walk me to a spot where game is baited, and telling me what to shoot. That's not hunting.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,113 Senior Member
    Well Chiro you've been on a "guided hunt" and you are gearing up to do another, hope you voted first choice :jester:

Didn't want to wear out my welcome, I chose the last one in the list, I look forward to hauling out your 6X6.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,960 Senior Member
    I would do it if I could afford it at the time. Here's why. It's like having a fishing guide. I would love to hire a fishing guide, a reputable one that is known for his success, even here in the local bays, because you learn going with an experienced guide. I don't pretend to know as much as a professional. I know guys that have used fishing guides about four or five times down here. They learned a lot with the guides and they turn out to be better fishermen on their own. I had a cousin that was a lawyer that would come down from Austin and hire a guide to fish in the bays. After a few times of this, he was a better bay fisherman than many people I know that have been fishing the bays here for 20-30 years. That's the way I look at hunting too. And also, if i was hunting something i'd never hunted before, AND I could afford it, I'd hire a guide.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    Conversely, I had a heckuva time playing "guide" for forum members, happy to do it again this year and I hope I continue to keep doing so. Tell you what, I took WAY more satisfaction taking some friends scouting, calling an area "elk-y", going back the next day and saying we might see animals at any second, and having JB wear his scope scar of pride seconds later after shooting his first bull.

I know what you mean, Dan. So far, I've been responsible for three forum members (including you) getting their first antelope, and one getting his first and only elk.
    Jerry

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,140 Senior Member
    I started out unguided , but when going to a strange area I found, especially on an Elk hunt, that you will be mostly spinning your wheels. You have not been able to scout the area, and your access is limited to as far as you care to hike in and if lucky enough, have to drag one out!! Then there's camp chores when you want to be sleeping. IF you live there, you have the entire hunting season to worry about bagging your trophy, not so if you have to drive across four+ states and only have a week when you get there. A guided hunt is not a guarantee you will be successful. I only scored an Elk on 1 out of five guided hunts, and my hunting partner scored once, so that's pretty good odds. One guide per two hunters is probably the best ratio, and don't sign up for a hunting camp that has 30-40 hunters at one time, after the first week all the game is run out of the territory, from all the hunting pressure!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I've done a guided doe cull on the 777 ranch in Hondo, TX. It was a blast, and I would have no problem doing a real guided hunt.

I've heard of the 777 ranch. From what I know about it, it has some great, but very expensive, hunts available.

Did you feel that the experience was worth the cost? How long did the hunt last, and how many does were you allowed to cull?
    Jerry

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I hunted CO for many years, unguided. In '91 I killed my only Mulie. Never hunted deer again after that. I've killed Elk. If I ever get to hunt Alaska, you can bet your sweet bippy it'll be a guided hunt. I believe Alaska requires non-residents to hire a guide. Perhaps some other states as well. I dunno. I won a trout fishing tournament once. But I hired trout fishing guides a few times after that and once a striper guide as well. it's great, they have the boat and all the gear. You just show up and fish.
    I used to entertain clients a lot and I put on an annual duck hunt that was a big hit. I hired guides for that. They had honey holes staked out on public land and had leased blinds on private land. Some of those leases were 20K per season.
    Certainly in Africa a PH would be used.
    I've introduced a lot of people to hunting so I guess in a sense I've done some guiding of my own.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,850 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I've heard of the 777 ranch. From what I know about it, it has some great, but very expensive, hunts available.

Did you feel that the experience was worth the cost? How long did the hunt last, and how many does were you allowed to cull?

The 777 is an amazing ranch. And yes, they have some VERY expensive hunts. Fortunately for me, my best friend was a guide there for several years, and I got to do that hunt for free. I was able to shoot 3 BIG does (including my first muzzle loader harvest), Got to keep all 3 hides, and the meat from one deer. The meat from the other two went to the ranch for feeding the help and guides. I did not get the full experience, since the chef prepared meals and very nice rooms are reserved for people that are not just tagging along with a buddy. We were able to get the 3 does in just a few hours.

By the way, if you want to have a hard hunt- piss off your guide. My buddy has some great stories to tell about dragging some hung over yankee through the same patch of scrub oak and cactus several times, and made him think one 10 acre sector was the size of Rhode Island.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,960 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

By the way, if you want to have a hard hunt- piss off your guide. My buddy has some great stories to tell about dragging some hung over yankee through the same patch of scrub oak and cactus several times, and made him think one 10 acre sector was the size of Rhode Island.

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    I voted no before my little brain digested the last option.

I guess it would still be fun, just not a 'perfect' hunting experience...as long as I got to keep the meat.
  • artart New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    Went on a black bear hunt in canada..guide required...killed a very large bear...planning moose in the next couple years...