Home Main Category General Firearms

Questions on a S&W 15-3

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
The owner asked me to clean it. He says it's nickel and the barrel and most of the cylinder looks it, but everything behind the recoil shield looks like stainless. Could be the nickel has just worn off?

It's got some pitting damage. Basically just going to disassemble and oil/grease.

Question on the stocks. What would be best to put on them to just gloss em up a bit? They were filthy and need something. Wax or some sort of oil/varnish?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    The owner asked me to clean it. He says it's nickel and the barrel and most of the cylinder looks it, but everything behind the recoil shield looks like stainless. Could be the nickel has just worn off?

It's got some pitting damage. Basically just going to disassemble and oil/grease.

Question on the stocks. What would be best to put on them to just gloss em up a bit? They were filthy and need something. Wax or some sort of oil/varnish?

True Oil is your friend.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Don't use a copper solvent.......CLP will do..........for the stocks........hot water and Dawn soap..fast wash and dry well.............if you are not going to refinish.....do you have a bit of Old English?????????? Good stuff for a fast job......Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    A few pictures would really help in analyzing the nickel finish and what method to use on the stocks.
    Nickel can quite often be brought back after it has dulled if that is the case.
    The stocks I have quite a bit of experience with from just cleaning waxing to total refinishing .
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,626 Senior Member
    It's not stainless if the frame is marked 15-2. Maybe it's down to bare metal. A Nickel 15 is a rare thing; I've never seen one and didn't even know they made them. It would be worth IMO sending to S&W for re-plating if the pits can be scrubbed out.

I think the stainless one is a Model 67, which I bought way back in 1971 or so for $125 new.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    A little note on the Model 15s in the Standard Catalog of S&W, mentions that, 20 Model 15s were made of stainless steel as experimental products to show the durability of stainless steel handguns in the early part of 1960. Whereabouts unknown.
    If yours is a 15-3 though, it was made 1967 - 1976 approx.