Home Main Category General Firearms

Winchester white box .222 ammo

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,624 Senior Member
It doesn't work in my 788. It shot about an inch or more, and then threw out a round about two inches low. I figure it was the ammo, since the windage was perfect.

The bad news is I have a lot of this stuff I bought CHEAP. I also have some Lapua .222 brass and 53 gr. Sierra Match Kings, and loaded up some yesterday. I suppose the .222 factory ammo I have will furnish acceptable brass. The Super X would be good enough for wasting ammo at large targets, ground hogs, etc. I've got maybe 300 rounds of it which I bought for $4 a box.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Hell, good luck finding ANY "new" or once fired 222 brass for $0.20/ea much less loaded ammo.

So it's not as accurate as your handloads, still good plinking ammo and a heck of a price, just for the brass.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    True. But I am not a plinker by nature. Those bad rounds tend to destroy my self confidence, even when I know everything else is working just fine. Every round I send down range I regret, money wise. However, I am occasionally a "casual" shooter. And for casual shooting, cheap ammo is tops.

I really like the .222, partially because it's a "cool" round. Not popular any more. It's kinda cute.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I really like the .222, partially because it's a "cool" round. Not popular any more. It's kinda cute.

Orchidman 'Likes' this..........................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Pull the bullets dump the powder and use the primed cases to load something your rifle might like a little better.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Orchidman 'Likes' this..........................

Speaking in the 3rd person these days are we?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    Pull the bullets dump the powder and use the primed cases to load something your rifle might like a little better.

This is a good idea, especially if he uses one of those inertia, hammer type bullet pullers. If he were to count how many strikes each one takes and some take just a few while others take 20 or more, there's his accuracy problem. So might as well pull them all.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    True. But I am not a plinker by nature. Those bad rounds tend to destroy my self confidence, even when I know everything else is working just fine. Every round I send down range I regret, money wise. However, I am occasionally a "casual" shooter. And for casual shooting, cheap ammo is tops.

I'm not a plinker by nature either but i will shoot anything that's cheap or free. Just shoot it at paper. It's still practicem, which never hurts even though the groups may be a little bigger. Hell I've got an almost new .223 Stevens that won't shoot as good as what you said. Shoot the ammo up and reload it. If you find you just get tired of shooting it, do as suggested and pull the bullets and work up your own load. I don't see much down side here no matter which way you go.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Practice shooting off-hand with it. I'm always reluctant to use my good stuff that way.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    I never shoot off-hand. I'm a bench rat. Looks like I'm stuck with a bunch of ammo I will have to shoot up and swallow my pride when a hole in the target appears way out of line. I always question whether the round was me, the rifle, or the ammo.
    Speaking in the 3rd person these days are we?

Nah.............my niece told me how to express my approval the way it should be expressed ( according to the rulez of the interwebs), and according to her, if I did it any other way, I wouldn't be taken seriously..........
    orchidman wrote: »
    Nah.............my niece told me how to express my approval the way it should be expressed ( according to the rulez of the interwebs), and according to her, if I did it any other way, I wouldn't be taken seriously..........

Razorbacker shall take this post under advisement.
    Razorbacker shall take this post under advisement.

I will get my people to call your people to discuss the situation................
    I never shoot off-hand. I'm a bench rat. Looks like I'm stuck with a bunch of ammo I will have to shoot up and swallow my pride when a hole in the target appears way out of line. I always question whether the round was me, the rifle, or the ammo.

You could always use smaller targets and bring them closer.....................At 20yds I reckon all the holes will be touching.