Thermacell range report....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,213 Senior Member
...From the road....woke up this morning and saw a mosquito out on the picnic table with his sticker buried in a bottle of 100% DEET. He was looking pretty satisfied until I winged him with the .38. Kelli finally put him down with a couple of 230 grain FMJs. At this point I began to reconsider my insect repellent options.

Never had much use for gimmicks and high tech geegaws...but the store was selling those Thermacells for $20.00 apiece, so I bought a couple to hang on the camp chairs....the doggone things work!....a little pricey for the refills, but a few bucks to keep the bloodsuckers away is a small price to pay...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,780 Senior Member
    It is one of my most valuable pieces of kit. It's like Moses parting the Red Sea.

If conditions are favorable (no/little wind).............it's a miracle before your eyes.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,197 Senior Member
    Wildlife officers I know swear by them for stakeouts and other duties. As Zee said, they work best with no wind.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,034 Senior Member
    They work quite well at dusk in MN, a true test.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,190 Senior Member
    Shark fishing in the Caloosahatchee River mouth at Ft. Myers, FL at night is bad because of the mosquitoes. My nephew lit a couple of Thermacells and put them on the front of the boat console and with an offshore breeze blowing. We stood behind them downwind and the skeeters left us alone. We could see them flying around trying to get in, but the Thermacells kept them away. Really handy hunting early fall from a tree stand, too.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,780 Senior Member
    Yes, when there is a breeze.......I place it upwind of me and allow the vapors to drift over my position. As long as it's just a slight breeze, the effects are still satisfactory. A stiff wind blows it away too quickly.

From lite to vanquish...........takes about 5-8 minutes........then.........tranquility.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 728 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    They work quite well at dusk in MN, a true test.

We dont have any down here Scott!!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,509 Senior Member
    I'll have find some to see if they work here.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    I don't hunt or fish without it in warm weather...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,034 Senior Member
    We dont have any down here Scott!!

You just jinxed yourself.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,709 Senior Member
    I discovered them a couple of years ago and wouldn't hunt without one now. Ted Nugent has been pushing them hard for quite a few years and I thought they would just be another gimmick. One of the guys that I hunt with swore by them and told me if I wasn't happy with it, he would buy it from me. I would never give that puppy up now and I plan to buy a few more for the patio. I thought the odor even though it's slight, would be noticed by game but in the few years that I've used it I have never noticed game react to it but mosquitoe's sure do. With little or no wind, I'm sure you could archery hunt naked and not have to worry about bug bites.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,190 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I discovered them a couple of years ago and wouldn't hunt without one now. Ted Nugent has been pushing them hard for quite a few years and I thought they would just be another gimmick. One of the guys that I hunt with swore by them and told me if I wasn't happy with it, he would buy it from me. I would never give that puppy up now and I plan to buy a few more for the patio. I thought the odor even though it's slight, would be noticed by game but in the few years that I've used it I have never noticed game react to it but mosquitoe's sure do. With little or no wind, I'm sure you could archery hunt naked and not have to worry about bug bites.

Don't be giving CPJ any ideas! :silly:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.