First successful stalk (hogs).

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,952 Senior Member
Last weekend a buddy (Hondo) and I went to our hunting lease, mostly just to check up on the trailer & tent, but also to try to bag a hog while we were up there.

Got up there about 3pm Friday afternoon, so after looking around a bit and messing with the tent & trailer, I dropped my friend off to go to his blind where the hogs had been seen earlier in the week by another member, then drove around the various roads looking for tracks. I didn't see too many tracks on the north side of the lease, so I came back down near where my friend was, and sighted 3 deer in the road just before stopping my truck to walk back into the swamps.

I put on my rubber boots, grabbed my old Ruger .44 Carbine, my thermocell (the mosquitos were horrible), and headed down the side road which quickly turned into a swamp. The road was almost COMPLETELY under water, since there was ~4" of rain that had dropped during the previous two days.

Since I figured the hogs were somewhere down in the swamp, I was walking VERY VERY slow. Literally just a step at a time, trying very hard not to make any noise at all. It took me about 30 minutes to walk the first couple hundred yards, but as I rounded a corner in the (submerged) road, I heard what I first thought was a deer blowing at me. I froze in place and listened, and again heard a blowing noise a moment later.... then after a few seconds, some rustling around in the brush off to my left about 20-25 yds away. At this point I finally started getting excited. Deer do NOT "rustle around in the brush", so I was pretty sure there were hogs there, but I was so close, I was worried they'd easily scent me or hear me walking through the water.

There was so much brush between me and whatever was making noise, that I couldn't see anything except the brush, so I VERY slowly worked my way forward another few steps down the road until I found a small partial break at eye-level in the brush. If I stood on my tiptoes I could *JUST* make out the back of a decent sized hog (I guesstimated 80+ lbs), but nothing else. His head was behind a tree, and I couldn't aim steadily on my tiptoes, so after listening for another minute or so, I decided to take the shot through the brush rather than try to sneak any closer and risk spooking him and/or any others. I could just manage to see his back through the brush, so I estimated ~8-10" lower and took my first shot.

Immediately after the shot, there was a huge commotion behind the brush, and then a hog (looked like the same one that I shot) ran out of the brush to my left ~20 yds away. I started to aim at him when another hog (which ALSO looked like the same one I shot) burst out of the brush IMMEDIATELY in front of me (8 yds away?) and ran straight at me. I immediately swung around and fired a double tap at him as he charged straight at me, which convinced him to go to my left (his right) to get around me, and I shot him twice more as he ran past. At this very moment (out of ammo since my little Ruger only holds 5 rounds) ANOTHER hog that looked just like the first one ran out of the brush to my right and crossed the road.

Judging from the sounds, it *sounded* like there was another hog or two that went the other way further into the swamp away from me besides the 3 that I saw, and the one that I shot only went another 25-30 yds behind me and dropped back in the swamp behind me.

Since I couldn't say for sure if the one I shot first was the same one I fired on afterwards, I waited a few minutes, then started scouring the swamp starting back where I first saw them, looking for signs of blood, but there was too much water to find any. Although I spent nearly a half hour back there, I found no sign of any hogs injured or otherwise in that area, so I went the other way and retrieved the one I had dropped in the swamp behind the road. It sure was a lot easier to drag him out with everything wet, than it was the last time I had to drag one out over dry ground.

Shortly after that my friend showed up, and we both searched thoroughly looking for another injured/dead hog, but there was no sign of one, so we got the truck and loaded up my hog and took him back to camp and dressed him out (110 lbs on the camp scale). There were 4 clear entry/exit wounds, one of which *looked* like what was probably my first shot judging from the angle/location, but the next day at home cleaning the meat before freezing some of it, I found yet another entry/exit hole in one ham that I had not seen during dressing him out, so it turns out I hit him with all 5 shots. Sadly, the ribs were not worth saving. :tooth: My buddy says I am trigger happy, and that the last 4 shots came over about a two second period. LOL It sure was exciting having a 110 lb hog burst out of the brush and run right at me for a second or so. :jester:

I'll post a pic of the hog if I can get it to post from my phone after I get home tonight.

Luis
Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Congrats... all I have to say is, head shot. They make great sausage.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,936 Senior Member
    Nice shooting under stress, please post up pics for the post mortum, what bullets were you using?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    BigDanS, I couldn't even SEE his head. It was (mostly) behind a tree as WELL as a bunch of bushes.

Chiro, I was using Hornady LeveRevolution 225 grain FTX's. They shoot just slightly better than WWB 240 grain JSP's out of my old Ruger. My Marlin 1894 prefers the WWB stuff.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jeeper wrote: »
    BigDanS, I couldn't even SEE his head. It was (mostly) behind a tree as WELL as a bunch of bushes.

Chiro, I was using Hornady LeveRevolution 225 grain FTX's. They shoot just slightly better than WWB 240 grain JSP's out of my old Ruger. My Marlin 1894 prefers the WWB stuff.

Luis

Well then, I would definitely like to see some pictures, entrance and exit. Any bullets get recovered??
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Negative. All clean pass throughs. The longest traverse was through the mid ribcage at a downward diagonal that exited in front of the right rear leg. Another two went through both ribcages.

Unfortunately the only photo's I took were of the hog hanging at camp, where only two of the shots are clearly visible. Maybe if you enlarged it you could see the ones through one of the hams, and the forward leg. Maybe.

Expansion on one of the pass throughs on the ribcage appeared to have been only average for a .44 slug from what I saw... maybe expanding to ~.6something.... but that's nothing more than a guess from the one clear exit wound out the right ribs. The second one through the ribs DESTROYED the back ribs on exit. No idea what size it was, but it was large. The ones that hit the rear ham really tore it up. Great expansion there. There were two holes I could push my thumb through where the two rounds went through that piece of meat.

Luis
    The ONLY .44 mag bullet I've EVER recovered was on a 201 lb hog where I shot through one shoulder, and it would have exited the 2nd shoulder, but it got caught by the outer skin & cartilage layer on the off-side. That was using WWB 240 grain JSP's. That hog had a cartilage shield around his front that you would not believe. I swear that stuff was at least 1/2" thick and hard as a rock.

Luis
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Get Tapatalk. You can attach pics straight through the app. Best forum app ever.

And nice hunt! I'll be back out as soon as I get this TFCC tear healed up.

Oh and Ruger 44 carbine....you suck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,620 Senior Member
    Good deal!

You trying to give CPJ a run for the title?!

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Good deal!

You trying to give CPJ a run for the title?!

:-)

SNAP!!!

Sounds like you shot well under the effects of the adrenaline rush.....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Get Tapatalk. You can attach pics straight through the app. Best forum app ever.

And nice hunt! I'll be back out as soon as I get this TFCC tear healed up.

Oh and Ruger 44 carbine....you suck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm the original owner... got it as a present back in '82. It's still in pretty good condition considering all the hunting it's seen.

Luis
    Negative. All clean pass throughs. The longest traverse was through the mid ribcage at a downward diagonal that exited in front of the right rear leg. Another two went through both ribcages.

Unfortunately the only photo's I took were of the hog hanging at camp, where only two of the shots are clearly visible. Maybe if you enlarged it you could see the ones through one of the hams, and the forward leg. Maybe.

Expansion on one of the pass throughs on the ribcage appeared to have been only average for a .44 slug from what I saw... maybe expanding to ~.6something.... but that's nothing more than a guess from the one clear exit wound out the right ribs. The second one through the ribs DESTROYED the back ribs on exit. No idea what size it was, but it was large. The ones that hit the rear ham really tore it up. Great expansion there. There were two holes I could push my thumb through where the two rounds went through that piece of meat.

Luis

Basically what I want in a hunting round, a complete pass through with some expansion.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Basically what I want in a hunting round, a complete pass through with some expansion.

I have consistently gotten this from WWB JSP's and Hornady LeveRevolution 225 grain FTX's. These are the ONLY two I use in .44 mag.

In .45 Colt, I'm using 300 grain XTP's and with some luck will get to try them out on some game later this year.

In .45-70, I've only used Hornady LeveRevolution 325 grain FTX's, but they're so far overmatched for anything we shoot down here, there's NO question about it's performance. Complete pass through on EVERYTHING.

In .308, I get best accuracy from Hornady (I know... I'm starting to sound like a Hornady advertisement) 150 Grain SST's (not superformance), and I have yet to recover any of those, although it seems like they must expand a LOT, because the damage near wherever they hit is tremendous. Have to pick your shots with those if you want to avoid ruining a bunch of meat.

Luis
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    Sounds like great fun. That is the scenario I was thinking about when I purchased the G20 - I didn't want a situation where hogs were dashing past me (or at me) and I run out of anything to shoot at them. Hasn't happened yet, but creeping into the wind in a swampy area makes it likely to. :up:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Sounds like great fun. That is the scenario I was thinking about when I purchased the G20 - I didn't want a situation where hogs were dashing past me (or at me) and I run out of anything to shoot at them. Hasn't happened yet, but creeping into the wind in a swampy area makes it likely to. :up:

I walk into the pig hunting areas with my rifle slung over my back, my g20 loaded with silver tips in my right at low ready and my light in my left hand.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member

Jeeper, sounds like you just had as much fun as you can possibly have on this planet with your clothes on. I don't have the legs that I trust to go into the brush and stalk hogs like that. Also, due to the population of poisonous reptiles in this area, walking in brushy areas here doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. Therefore i hunt hogs from a blind or from a sitting position. This usually requires bating them which I realize isn't legal in all areas. Of course that in itself due to the over population of Feral hogs is a no brainer. Baiting hogs should be legal everywhere. So I bait the area I hunt up with some fermented corn and my feeder is full of fresh corn. This keeps hogs in the area and they will usually cross somewhere close to my feeder. My shots will usually be longer than your shots from a stalk, but they are seldom over 100 yards so it's not a big deal. But this does dictate using a rifle capable of slinging a well constructed bullet at a decent MV to insure good bullet expansion. I have killed hogs with several cartridges including my .250 Savage. But my favorite rifles lately have been my 8x57 or my 30-06. My .270 Winchester has also done an admirable job of taking hogs too. In my 30-06, I shoot a 200 grain Sierra Game king over 56.5 grains of IMR 4831. This gives me 2600+ FPS MV which makes for a very lethal round for the distances I shoot.

Anyway, congrats on the kill. We don't do everything alike but we both enjoy what we do. So keep up the good work and I wish you many more great hunting experiences with hogs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, I #mostly# hunt like you. From a blind, on either trails, or feed plots. Stalking game has long been a goal of mine... this is just the first time I've been successful at it! Goodness knows I've spooked enough game while out looking for it on foot.

Luis
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Snake, I #mostly# hunt like you. From a blind, on either trails, or feed plots. Stalking game has long been a goal of mine... this is just the first time I've been successful at it! Goodness knows I've spooked enough game while out looking for it on foot.

Luis

Yeah, it's hard to be slealth when you weigh 200 + and wear a size 13 boot, LOL!!! So I figure what the heck, and just throw out the corn, sit, and wait, :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member

Luis

My early hunting experiences were mostly stalk and spot (as opposed to spot and stalk) for squirrels and cottontails, using the method you described, more or less. I would just go to a wooded area where there was a creek or slough and creep along at a snail's pace, listening and looking. When I was successful, it was a rewarding experience, and when not, it was still fun. It's hard for me to find a place where I can do that, these days, because there are so many city folks who will pay big bucks for any place that has game on it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's hard to be slealth when you weigh 200 + and wear a size 13 boot, LOL!!! So I figure what the heck, and just throw out the corn, sit, and wait, :tooth:

I'm 6'2", 220 lbs, and wear #11 boots. You just have to go literally one step at a time. If you can hear your step, you're going too fast. Which is about the hardest thing I've done yet.... and probably explains why this is the first time I ever succeeded. LOL

Luis
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member

You don't have to be too stealthy with pigs. They can't see or hear very well but will bolt pretty quickly is they smell anything out of the ordinary. Over the years, I've bumbled up to within spitting distance of bedded hogs on more than one occasion.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,862 Senior Member
    Congrats :beer:

Concerning the FTX bullets, I haven't been impressed with their terminal performance in 30 and 50 calibers, which are the only 2 I've tried them in.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.