Home Main Category General Firearms

Movie/Firearm ID...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,392 Senior Member
This is kinda a long shot (no pun):

I have a vague recollection of a movie I saw, probably in the 1970s. It was about a gun, an automatic pistol of some kind. I don't recall if the story followed this firearm from the factory or not, but it was used in some kind of crime (not fired). I remember that it was supposed to be destroyed - and was removed from a table or conveyor belt at the demolition facility by someone (a cop?) and taken home. At the end of the movie, a kid gets ahold of it and unknowingly kills himself - the first time the gun was fired its entire existence.

The pistol was named something snake related - "Cobra" or "Copperhead" or something else. Internet research shows that the movie gun has no apparent relationship with the "Cobra" or "Copperhead" of today. It was a pretty fancy pistol, copper in color as I remember. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 1911, and it had a fairly long barrel. It very well may have been a fictitious model.

Does this ring any bells? Its been on my mind recently for some reason - probably because I remember the pistol being a pretty one.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    :uhm:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Desert Eagle?
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    Do you remember who starred in the movie?
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    :uhm:

Pretty much.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Was it digitally remastered?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,392 Senior Member
    That's about all I remember about it. Saw it on TV in the 70s - it may have even been one of those "Made for TV" kind of things.

It was probably pretty forgettable, but I figured if anyone would remember anything about it, it would be a bunch of gun guys.

Haven't a clue who was in it - it probably wasn't Eastwood. (!)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    If this isn't a lack of pertinent information I don't know what is.
    Yea, like I said, it was a long shot.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    There were a few anti-guns/guns are evil TV and motion pictures put out in the 70s. And if not destroyed a gun will come back to haunt us like a bad character in a horror flick.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember some show like that, but it's buried deep in the cobwebs of my noggin. Your description didn't 'Trigger' my memory....yet!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • dlddld Member Posts: 411 Member
    that sounds like a movie John Wayne was in as a cop and it was a ingram mac 10 in McQ, if that is the right movie if not I don't have any idea
    dld wrote: »
    that sounds like a movie John Wayne was in as a cop and it was a ingram mac 10 in McQ, if that is the right movie if not I don't have any idea

There was a lot of shooting going on in that movie.
    Buford wrote: »
    There was a lot of shooting going on in that movie.

And I give JW credit to stop and reload the magazines in that sub-gun. It held what 32 when they guy was explaining it to him didn't it?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    I tried all sorts of Google searches, no luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Yea, I did too, with zero meaningful results. Thanx for trying though!

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    I don't remember much from the 70's!!:head:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

Me neither. I spent half of that decade 'haze gray and underway' visiting places where people hated us but loved our money. A love-hate relationship, as it were. :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams

I remember less from the 60s, except the music was good............:tooth: :cool2::cool2::cool2:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member

Hell, I don't remember much from last week!.............Having just made it to my 60's, it doesn't bode well for the future when I hit my 70's.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I remember less from the 60s, except the music was good............:tooth: :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Aw man, I remember a lot of the 60s. I graduated High School in 67 and went to a Jr. College 67-69. Then worked overseas for the first time in late 69 in Monrovia Liberia. But as for the rest of the 60s I loved the music and the Bond Movies, and a few others, such as "Cool Hand Luke." But I don't remember this one you're talking about.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Me 3
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    I know the movie you're talking about...It was made during the anti-gun Saturday Night Special craze in the 70's...it was a TV movie and if I recall correctly, it wasn't a semi-auto,,,it was a Colt Cobra...the movie tracked the gun from manufacture through a number of tragedies treating the gun as a sentient being...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Bunch of Goggle light-weights. The movie was "The Gun". A nondescript .38 revolver, looks like an older S&W, with custom grips.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071590/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_70

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    This may very well be "it" - although if it is, my memory is obviously faulty. I'll check into it further - and THANX!!

$58.75?! You can barely buy a box of ammo for that today!

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Zorba...........form your description, it sounds like you are mixing up several guns, from different movies. Stallone's 9mm Gold Cup National Match, with the cobra head on it's ivory grips, Christopher Lee's mocked up custom golden gun, from "The Man With the Golden Gun",etc. But this was back in the 70's........and I'm sure a guy that wears skirts was never involved with any pharmaceuticals, at that time. :roll:

800px-CobrGold1_zps315b9086.jpg

bond_golden_gun_zps372eeb43.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    Yea, it was a long time ago - I would have been 13 when this movie was on TV.