Home Main Category General Firearms

6.8 75 grain bullets in........

redbaron8redbaron8 New MemberPosts: 12 New Member
a full on .270 Winchester........ was looking at the RMR website, noticed the 75 grain bullets. Was wondering what kind of speeds could be had. My experience with 90 and 110 grain bullets leads me to believe 3600-3700 FPS could be achieved. Has anyone out there tried this combo out yet. Does anyone have access to a Powley computer that could run this combo for me. Or could point me in the right direction to buy one? TIA.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    redbaron8 wrote: »
    a full on .270 Winchester........ was looking at the RMR website, noticed the 75 grain bullets. Was wondering what kind of speeds could be had. My experience with 90 and 110 grain bullets leads me to believe 3600-3700 FPS could be achieved. Has anyone out there tried this combo out yet. Does anyone have access to a Powley computer that could run this combo for me. Or could point me in the right direction to buy one? TIA.

Are you interested in shooting this in the full size .270 Win. or the 6.8 SPC? The .270 Winchester will do much better with 100 grains and up. Yes, you can get some blistering bullet speeds out of the Muzzle, but due to the low BC with this light of a bullet, you will lose velocity very rapidly. If you can find a ballistic's chart that even lists this light of a bullet for the Winchester cartridge you will see that beyond 200-300 yards these light bullets in .277 diameter will bleed off velocity so fast that a heavier bullet will pass it up and still have much higher energy and will penetrate much better. Muzzle velocity isn't the whole story. You have to look at ballistic's coefficients and down range ballistics too.

I have shot factory 100 grain bullets in my .270 Win. but wasn't that impressed. The lightest bullet I shoot in mine and it is my honey load is the 130 grain. I like Sierra Game King 130s over 56.7 grains of IMR 4831. In my Model 70 Winchester Rifle this gives me right at 3100 FPS. This load can be about .75 MOA in this relatively thin barreled sporter. I've had this rifle since the Summer of 1966 and it's killed a slew of deer. Of course I didn't always handload and when I first got this rifle I shot mainly 130 grain Winchester Powerpoint and Remington Core Lokt Ammo in it. As I said, I did experiment with lighter bullets but wasn't impressed with them. Then around 1980 I began handloading and worked up several loads. The load mentioned here was the most accurate and performed the best on game so I stuck with it.

I think these bullets are designed for the slower 6.8 SPC and not the Winchester. Also they are probably designed to expand at much lower velocities so they would probably be grenades at .270 Winchester Velocities.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Sounds like the perfect bullet for the 270 Min......a bullet that will take a Yote apart..with no danger of over penetration...... ricochet............ or recoil...........Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    I need the details on this bullet....who makes it...BC, etc...please and thank you....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.....that should be enough....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Sounds like the perfect bullet for the 270 Min......a bullet that will take a Yote apart..with no danger of over penetration...... ricochet............ or recoil...........Ken

Yes but with such bullet you may be range limited

because it will shuck velocity fast when it gets on out there
    It's got no BC

It's probably good for about 200+
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Lightest .277 bullet listed in QuickLoad is 80gr QL predicts the 80gr @ ~3660 with both IMR3031 and CFE-223.

That stubby of a bullet is going to shed velocity quickly though.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    wait a tic....people will clamor on for hours about the versatility of the 30-06 because it can shoot 110-250 gr bullets, but suggesting any other caliber in the world can use lighter or heavier then the standard 2 weights is wrong? he didn't even state what he wanted to do with it, just asked what kind of speeds might be achieved. simple question, should have a simple answer - fast.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    wait a tic....people will clamor on for hours about the versatility of the 30-06 because it can shoot 110-250 gr bullets, but suggesting any other caliber in the world can use lighter or heavier then the standard 2 weights is wrong? he didn't even state what he wanted to do with it, just asked what kind of speeds might be achieved. simple question, should have a simple answer - fast.

Yes Dan there's lots of ways to look at this, but I just call it the way I see it. Fast-Yes, efficient-No. For that combination there are a hundred better answers. I agree, the 30-06 is judged to be versatile because of all the bullet weights made for it. But I believe that its true versatility comes on the heavy end. Or rather from middle to heavy. It will and has taken thousands or millions of deer size game with bullets from 130 to 180 grains and much larger game to include elephants with 220-250 grains. This to me is the true versatility. Yeah and with 110s out to modest distances it has probably taken its share of Coyotes too. But this is not its real cup of tea. It will work if that's all you have, but if you were to go buy a rifle for shooting varmints would you buy a 30-06? Or a .270? I don't think so. There true calling is for deer size game and larger . And they both are known to be very versatile in this range. But for varmints and small game to me it is a stretch to say that the .270 OR the 30-06 are really known for being practical choices for that. And, I never heard of these lighter .277 bullets (under 100 grains) being offered in .277 diameter until the advent of the 6.8 SPC. There's barly a market for the 100 grain, much less something lighter. And besides, a 130 grain will kill coyotes and varmints very well with less tissue damage and at longer range.
    With a sectional density difference of 0.140 vs 0.166

And while an 06 CAN handle them, how many folks actually use 110 bullets for ANYTHING in a 30-06? probably VERY few.
    In MY world, .308" rifle bullets BEGIN @ 125gr (0.188 SD) and those are for reduced recoil loads.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Snake, again he isn't asking for opinions on the best 270 bullet, just how fast it should go, and if anyone used it. If he asked where to get a good steak, are you going to tell him he actually should have a pork chop?

Paul I agree, I just love bringing up how every one talks up the 06 in that regards, but any other single caliber and you'll get told to try another cartridge instead lol
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Paul I agree, I just love bringing up how every one talks up the 06 in that regards, but any other single caliber and you'll get told to try another cartridge instead lol
    Lack of variety in bullets, and a lack of match quality bullets has always been my only real beef with the 270. (and the .277" bore size in general)

With the introduction of the 6.8SPC, there's a wider range of bullets for it now than I ever remember, but it STILL pales in comparison to either the next step up (.284") or down (.264)

Snake, again he isn't asking for opinions on the best 270 bullet, just how fast it should go, and if anyone used it. If he asked where to get a good steak, are you going to tell him he actually should have a pork chop?

OK Dan I guess I misunderstood. But also as I so Lamely pointed out, I believe those ultralight .270 Bullets are designed for the 6.8 not the Winchester. And yes, If I think the beef is rotten I'll suggest the pork, :tooth:

Not me, I never said the 06 was the gun to end all guns and good for everything. I think entirely too much is made of its variety of bullets. You can shoot a 300 grain bullet in a howitzer I guess, but that doesn't make it a good choice for anything but flies and mosquitoes.
  • redbaron8redbaron8 New Member Posts: 12 New Member

Wow, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition:roll2:
    I like to shoot things with very high velocity bullets just to watch them explode. Foolishly, in my younger days I wasted 350 Herters (original) .243 60 grain Wasp-waisted Spitzers shooting at crows, up in the treetops at 250-350 yards. I was using a TCR rifle in 6mm Ackley Improved that started life as a .243. We were getting close to 4000 FPS. It literally vaoprized the aforementioned crows. The rifle was very accurate. But the downside was that when the bore was shot out, the barrel was a loss as well. I did think about reaming it one more time to 6mm-06, but figured It would be a waste as the rifling was shot. I had a .223 barrel for the gun as well but I never realy found "the" load for it. It became funds for other toys.
    I am interested in seeing how fast I can drive 75 grain bullets for the above purposes. Depending on results, I would consider lathe turning some bullets with a sharper point and a higher B.C. and maybe bump up the weight to 80 grains.

So back to my original post. Can someone point me to where I might find or develop load data, like a Powley Computer, Ballistic Load?? TIA.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    Couldn't find data for .270 Win. for any bullet below 90 grains, and no data for the 6.8 SPC below 80 grains. But, the 90 grain load data for the .270 Win. could be used for the 75 grain bullets safely. You'd need a chronograph to get velocity data. I checked on those bullets, and they are frangible. There's always the chance that if you push them too fast, depending on their construction, they may grenade shortly after leaving the muzzle. They were made specifically for the 6.8 SPC and it isn't capable of the velocity the .270 could generate.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member

LMAO So true!!!!!!!!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    So back to my original post. Can someone point me to where I might find or develop load data, like a Powley Computer, Ballistic Load?? TIA.
    The quickload software I mentioned in my first reply. If you have the dimensions of the bullet (length, weight etc) you can add it to the data base and get approximate velocities and pressures for numerous powders. It also has a function for calculating which powders will produce the highest velocity at the pressure limit you set. That's where I came up with 3031 and CFE-223 producing the highest velocities with the 80gr bullet it lists

edited to add: I'm away from my "main" computer (Which has my copy of QL on it) for a couple of days, so I can't provide data from it presently

• redbaron8redbaron8 New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    Thank you Knitepoet. You jogged my memory. QuickLoad was what I was trying to remember. I will look into it. OOPS, I can't see $150 for QL simply because I will never use it enough to justify the price.I guess it would be simpler to use the pointed 80 grain 6.8 bullets as the 5 gr. is not enough to be worried about. As soon as i can get the dimensions for that bullet I will write you back. Thanks for the help, Red.
    Thank you Knitepoet. You jogged my memory. QuickLoad was what I was trying to remember. I will look into it. OOPS, I can't see $150 for QL simply because I will never use it enough to justify the price.I guess it would be simpler to use the pointed 80 grain 6.8 bullets as the 5 gr. is not enough to be worried about. As soon as i can get the dimensions for that bullet I will write you back. Thanks for the help, Red.

Sorry Red Baron for my initial negative post. I didn't realize what you were into. So many people want to neck a coke bottle down to a phonograph needle and see if it will go 5000 FPS and then think they can go kill deer or elk with the thing. I will say that for what it was designed for, the .270 Winchester likes 130 grain bullets. I push them to about 3100 FPS out of my 22" Barrel Model 70. But when I tried 100 grain hollow points in it they weren't that accurate and I experienced something with them I didn't experience with the 130s. Dead deer ran away! :silly: :down: :roll2: