Home Main Category General Firearms

Thinking about my next Project Rifle

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,387 Senior Member
And I've pretty well decided it will be a 6mm Remington built on my last remaining doner Yugo Mauser action. I will still have one more of those left, but it's the best specimen of Yugo I have and I will leave it in Mil Surp form. The one I will use for a doner will be one of the lesser ones I had. But it's still a solid platform for a build. I'll probably go with another Shilen barrel but it will more than likely be a slightly thinner contour and I will limit barrel length to 24 inches. I'll put it in a Boyd's Classic Pepper Laminate Stock. It will have a Timney trigger and I'll probably go with a Beuler style two position safety, as I've found that with a true Mauser action the rounds can be safely cycled through the action because since a Mauser hooks the rim of the cartridge under the extractor when it picks the round out of the chamber, there's no need to close the bolt to extract a round. Just push the bolt forward far enough to pick the round up out of the magazine and then pull back without closing it.

The Beuler safety is quite a bit cheaper than the three position Model 70 style I used on my .257 AI build. I They make a 2 position one like the 3 position Model 70 style, but I think the Beuler is smoother and easier to operate. I like it because it's very functional and smooth. And it isn't a big deal to install. I have one on my 8x57 Yugo and it's sweet. Smooth operating, Cheap, and very practical. What's not to love?

I haven't gotten far enough along on my thoughts as to a scope yet to say absolutely what I will put on it, but I want something solid but practical. I might try one of the new Nikon Prostaff Fives on it in 4-12 x 40. It is supposed to be a really clear scope and not excessively pricey. But that's not a done deal yet. We'll see.

I'm going with 6mm because I had one in my past life and have been wanting another one since I lost my BDL in a divorce. I recently bought my wife a .243 so i thought it would be interesting to have both. Since I have had a 6mm Remington before, i have handloaded for it. It was very accurate and I could improve on the .243s Ballistics with it, though marginally.

Also, with the Yugo action I won't be wasting a long action on a short action cartridge since the Yugo is a medium length action. It was designed for the 8x57 Mauser, and the 6mm is a necked down 57 mm case. So I can load out to a longer OAL and take advantage of more powder space.

So after much deliberation and thought this is what I'm pretty sure I'm going with. Any thoughts or comments?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    What will you gain in a 6mm Remington that you won't have in a .243?

Hornady lists MAX for either rifle with RL-22 or any other powder at 3000 FPS with a 100 gr bullet. The 6mm Remington has a larger case but no real performance enhancement. It propels the same bullets at the same speeds as the .243 using more powder.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    6 mm BR would be pretty sweet.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    What will you gain in a 6mm Remington that you won't have in a .243?

Hornady lists MAX for either rifle with RL-22 or any other powder at 3000 FPS with a 100 gr bullet. The 6mm Remington has a larger case but no real performance enhancement. It propels the same bullets at the same speeds as the .243 using more powder.

IMHO

D

It is possible to gain as much as 200 FPS over the .243. This is according to Linefinder and others who handload for it. Most published data won't tell you this because it's not run of the mill. On average in a real short action they are in a dead heat. But in a longer magazine and with the right powder, you can realize some real gains. However this is not my main motivation. I had one and I love the cartridge( It's easy to load for and has a lot of potential accuracy) AND I already have a .243 in the safe. Why have a 7.62x39 in a hunting rifle when a .30-30 will do more? Because some of us like something that's not ordinary. Everybody and their uncle has a .243, including me. I want a 6 mm just because it's getting rare and it's too great a cartridge to let die, if for no other reason..

Oh yeah, I forgot another main motivation. As I said, I'll be using a Yugo action as a doner. The Yugo is MADE for the 57mm Case, on which the 6mm Reminton is made. See my initial post. It's in the same family with the 7x57, 8x57, 6.5x57, and .257 Roberts. That's in the "Class of the Stars."
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    JKP wrote: »
    6 mm BR would be pretty sweet.
    This is very true. But so is a 6mm Remington sweet. And this is what I want for many reasons. And I have no aesthetic attachment to the 6mm BR, well not yet anyway. Maybe someday that will be on my wish list.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Of course you could go with the 6 MM Remington because.... you want one and they're not common. I mean, you don't want to be like one of those .270 owners, with their plain-jane, common cartridges....
    Overkill is underrated.
    Of course you could go with the 6 MM Remington because.... you want one and they're not common. I mean, you don't want to be like one of those .270 owners, with their plain-jane, common cartridges....

OK so I'm busted. But I've had that .270 since 1966 and this new found love for "Different" has only taken over my mind in the last 30 years or so, before I bought my first 6mm Rem. Times change, people change, motivations change. I've had that .270 for about 48 years now. It's like a house you've lived in that long. It gets comfortable. I'm not parting with it. However, I want this new rifle for different reasons.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    6 mirrimeter no can say. Leminton hahd to plonounce.

Have fun and good shooting.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,657 Senior Member
    Not sure why Snake needs to have a reason. I say if you WANT it, then build it. I don't care if you have 3 other 6mm.

Since when does need have any bearing in decision making on this forum?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    6 mirrimeter no can say. Leminton hahd to plonounce.

Have fun and good shooting.

Hey, as a joke, I'd love to go to a Wal-mart or some big box store and watch you tell the counter clerk you want to special order a "6 mirrimeter Leminton" :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:

I assume he is talking about a Yugo 24/47 and not the 48? I have a 24/47 MILSURP in pretty darn good shape, but I'm gonna keep it in 8mm. Probably be the last 8mm I'll ever buy since the K-98s (decent ones/ to shoot) are outrageously priced anymo.

They say that variety is the spice of life and each to his own, so not exactly the chambering that most would want, but like that old colonel once told me his college girlfriend asked him just who he expected to please with that little thing, he replied ME!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    It is possible to gain as much as 200 FPS over the .243. This is according to Linefinder and others who handload for it. Most published data won't tell you this because it's not run of the mill. On average in a real short action they are in a dead heat. But in a longer magazine and with the right powder, you can realize some real gains. However this is not my main motivation. I had one and I love the cartridge( It's easy to load for and has a lot of potential accuracy) AND I already have a .243 in the safe. Why have a 7.62x39 in a hunting rifle when a .30-30 will do more? Because some of us like something that's not ordinary. Everybody and their uncle has a .243, including me. I want a 6 mm just because it's getting rare and it's too great a cartridge to let die, if for no other reason..

Oh yeah, I forgot another main motivation. As I said, I'll be using a Yugo action as a doner. The Yugo is MADE for the 57mm Case, on which the 6mm Reminton is made. See my initial post. It's in the same family with the 7x57, 8x57, 6.5x57, and .257 Roberts. That's in the "Class of the Stars."

When I was first looking into rifles I remember that the 6mm Rem usually touted approximately a 150 fps gain over a comparable .243. Minimal improvement for a relatively substantial cost increase in ammo at the time. But I always lusted for one just because not everybody has one. Reloading would minimize any cost difference.... heck, for that matter... at today's ammo prices, factory 6mm probably isn't all that much more expensive than .243 anymore.

Luis

ps. That sounds like a SWEET build Snake!!!

<eta> I just checked... for comparable ammo, (ie. quality hunting ammo) .243 is ~$1.10-1.15, and 6mm is ~1.25-1.35. That's just not a dealbreaker for something you're not going to shoot all that much.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, as a joke, I'd love to go to a Wal-mart or some big box store and watch you tell the counter clerk you want to special order a "6 mirrimeter Leminton" :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:

I assume he is talking about a Yugo 24/47 and not the 48? I have a 24/47 MILSURP in pretty darn good shape, but I'm gonna keep it in 8mm. Probably be the last 8mm I'll ever buy since the K-98s (decent ones/ to shoot) are outrageously priced anymo.

They say that variety is the spice of life and each to his own, so not exactly the chambering that most would want, but like that old colonel once told me his college girlfriend asked him just who he expected to please with that little thing, he replied ME!

Yes Chief, it is a 24/47. About 6 years back I bought 3 whole Yugo 24/47 rifles and one barreled action when you could still get them pretty cheap. I have built a .257 AI on that barreled action. And one of the whole rifles I had sporterized, Timney Trigger, Beuler Safety, Boyd's stock, and also my gun smith put a stronger firing pin spring in it to improve lock time, all that the same as with the .257 Improved where as I put a Shilen Stainless .257 barrel on the .257 AI, except I left the mil surp 8mm barrel in place. Even with the stepped Military 8mm Barrel it's a great looking rifle with the pepper laminate stock, and it is one of my favorite hunting rifles. One more thing, on the .257 AI I had a 3 position Model 70 style safety installed, and on the 8mm I used the Beuler style two position safety, which I really prefer because it's so smooth to operate.

So the 6mm will be my third sportered Yugo 24/47. I will keep one as original military condition. These Yugos make great sporters, especially when used with 57 mm cartridges. They are accurate too. Even the one I left the military 8mm barrel on is capable of MOA accuracy with hand loads. I don't mind the step down barrel either because it's solid and accurate.

BTW, my 8x57 pet load is a 150 grain Hornady Interlock bullet over 55 grains of BLC-2 for right at 2950 FPS MV. That's the load that is MOA even with me on the trigger.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Snake, when you get ready for another wildcat chambering, I'll be glad to loan your smith my 8MM-06 chamber reamer. What's not to love about a cartridge that combines a .323" bullet with a full-grown -06 case? It also uses regular .30-06 Go/NoGo gauges for checking the chamber ream operation. Just ream the original milsurp chamber- - - -no restocking, rebarreling, etc. unless you want to for some reason.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Snake, when you get ready for another wildcat chambering, I'll be glad to loan your smith my 8MM-06 chamber reamer. What's not to love about a cartridge that combines a .323" bullet with a full-grown -06 case? It also uses regular .30-06 Go/NoGo gauges for checking the chamber ream operation. Just ream the original milsurp chamber- - - -no restocking, rebarreling, etc. unless you want to for some reason.
    Jerry

Teach, if I do this on a Yugo how much work is involved in lengthening the magazine to hold 06 length cartriges? You have told me in the past that it can be done on a Yugo. That is interesting.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I saw a couple places where you can get 24/47s for not too bad a price, albeit one place no matching SN# and one not in such good shape.

SAMCO's look pretty good. I may of gotten mine from them several years ago, I know I got my K-31 7.5X55 from them.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-2010.html

What I'm saying is you can get a good 8mm Mauser type rifle fer under $250 to shoot and add to your MILSURP collection even if they ain't as cheap as those Turkish Mausers used to be, were about as much as a pool hall house cue-stick back in the day.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I saw a couple places where you can get 24/47s for not too bad a price, albeit one place no matching SN# and one not in such good shape.

SAMCO's look pretty good. I may of gotten mine from them several years ago, I know I got my K-31 7.5X55 from them.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-2010.html

What I'm saying is you can get a good 8mm Mauser type rifle fer under $250 to shoot and add to your MILSURP collection even if they ain't as cheap as those Turkish Mausers used to be, were about as much as a pool hall house cue-stick back in the day.

I bought one complete rifle and a barreled action from Samco. I bought two complete rifles from I think, Classic was the name. The ones I got from Samco were in better shape than from Classic. But that's always a crap shoot. Both places had great prices at the time. I think I paid about $158 for the full rifles and about $139 and change for the barreled action. The prices were about the same at both places. Yugos make great donors though.

When I say full or complete rifle, I'm talking a rifle in a stock ready to shoot. The barreled action was just that, a barreled action with no stock. But being as I was looking for donor actions, I didn't care if it had a stock or not, except I did want one to keep as original military.
    Jeeper wrote: »
    When I was first looking into rifles I remember that the 6mm Rem usually touted approximately a 150 fps gain over a comparable .243. Minimal improvement for a relatively substantial cost increase in ammo at the time. But I always lusted for one just because not everybody has one. Reloading would minimize any cost difference.... heck, for that matter... at today's ammo prices, factory 6mm probably isn't all that much more expensive than .243 anymore.

Luis

ps. That sounds like a SWEET build Snake!!!

<eta> I just checked... for comparable ammo, (ie. quality hunting ammo) .243 is ~$1.10-1.15, and 6mm is ~1.25-1.35. That's just not a dealbreaker for something you're not going to shoot all that much.

Yeah Jeeper, That's what I've heard. My 6mm I lost in my divorce in 2001 I never got that out of. It was a Remington Short action and as I remember it, 100 Grain Sierra Game Kings damn near rubbed their tips on the front edge of the magazine. I had the bullets seated out about .030 to .050 out farther than factory ammo, but some loads I've seen are longer than that. So you need all the magazine you can get if you want to hot rod it some. That is the appeal to me of the Yugo for a 6mm Rem. or any 57mm case round.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Teach, if I do this on a Yugo how much work is involved in lengthening the magazine to hold 06 length cartriges? You have told me in the past that it can be done on a Yugo. That is interesting.

Sammi specs. lists the CAOL for the 8x57 and 8mm-06 as the same 3.250, no mag alteration needed, however that seats the bullet .090 deeper in the case as the COLA for a 30-06 is 3.340. If you lengthen the mag to 3.340 you will be able to seat the bullet .090 further out . lengthening the mag .100 is easy,( a little added clearance ) either grind .100 from the lower locking lug ( most common practice ) , or the way I prefer, take .100 out of the lower rear bridge and cut the bolt stop/ejector back the same amount. Than build the rear of the trigger guard to match. I like to use a M-70 30-06 follower in place of the 8mm Mauser follower.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Sammi specs. lists the CAOL for the 8x57 and 8mm-06 as the same 3.250, no mag alteration needed, however that seats the bullet .090 deeper in the case as the COLA for a 30-06 is 3.340. If you lengthen the mag to 3.340 you will be able to seat the bullet .090 further out . lengthening the mag .100 is easy,( a little added clearance ) either grind .100 from the lower locking lug ( most common practice ) , or the way I prefer, take .100 out of the lower rear bridge and cut the bolt stop/ejector back the same amount. Than build the rear of the trigger guard to match. I like to use a M-70 30-06 follower in place of the 8mm Mauser follower.

JAY

Thanks for the tips. I'll run all this by my gun smith who will do my work should I succumb to this enablement, . If I do it I will ream my existing sporterized 8x57 Yugo. I will still build a 6mm on the other one I had planned on using. I've been wanting another 6mm since my ex kept my old one in the divorce.

I also have thought about an 8mm-06 build too. I wish I had a Regular 98 to do it on. Then, no need for the lengthening process. I'm not sure what I'll do now. I do like my 8x57 as is though.