Teach hurt in motorcycle wreck this AM

123457»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    That spinous fracture should heal up without complication. Hopefully you get lucky with the shoulder and you stretched out all of the scar tissue and you end up with some better function. Do your rehab like it is your job.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach & Miss Mary, not much more I can add, just that I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope you heal up quick. Bless you both!

And maybe, just maybe, Teach needs to reconsider whether his two-wheel days are now behind him.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Teach, you got lot of "Hurts" Ouch!

Does the thought of motorcycles right now give you a queasy feeling in yer gut, kinda like throwing a drunk and walking in a likker smelling bar early the next morning with a hangover from hell?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,269 Senior Member
    Actually, no- - - - - -I'm looking forward to the time when I can climb on and ride again. Now, I am engaging in a lot of self-flagellation for doing something as stupid as riding on a tire that I knew was getting dangerously worn! I got over taking chances on worn car tires many years ago, and that bike is too heavy to even think about running around on slick rubber! Nobody to blame but me for my condition right now!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    Hang in there Teach! Sayin' a few prayers for ya.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Thanks! a reckless old fool like me can use all the knee mail I can get!
    Jerry
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

You got it Teach! Prayers for a swift recovery! :angel2:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    Jerry
    You're probably running neck on neck with my daughter - she's working on at least her third guardian angel. Said angel is drawing combat pay. The other two are in a sanitarium, and one of those is in a rubber room!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    Jerry, I'm going to come up for a visit this evening if it's ok. Be there around 5:30-6:00. What can I bring you? You want some real food? Magazines, snacks? Let me know. PMed you my cell # is case I don't see it here.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Thanks! Since they would probably frown on us splitting a cold 6-pack of Budweiser, just bring yourself!
    Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,062 Senior Member
    Actually, no- - - - - -I'm looking forward to the time when I can climb on and ride again. Now, I am engaging in a lot of self-flagellation for doing something as stupid as riding on a tire that I knew was getting dangerously worn! I got over taking chances on worn car tires many years ago, and that bike is too heavy to even think about running around on slick rubber! Nobody to blame but me for my condition right now!
    Jerry
    YES...THAT'S THE SPIRIT, JERRY!!!! You're a stubborn, hardcore rider like me. I didn't want to add my .02 to this because of all the "you really don't want to do that anymore do you," around here?
    PS: I don't think you're getting my PM's. If you get a chance, could you send me your email in a PM? Thanks. BTW, sorry for the additional bad news on your previously undisclosed injuries. I hope there's nothing else they didn't mention to you yet.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Thanks! Since they would probably frown on us splitting a cold 6-pack of Budweiser, just bring yourself!
    Jerry

Hey, I'm not averse to breaking the rules an sneaking a couple of beers in if you want.

Jerry

Understand, perfectly, my point is that the ol' carcass doesn't bounce back like it should any more. There's no complaint from me about your determination or emotional energy, but as is said, spirit is willing but flesh is vain. And with being a bit older, bones are more brittle, as you've clearly seen.

I hung up my "chaps" when my peripheral vision and reflexes began to wane. I've always enjoyed fast biking and just didn't want to change from 100+ on the Ninja to leisurely cruising.

But hey, we're rooting for you regardless.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Well I can personally attest that Teach is alive and in seemingly good spirits. He's a little more purple (ok a lot) than I remember him and got some hardware on him he didn't used to but seems to be doing well. Good to see you Jerry, hang in there bud.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    YES...THAT'S THE SPIRIT, JERRY!!!! You're a stubborn, hardcore rider like me. .

When ya get thrown off a horse ya get your butt back on, IMO Jerry aint one to call it quits.

JAY

PS Im praying for ya.
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    :angle2: Prayer for the foot swelling to go down fast so they can get it patched up. Hope that other stuff doesn't cause you more problems with the rehab.

I sent Miss Mary the orange sherbert recipe. Maybe you can talk her into making a batch and sneaking in a pint of it in one of those Thermos soup things. Might get that hospital food taste out of your mouth! :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

jaywapti wrote: »
    When ya get thrown off a horse ya get your butt back on, IMO Jerry aint one to call it quits.

JAY

PS Im praying for ya.

Totally understand the bravery thing but the human clock keeps ticking, and the ol' body isn't as resilient as it once was, easier to damage and slower to heal afterward.

For me, when riding a motorcycle became more of a chore and less of a thrill, I read the handwriting on the wall and reluctantly gave it up. I simply wasn't physically able to ride fast any more and didn't want to slow down.

I realize it's right for us to rally behind Teach in his recuperation, and that's totally a good thing. But he also might take a long hard look at the "big calendar" and give some serious consideration to hanging up his spurs.

I know it's keen to urge him back onto the bike but he's the one who would be facing another long bout of surgery and healing should he dump again. Life really does eventually impose some added burdens on us. I realize that it sucks big time getting older but facing reality is a good thing, I think. Just sayin' -- but Teach (and Miss Mary) have to make that decision.

My father is 89 years old, and it's a certainty he's not going to see 90. He and Mom probably won't get to celebrate their 71st. anniversary in October, as he is in the final stages of kidney failure and conventional dialysis is not an option due to circulatory system problems. When he was offered the option of something called "peritoneal dialysis" he declined, stating that simply keeping breathing for a few more days was not his idea of "living". I'm of somewhat the same opinion about curtailing the activities I enjoy just to improve the chances that I might hang around on the topside of the grass for a little longer.

For as long as I can remember, there has always been something, or someone, forcing me to make a hard choice- - - - -pursue some activity I really wanted to do, or postpone it and deal with the crisis at hand. Virtually without exception, I have made the decision to accomodate others, and get just a little more bitter about never chasing my own rainbows. Now the chase is on, and a few aches, pains, and scars aren't likely to deter me. If that tire had chosen to blow out just a few hours earlier, I would have probably become a speed bump for a couple of 18-wheelers, and whether or not to keep riding would have become a very moot point.

What are Dan Johnson and A.D. Ridge doing today?
    Jerry
    Sorry to hear about your father's failing health, Teach, although we all know that 89 is getting up there.

We know intellectually that we'll outlive the parents whom we love but emotionally it's still a hard row to hoe when they eventually do pass. Losing my kid sister (10 years younger than I) was very hard, but that's another story.

You do what you think best, my friend. (or what Miss Mary persuades you to do, ha ha) And we're behind you all the way.

Understand, I'm not trying to talk you out of riding again, just making the point that the facts of getting older are real and we've got to sometimes accept that, like it or not. I wish it were otherwise.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Some of us are destined to approach the pearly gates, park our Prius carefully by the curb, lock it up and slowly shuffle up to join the queue while clutching a bag of Tofu Sam..........................where they will shake their head and go "Tut, Tut"....................when some guy comes screaming around the corner in a 4 wheel drift with smoke pouring off the tyres, driving a V8 coupe belching flames from the exhaust , with a beer can in one hand, a blonde sitting next to him and watch him crash sideways through the gates.................

Its a matter of individual choice....................I know which one I would choose.

I will try and give you a wave as I go past Sam.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Some of us are destined to approach the pearly gates, park our Prius carefully by the curb, lock it up and slowly shuffle up to join the queue while clutching a bag of Tofu Sam etc.

Clever post, orchid, fun to read, and thanks.

When I head up there I plan, as I said previously, to order the fastest sport bike they have.

However, it's not necessary that we self destruct on the way, James Dean style. I'm okay with a halfway approach to the event, neither pushing my luck nor leaping in with both feet.

Figurative and colorful thoughts aside, however, and returning to reality, not fantasy, it's damn hard to heal up after you've passed 50. Bones just don't knit that quickly and other ills don't make it any easier. Common sense is a pretty good concept. I mean, I often am amazed that I survived into my 30s, let alone 70s. But there's no way I'd tempt fate by trying to break 100mph on a bike these days -- I'm simply incapable of handling such for any degree of authority. Everything in its season. I'm just kindly recommending that Teach ponder the alternatives carefully, is all.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Live it up Jerry. For someone who taught about (and probably preached) PM you made a pretty serious boo boo. Oh well now you will remember. :wink::tooth:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 308 Member
    Jerry

How old was the tire Jerry? I have been advised to replace them after 6 years, no matter how much tread is left. That info could have come from a MC tire salesman though.
    I have a 1982 XS650 with original tires on it. No cracks and plenty of tread on them. After your mishap, I think I'm going to replace them now.
    It's possible the tire was original equipment since 1986. The bike only has 35K miles on it. What I didn't realize because of all the shrouding around the rear was that it had no tread, and cord showing almost all the way around. I had already changed the front tire, and had a brand new replacement for the rear sitting in the shop. If you've got more than 5 year old tires, I'd suggest a change regardless of tread condition. Knowing better and doing better are two different things, and I've learned a pretty painful lesson.

Before this incident is over, it's going to cost me more than a brand new Harley, and that won't include all the aches and pains!
    Jerry
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 659 Senior Member
    What are you doing up sweetie? Are you having a rough night? Dang, this needing to be there and needing to get stuff fixed here to be handicapped friendly is the pits....and no, I couldn't sleep either. Arthritis is yodeling this early AM with the rain and just generally getting along in years....hang in there big guy, if you need me to come out there holler, I'll be there as quick as I can. :driving:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    I cant sleep either Mary.....................although its only 10.30pm. Just sent Jerry an update on whats happening here as I thought he might be bored when I saw him post up. Hope you are taking care of yourself........... If there is anything I can do from over here please let me know. Maybe I should clear out the guest bedroom so you can both come visit and Jerry can recuperate 'Down Under........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
123457»